Newbie Question! Keto vs Calories

(Hannah) #1

Hi all -totally new to Keto! I haven’t started yet… i’ve set ymself a start date so I can do as much preparation as possible to make the transition easier. I’ll quickly introduce myself, or you can skip that and just read the last sentence which is my question to you all!

I’m 28, female from the UK. I had a baby boy in July 17 and I had put on a staggering 4 stone during the pregnancy. I have lost 3 stone but I am really struggling with the last stone, mainly becasue i’m finding it difficult to get back into the mental zone of diet and exercise after the break I gave myself over Christmas.

I am a serial carb eater (pardon the pun) and calorie counter. My main motivation for starting the Keto diet is weightloss, and to wean myself off of my sugar addiction for health reasons.

So… to lose weight on the Keto diet, will I need to watch my calorie intake as well and make sure I am still getting a deficeit?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

No. Keep carbs low, and macros in proportion. And don’t eat 5000 calories a day. Not that you will. It’s really hard to do so as keto conquers hunger.

(Hannah) #3

Thank you for your reply @LeCheffre. What proportion of carb/fat/protein macros would you suggest?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

I’ll leave that to someone more similar to you goals to help you with. I’m not pure keto according to Phinney and Volek or Dr. Fung. Their books would be a good place for research.

(Dan Dan) #5

DR. Berg he explains it in a simple way (for a simple person like me) :smiley:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Hannah) #6

Thank you Dan_Dan! Videos is a great idea. I will be watching some tongiht.

(Alan Williamson) #7

The key is to lower insulin level. Cutting calories just makes a person hungry all the time. Eat fat, get thin.

(Karen) #8

Welcome Hannah! Lots of friends here, with good support!

K

(Hannah) #9

Thank you!

(Jeannie Oliver) #11

The video linked in the post by @chris500 is spam, full of misinformation and inappropriate on this forum.

There shouldn’t be any need for you to track calories, although you’ll need to keep a tight check on your carb and protein intake to start with until it becomes intuitive.

(Sarah ) #13

Your macros will be about 5% carbs 20% protein and the rest fat. It’s lots of fat. But don’t worry about anything but carbs for the first few weeks. One handy reference point. Youll probably be eating .75 to 1 pound, or about 1/3 to 1/2 kilo low carb veggies per day, and about the same amount of fatty meat or fish. And as much fat as you need to feel full. Of course there’s food like eggs or cheese or avocado, that contain a mix… you’ll find your groove. A couple websites I really like are ruledme.com and dietdoctor.com. the visual low carb guides on diet dr make the first few weeks much easier. Also look up recipes for keto ade or buy an electrolyte supplement at the store

(matt ) #14

Agreed and removed.

(chris david) #15

hey i am just trying giving some advice , i donot really mean spamming, you misunderstand @jeannieo

(Hannah) #16

Really useful info, thank you Sarah

(Jeannie Oliver) #17

If you say so. Since I don’t know you, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you are not aware that the video on that link includes a sales pitch for a weight loss program that costs $100, and it contains a great deal of disinformation about ketogenic diets and fasting.