Newbie-questions

(Ally) #1

Hi Everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post.

I have started eating the Keto way. I have been totally cutting out carbs and eating more fats for two weeks but this is only day three of doing it exactly by the book and counting my macros and calories. I feel a bit trimmer around my waist already, in the last two days. I still find that the second I eat I get a craving for something sweet or even just fruit and greek yoghurt. Eating makes me hungry!!. Will this feeling go away eventually?( I didn’t eat huge amounts of sweet things before and I have eaten very very low carbs for years now. The difference with Keto is that my fats are hugely up and my protein is cut back and my carbs almost eliminated.)

I bought Keto testing strips. Is there a good time of the day to use them? Should it be after food?

I have no gall bladder and I take Thyroxine for an under active Thyroid. I also have high cholesterol. I wouldn’t dream of telling my GP that I’m doing kept as I know the reaction I would get. I’m eat fish but no meats or chicken.

Is Keto only going to work for weight loss if I am in a calorie deficit? I probably need to loose around 8kg. I do HIIT a few times a week, try to take 10K steps each day and I have just started kettlebells. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, I feel so new to all this.

New here- need advice

It definitely did for me. A. Bunch of butter / coconut oil in my morning hot chocolate keeps me satiated until dinner time with the family.

More fat!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

It did for me too. I am now doing 16:8 very comfortably. Many days it’s more like 18:6.

When I first started I thought there was no way I could do that as I had to have my breakfast every morning to get going. Now I’m fine without it.
And then I read about people doing EF and I think that’s impossible. But eventually I’m sure I’ll get there too.

(Ally) #4

sorry, what’s 16:8, and EF?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

16:8 is a form of intermittent fasting where you contain your eating to an 8 hour window or 6 as in 18:6. The remainder of the day you are fasting. If you see IF it’s some form of Intermittent fasting. EF is extended fasting. It can go a couple days or longer. I’ve seen many people talk about 4 days or more.
Sounds crazy, right? But if you’re fat adapted your body will tap into its fat stores.

I was ravenous the first few weeks, & ate lots of cheese & coconut oil, but it’s eased off now & I can do IF okay. Check out recipes for fat bombs, maybe they’ll help keep you fuller. But it will pass. Do not try to have a calorie deficit, from what I’ve read on here (& for me), keto works best & you’ll help your body adapt quicker if you don’t watch the calories. I’m only a newbie too, so hopefully some of the more ‘experienced’ ketoers will chip in with advice for you. And make sure you have extra salt & other electrolytes, & also watch the workouts, your stamina will likely be affected.

(Ally) #7

thanks, that’s explained some things to me. I actually haven’t felt as hungry today

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

The taste for sweet goes away eventually. Takes me a few months and then my sweet receptors ramp way up, where I can taste sugar in extra brut champagne (<1/4 tsp / 5 oz serve) and other supposedly impossible feats of sugar detection. If you are having sugar cravings while eating, you might try salting your food a bit more aggressively. Tends to even it all out and damp the sugar crave.

Thyroxine should help. You might need to get your dose adjusted as you lose weight. I think I might be a bit hyperthryoid with my 150/day dose, that was just marginally normal 3 months ago. Thyroxine should also straighten out your lipid profile a bit, as should keto. Traditionally, after six weeks, you see some improvement in HDL and Triglycerides, with LDL being a bit more random due to the wonky nature of LDL-C.

Use the strips whenever. There’s not really a good use for them. Just to check if you’re spilling ketones in urine, which is good, but isn’t the be all and end all of ketogenic dieting. I’d probably recommend not stressing over results and not buying them again.

Let’s see… You do HIIT, you’re walking, and you’re starting KBs, while keeping it Keto. I think the best advice I can give you is to keep calm and keto on.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

I had the exact same problem-eating made me hungry! Now I can comfortably eat three times a day without snacking. The fat makes one full. I have only been doing this for three weeks. I bought the strips a few days ago but they only turned pink for the first time last night after dinner. Back to trace this morning. I will experiment with morning as opposed to evening. I have only lost a couple of pounds but my neighbor, who didn’t know I was doing Keto, said I looked trimmer. So I’m thrilled. Can’t wait to see what the coming months will bring. Please check in often and keep us posted. Welcome!

What about bulletproof coffee? Does that count for breakfast?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

There’s some conflicting opinions on whether you can do BPC while fasting. The best guideline I found was nothing to drink if it’s over 50 calories, so BPC would be out.

(Chris W) #12

No,
I would encourage you to not eat a deficit at all for the first few weeks. It sounds as though you were calorie restricted for some time. You have to make through keto adaption which for you probably won’t take long if you were low carb already. Then fat adaption which will come in about 2 months time.
In the mean time eat when you are hungry do not fight your body. The first few days will be rough it is for everyone. After you make it through that I would eat as you did before keto meal timing wise. I would not encourage you to fast for some time until it happens naturally if you force it could back fire. IF typically happens first on its own for most people. That said some people can and do fast right out of the gate, typically from what I have seen they are not on a restricted diet before hand.
If you have metabolic damage it will take time fix it, and get your fat burning engine in order.
Your HIT will suffer, I would not stop it, but don’t expect it to be very good either for a while(weeks) until you fat adapt. If you do cardio besides the HIT you should consider pulling way back on that. Kettle bells depending upon what you are doing should show little difference maybe in week 2-3 for short time. If you are really active I would encourage you actually add extra fat in the next few days, its not critical yet but you will need it more and more as you adapt.
Salmon is probably one of the best you can eat on this diet. If you cannot tolerate red meat you may need to supplement because red meat does provide some needed nutrients on the this WOE(way of eating).

