Newbie question! HIIT?!

newbies

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #1

Hello everybody! I’m new here, been doing keto for about three months now…I’m a big exerciser. Love lifting weights and doing HIIT’s and have done for well over a year. Last week I got myself some urinalysis strips (I know they’re not the most accurate, and i was certain i was in ketosis but it’s affordable for now and I was curious!) Was excited to see myself with small to moderate ketones, as the day progressed the amount increased… however I was slightly alarmed that after a HIIT workout (a dumbbell one to be exact) I was practically out of ketosis!!
It took a day or so for my ketones to return! After further research i now understand why this happens - I was just wondering if you guys could suggest something I could do before/After a workout to prevent this from happening again? I don’t want to have to give up my workouts completely, but I also want to stay as far in ketosis for as long as possible if I can.

Do any of you lovely people have any suggestions? Looking forward you your opinions xx

(Bob M) #2

My ketones (I measure using blood and breath, breath sometimes, blood much more often) (almost) always go down after a workout, even if I fast 36+ hours beforehand. I find they bounce back fairly quickly, though.

The problem with urine strips is they only tell you how much you’re peeing out. If you use all the ketones (as you’ve done), there are none to be excreted. You could still be in ketosis by blood levels, but not by urine results. This is one reason I gave up on urine strips a long time ago.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #3

Thank you for the info!

I am starting to wonder if the urine strips are even worth it to be honest. They’re confusing me. I tested again after i got home from work today (ketones were moderate) had a cup of coffee with hwp and tested again later (out of curiosity) and they had all gone!!

(CharleyD) #4

You weren’t out of ketosis. You’d been burning up the ketones, for energy, and simply had none to spill (waste) any in your urine.

This is desirable. But if you really want to get to the purple on the stick, be prepared to water fast and hold still for a long time.:grin: Or drink MCT oil.

Pretty sure when you are considered in a fed state, you’ll down regulate ketone production and shift to using the fat you just brought in.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #5

Brilliant thank you for this!
I’ve been looking at MCT oil…gonna treat myself to some tomorrow! Can’t wait to put it in my coffee!! :blush:

(Bob M) #6

I bought bottles of MCT oil two different times, both times starting at a teaspoon of oil. The distress caused by those caused me to give the bottles away (one I think I threw away). I have been able to use powdered MCT oil, though.

You might not have the same problems, but I recommend starting slowly.

As CharleyD said, if you really want high ketone levels, the best way to get them is through multiple days of fasting (at least for me). I can also get them by eating really high fat meals (think pork belly with guacamole). But in general, my ketone levels are low (<1.0). Since you’re starting out, though, you’ll probably get higher levels.

I don’t think the urine strips are completely useless, at least in the beginning. You just have to know that things like exercise, hydration, and the like will affect the value they show, but you could still be in ketosis.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #7

In what way did the MCT oil cause you distress?

I was doing intermittent fasting up until the weekend when I started having a bulletproof coffee first thing in the morning…

(CharleyD) #8

I would recommend that you only put MCT oil in the coffee, although I’m wierd and also throw in flavored fish oil too and blend really well. If you’re chasing those ketone numbers, which I wouldn’t recommend, that’ll get the best results. (without dairy in the coffee I mean)

Keep in mind, the longer you stay fat adapted, the more efficient your liver will get with manufacturing just amount of ketones you’ve trained it to expect to need. Your body really doesn’t want too much energy, whether fat or sugar floating in your blood, so it only makes what is required.

This is why it’s not helpful to chase the ketone numbers if you’re just a healthy keto enthusiast. You will quickly become efficient and not spill as much as you did at the start, and you risk feeling like you’re failing, when in reality everything is humming along just fine.

(CharleyD) #9

Did you wear your brown pants today?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #10

Bahahaha!! :joy: I’m not wearing any!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #11

Only joking lol! I’ll bear that in mind though! :joy:

(Allan Misner) #12

Most of the folks on here have covered the basics. But I should put this out there. Exercise will change your blood sugar level and can decrease measurable ketones.

When you push yourself hard, as you do in HIIT, you tell your liver and muscles to release glycogen to fuel your battle. It does. Cortisol helps do this.

So, you end up with some excess blood sugar (your body doesn’t know this is a fixed period to respond to). You may produce fewer ketones during this period of time. Then, you stabilize and your ketone production picks back up.

My blood sugar goes up (from 65 to 85) after a tough cardio workout (long-moderate or HIIT). It settles down after maybe 60 - 90 minutes and then my ketones start.

Finally, don’t focus on ketone level. Any level is therapeutic. As long as you’re in the range, you’re good.

(CharleyD) #13

Indeed! I have a Type 1 diabetic buddy I take taekwondo with and at a recent tournament, which is actually a lot less physically exhausting than taking a class, but of course more anxiety inducing, just after his competition, his BG went up over 300 before he took his insulin.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #14

Thank you @AllanMisner I definitely pushed myself hard that day. It’s weird because I still ‘felt’ like I was in ketosis afterwards. Maybe it’s time to focus more on how I feel rather than what the sticks are trying to tell me?