Newbie- so overwhelmed

(Donna ) #11

I’ve never heard of adding a slice of bread after three days of starting Keto diet. This puzzles me. Do you stay under your 20 grams of carbohydrate this way?

(Bunny) #12

Slice of bread is well under the allowed carbs

(Bunny) #13

Preferably no bread, because bread not used after being milled within 48 hours has no nutrional value and causes diabetes in laboratory Rats, but I am a stickler and question research variables!

All my knowledge and all the astronomical countless bits of information; theories, hypotheticals, scientific research, medical physiology and biomolecular physics books boils down to me eating a cheap lunch meat (less than a gram of sugar) samich (because I know what it is going to do) with a slice cheese (natural cheese, not processed), a slice of lettuce and pepper! (don’t try this at home :scream: ) And an avocado on the side! Body burns it like it’s nothing! I control my glucose and ketone blood levels at will with surgical precision!

That is keto believe it or not! :sunglasses:

(Rob) #14

Typical white bread slice is anything from 12-25g of carbs (little fiber) so it does not fit in a strict Keto regime when there are many incidental carbs from healthy foods to fit within the limit. It is a quintessential empty calorie carb and hardly a good source of immediate carb nostalgia.

(Rob) #15

ASB has tons of good advice in her post but really, there is no need to follow that menu. It feels more like a classic restriction diet full of unappetizing stuff (sorry ASB) :flushed:.

There a plenty of more or less complex meal plans on the web that you can customize to your tastes. Create a menu that appeals to you within the approved foods. Initially, consider stepping down carbs (to 75, then 50, then 30, week by week) rather than just jump straight to 20g net. It is amazing how much easier I found it with just a few extra carbs in the early weeks e.g. I kept the croutons on the Keto salad in week one, halved them in week two (crushed to spread the crunch) and cut them in week 3. This will reduce chance or severity of ‘Keto flu’ and get you in the swing of things more easily.

A tip that worked for me was to pre-make a bunch of my favorite protein things that were already Keto e,g home made burgers, marinated chicken thighs, nice sausage, etc. and have them in the fridge or freezer to reheat with some Keto veggies (microwave steamed broccoli, green beans, sprouts, etc.) so total meal prep time in the week was 5-15mins per meal.
In the early weeks I would have 2 burgers or 2 thighs etc. for a meal but pretty quickly, I found that I only wanted one per meal so I reduced the pre-prep even more.

If you can’t eat things you like, you won’t stick to it. Ironically, your appetite reduces, you pick the things you like, you start to intermittently fast (naturally because you just skip meals) and suddenly food goes from overwhelming to almost trivial and fun (have that nice steak). It really doesn’t take that long.

Obviously free nutrition tracking apps like LoseIt, MyFitnessPal or Cronometer are really helpful in planning and tracking food/meals and checking labels becomes second nature. There’s No need to be a slave to the ‘macros’. I started protein heavy to begin with and adjusted as I learned new strategies to incorporate more fat into my diet. Now it is intuitive. Stick at it for a few weeks and you will probably feel benefits quickly which will in turn reinforce more confidence and ambition on your part. As we all say KCKO (it is so worth it).

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #16

Welcome! red meat and pork are fantastic for the ketogenic way of eating. Keep it simple in the beginnine is key. My two 9 year old LOVE their carbs, that’s okay. They are not insulin resistant like me and we’ll help them stay that way.

One of my favorite threads for beginners:

What’s your goal, why are you going keto?

(Bunny) #18

Little more clarification (for those who do not know this) needed on my ealier commentary, as I did not spend to much time writing it, when you are fully keto adapted, usually after 6 months, carbs can be increased (even before full keto adaption) up to possibly 100 grams (per day) or more depending on metabolism e.g. using keto urinalysis strips will test in the negative after six months or being fully keto adapted and even though you are fully keto adapted, if you are not aware of this problem, it can make one assume they are not in Ketosis, if they are not using a blood ketone meter!

The reason for carb allowance increase, more specifically after full keto adaption is because the metabolism has adjusted to burning fat and glucose at a much much faster rate (even before full keto adaption), and most likely much faster than existing research indicates*!

“Fat adapted (partial utilization of ketones for energy) not the same thing as opposed to being “fully keto adapted (complete utilization of ketones for enegy).” “Fat adaption” is only the precursor to becoming “fully keto adapted.”

*note: level of physical activity is also a factor.

(Liz ) #19

Any time someone posts about it being fine to eat something like bread, I try to add a note that some of us are eating Keto because eating a single slice of bread would plunge us down an addiction hole so deep and unforgiving it could be life ruining.