(Ally) #13

Thanks Chris, That’s so helpful. I’m quite good at fasting and IF so i could do it if it would help. Don’t I just loose muscle if i fast? Sorry but everyone and their granny is telling me that this is a stupid way to eat. (even though none of them have read anything about it)

(Chris W) #14

Fasting is a tool, and a powerful one, if you understand it properly. It can also be quite dangerous if you don’t understand what you are getting into. The structure of this WOE is to manage your energy in such a way that your body will use more that is readily on hand than it is when you are a carb burner.

What you are trying to accomplish is to get your insulin as low as possible for as long as possible, as well you are trying to get its counter glucagon to go higher. Glucagon is responsible for the catabolic state controls, much like insulin is responsible for the anabolic state controls. Insulin is the big bully though, if it goes high enough it will shut down the catabolic state (ketosis, GNG, autophagy, etc) and glucagon is inverse to it so it will drop. Insulin is also responsible for a hole host of other functions, fat and glucose control, fat storage, salt retention, to name a few.
When you eat low carbs you are low on insulin and there for the glucagon goes up and the catabolic processes start, lipids(body fat, trigs,) are mobilized to be used as fuel. Depending upon you level of fat adaption that may only be happening at the liver, or at the most of the cells later on at fat adaption.
Fasting before fat adaption can move things along quicker, but, and this a big but, you will only have the liver producing your energy. When you are in a catabolic state and do not take in any food(fasting) your body will use the fat for the ketogenic process, and what is extra is glycerin which can also be broken down if needed for GNG process to keep your cells that require glucose feed. Naturally your blood glucose(BG) will be regulated at a low level by the GNG process. It can and does use other substrates for the process, mainly protein. If you expose your self to a sudden demand of energy and liver uses it stores of glycogen(a form of glucose) it will need to use GNG to keep your blood sugar up or you will die. So if you don’t have a lot glycerin available, the body will use protein. Were does it get that protein from, well it could be from autophagy, bones, muscles, or organs. The process if done correctly is muscle sparing, saving it until last (true starvation) but if you press your body before fat adaption it could lead to some muscle loss. I would contend that you would probably loss that tissues anyway but instead of the body using it to repair other cells it would use it for glucose control. Its sort of extreme example but it could happen to someone who was not properly prepared to fast. The other problem with fasting is your electrolytes need to be in balance, and that is very hard to get in the first few weeks. You could go into what is called re feeding syndrome if you were to extended fast (EF)and you lost the right amount of electrolytes. I don’t want to scare you but on the same token these are a very possibility. I have issues my self if I fast over 48 hours with getting my gut working correctly again. IF in my opinion should only be done if you have a really good idea of sateity, full, and hunger signalling. I still have issues with hunger signaling at times, which means I can be at a energy crisis quickly if I don’t eat. I use so much that I have to plan 4 hours in advance very often, but that is me. Again you could IF right out of the gate but you really should be eating to your macro level every day right now, so that may be harder in the beginning.

I think this WOE of is awesome, I am never hungry, I always have energy, and I can do things I have not been able to do for years. Your hunger is your signal to eat, don’t ignore, let your body do its work, the rest will come with time. There is a lot happening, you may gain weight you may loose a lot of weight, its hard to say but don’t get to worried about it.

(Ally) #15

Thanks Chris, I might need to read this a few times to grasp it all. Thanks for such full answer

(Chris W) #16

Or like we say eat to macros for the first few weeks if you are hungry eat fat until full, don’t fast, drink a lot of water, up your salt, and keep your carb intake minimal.
I would like to tell people to eat bacon and eggs for two weeks only, I can and did nearly do that, but others are stuck in having to have variety something our modern way of life affords us.

Great info! One thing confuses me. If I only eat when I’m hungry, how can I possibly reach my fat goals for the day?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

Higher fat foods are more caloric, thus you can get more bang in smaller portions. By adding mayo, butter and oil to everything, you will up your fat without increasing the bulk of what you eat. Cook eggs in bacon fat or butter. Add butter, coconut oil or MCT oil to your coffee or tea. Add oil to your greens.
And if all else fails, find a fat bomb recipie you like, make them ahead and keep on hand. Popping one or two small fat bombs will up your fat considerably.

I agree Ally, I will need to read this a few more times as well. It is hard to absorb when it goes against everything we’ve done in the past!

(Chris W) #20

First off that would depend upon your meal timing, if you are only OMAD than you can stick that if you so choose but I would think it would system shock, and if you were restricted for a long time you would be used to that. The thing is some people like me even though it I was not a restricted eater per say, when I started with this diet brought about a restriction because I never counted a thing before it. I did not discover the eat fat until you are full until after I was keto adapted and well on my way to being fat adapted. I suffered for a few weeks, in more ways than one. So I ate to the macros for the first few weeks, then I cut fat and everything slowed down until I discovered the don’t leave the table hungry part eat more fat.

If you don’t eat like it counts when you eat, you will have problem I know the first couple weeks my intake was pretty high, then it slowed as I could not eat it all, then it kicked up again. And that is OK, its when you stop short of being full is when you have an issue. The system for me seems to pulse in days at around 2 heavy eating days and 3 light, and if I don’t watch myself the end of the third day I tend to over do it and not eat enough. I will almost always be tired the rest of that day. My hunger signals are not as keen as I would like them to be, but it is getting better. So yes you may have to force yourself to eat if you are new, but to the extend of being full from your last meal I find it unlikely that you cannot take in more. This should not be a long term thing, couple weeks on the average, maybe 4 if you are not right in the stomach. It only takes a couple times overeating of fat to learn when to stop. Hunger signals as well are more subtle if I were to place a word on it, but they do exist and you have to listen.

I like to measure my fat bombs out to be around 10g of fat each, that way the counting is easy.