So I respectfully request if you are going to suggest these non-Keto ideas in the forums, please note that it may be something you yourself can do but that it’s not a universal truth for everyone and it could be super harmful to some.

Personalizing your response makes more sense anyway since we are all just telling our own experiences and have no idea if the things that worked for us will work for anyone else. Thank you.

(Bunny) #20

Your Welcome!

(Jen ) #21

Hi @roxchic!
I’m a single mama with 2 minions of my own. I eat 100% Keto (I’m new myself- 3 weeks in). It’s super easy! I was worried about the kids and me eating differently- so what I do for dinner is a meat, a veggie, and I make a starch for the kids.

They’re starting to become very interested in Keto, I encourage them to try things- it’s not too hard to convince them to eat bacon! :wink:

It’s very overwhelming in the beginning, but once you start it’s second nature. This forum is the best I’ve found so far! People are real and can help with lots of different things!

Best of luck to you!

I totally get this. If I could eat whatever I want with no health or weight consequences, I would eat mostly pastries and candies.

However, now 10 months in, I can honestly say that I really, really enjoy the food I eat. And many of these foods are items that I couldn’t previously eat often (or much of) without feeling guilty. Bacon, cream, and macadamia nuts, for example (er, not necessarily together, though I suppose that might be good).

Walking through the grocery store yesterday I saw so many holiday foods that I absolutely love. But you know what I love even more? Not being diabetic and feeling great.

You don’t have to make your kids keto, but you don’t have to feed them junk carbs, either. No one benefits from that. And don’t get them carbs that are tempting to you or your husband. Maybe fruit, for example.

I believe some studies have indicated an improvement in ADHD with a low-carb diet, so perhaps the answer is to ultimately ease the kids in that direction.

(Dan Morrison) #23

make it very simple. Don’t worry about fancy recipes. don’t eat any sugar or any high carb food. Stick with clads or non carbs veggies.

I wouldn’t worry to much about how much protein 1st few weeks, just eat protein or fat if hungry, over time you will need and want less.

Typical day for me is BPC in Am, sometimes I eat lunch sometimes I don’t. If I do, can of sardines and an avocado

Supper is usually 8 oz of steak or hamburger and I am full

(naina seth) #24

I suppose processed meats, like sausages, cold cuts, and meatballs often contain added carbs. When in doubt look at the ingredients, aim for under 5% carbs.

(JOE FABEETS) #25

I smoked for a good while and would quit and start up all the time. When I finally quit for good my weight just exploded. I still would have a cigar once in a while but I had quit any regular smoking. I still always wanted cigarettes. When I first started keto I was having a cigar once a week every time I stuck to the diet strictly. As the diet progressed nicotine became less and less appealing. After about four weeks i stopped these cigar rewards all together. I think smokers are always addicted for life but this diet has made want nicotine less some how. Could just be because I feel healthier and anything bad I try to ingest bothers me now. Hopefully it helps you in the same way. Good luck.

Hi! As you start eating more low carb, maybe your kids ADHD symptoms will improve! It is worth a try. Since you having trouble getting started, I say eat off Dr. Westman’s list of foods and don’t worry about counting, measuring. Just eat the natural, whole low carb foods (meats, cheeses, veggies, cream). Your family will probably lose weight to just by you cutting out the sugar and starch!

I know getting started can be overwhelming. Don’t worry about perfect just keep doing it!

(Naomi Brewster) #27

Hey @ketojoe I don’t know if this is appropriate - I started keto about 8 months or so ago and was smoking at the time. I tried to quit about 6 times as it didn’t seem congruent with making all the changes to diet without also getting off the fags. Eventually out of despration I switched to vaping. It has worked for me - I know it isn’t ideal but I see it as the lesser of two evils. Haven’t smoked in nearly 3 months. Also there’s an app I found useful (may have been a symptom of how desperate I felt) called ‘Jason Vale’s quit smoking in two hours’. I put aside all cynicism and disbelief and just did what he told me to do. It worked. I know how many times I tried before actually succeeding and am just grateful that finally it worked. Good luck.

(JOE FABEETS) #28

like i said i quit a long while back. I would just have occasional situations that where old familiar smoking spots or reactions to emotions that would make me want one. That is what i think will never go away. but like i was saying i feel like i have had less of those moments on keto… Thanks for the tips though living a better life is always appropriate.

(Naomi Brewster) #29

I obviously didn’t read your post with enough attention. And yes healthier habits are always a blessing

(JOE FABEETS) #30

No worries some of the best advice I’ve received in life has been on accident. :smile: