Newbie question about body fat

(Fabian ) #1

As ketoers, we heavily rely on our fat reserves so I was wondering if the ‘quality’ of our body fat depended on the food choices we made in the past.
So basically, if someone eats junk food, poor quality fats… for 20 years, would their body fat be as healthy as that of a more healthy person?

Interesting question. I’d say that when stored, fat is fat is fat, all of which equals available stored energy. Sort of like having a million dollars in the bank - when you go to spend it, it doesn’t matter if you originally stole or earned the money.

(Joey) #3

I’m inclined to agree that the stored fat is the same - notwithstanding the damage that trans- and PUFAs may have caused to other tissues due to inflammation along the way (and the state of one’s metabolic health in utilizing those fat stores).

As for stolen vs. properly-earned money, I’ll refrain from offering an opinion.

I would think it’s the same at that point where it’s our own stored fat… We don’t just store things as is, it’s converted into proper fat tissue. We can’t even tell if it came from carbs or fat…

And I don’t think all ketoers rely on their body fat. If we don’t eat less than our needs, it’s nice to have but not actively used… Not all ketoers fast longer either…

From everything I’ve seen, it makes no difference. Because what you’ve stored has been broken down into what made it, it’s not the food you ate anymore.

(Robin) #6

Hey, welcome to our little community!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Welcome to the forums!

You ask an excellent question, and I think the answer is that it doesn’t matter. The fatty acids we store in our fat tissue are mostly those that have been converted from glucose. A lot of the fatty acids in our food get taken up into cell walls and the like, which is why the type of fats we eat does matter. It just doesn’t matter the way your question assumes. Don’t get me wrong, however; it is a very good question to be asking. Thank you for posing it.

There is a related problem that sometimes people notice when beginning to eat a ketogenic diet, which is that certain toxins tend to get stored in our fat tissue, and then they come out when we start to shed fat. This is sometimes what’s going on when a person has a bad experience starting off with a ketogenic diet.

I’ve always heard and wondered this but never asked. Which toxins or substances get released?

@PaulL I found this, which is interesting. https://www.usbiotek.com/blog/mitigating-the-risk-of-liberating-fat-stored-toxins-weight-loss-safety-101?hs_amp=true

Ha. Touché. My analogy ignores the morality of the observation and just focuses on the transaction/in/out mechanics. I should have probably caveated that in my original post.

To me it is a massive YES…we ‘store so much in our cells’ so inferior food means ALOT MORE INFERIOR storage of crap in ‘that cell’ so dumping of crap out of our cells will be an effect on each of us personally ya know…like that is why some people’s detox coming into any true whole food eating healthy change is massive, vs. another who ‘didn’t quite’ eat all the crap the other did…now throw in personal info like true medical issues one is dealing with and what prescip meds one is one and we got a ‘so gray area’ of who is who when ‘getting healthy’ but in the bitter end, WE ARE WHAT WE EAT and that means to the fat content cellular level.

remember also your fat cells and ‘what they do on a daily level’ of change down to that nitty gritty celluar level NONE OF US can ever calculate ever IS US and it is so personal from where we came from will show us a new ‘but tough adapt’ for many as we DUMP toxins from the body from those cells!

your ‘excess toxic fat cells’ yes did more damage to our bodies then one that isn’t ‘as toxic’ as another…again key being WHO are you before and where ya started your ‘health journey’ forward.

Stored fat contains the toxins ingested. Simple as that. As one drops it…it will release those toxins…hence one has worse ‘keto flu’ than another, one gets way more ICKY than another person.

our fat cells IS OUR personal fat cells and they store history. point blank. what they will dump as thru healthy eating changes will absolutely effect us on a ‘real celluar’ level as we change.

again, we are what we eat, fat cell storage included :slight_smile:

which is another thing that is said…do not rely on other’s experiences to ever be ‘all yours’ and follow their path cause on ‘that stored fat cellular level’ you won’t ever be that other person or on their timeline to heal.

See it all the time as an individual changes. Especially when ‘more new to change’ which is the ‘keto flu’ or we call it transition or adaption as we must walk.

New good into the body yet it is ‘now detoxing the fat cell’ storage of true toxins stored and dropping ‘that body need’ that works against us all and we can forward thrive thru this but walk thru the ‘dumping and changing of our fat cell storages’ …we won’t all be the same ever.

Fat cells can be massively evil :slight_smile: I researched it and what they release is never ‘a good thing’ to the body, it is a total effect against the body as the ‘history of your personal health’ is stored in those cells but luckily, WE CAN correct alot for us on our forward health.

There is a good out of the body thru fat cells releasing but we pay a price vs. the good intake which is NOW trying to change the body! So yea we all walk the walk, very personal to each of us.

ok just some chat :slight_smile: I enjoy this kinda chat cause I research this kinda stuff as I changed on wondering about it all. I researched fat cells and release in changes as we dump them and it was a wild ride of crazy on how just bad these ‘little storage cells’ can be :smirk:

(Denise) #12

I guess we’d have to put a sample under the microscope, analyze it compare it to any healthy fat we have hopefully stored some. I mean our body needs some fat stores ( a percentage of body fat) right??

they did. science says fat stores HOLD unhealthy crap, yet I can’t post the long ‘saved research’ info I did from years ago researching this but fat ‘cells releasing’ are not a good healthy way…hence adaption and detoxing from the release of bad ‘crap’ in fat but again, there ain’t no ‘general who will I be releasing’ this BAD cause we came in diff. as we change, so our changes are gonna be way diff

but darn. IF THERE a blank measure for it…there just isn’t.

(Denise) #14

I should have guessed someone has done the study :slight_smile: Makes good sense to do that!

yea I researched it long ago but not sayin’ all Iearned is IT ALL ya know but common sense thru researched show me OH SO much :wink:

(Rebecca ) #16

Welcome. I can’t offer an answer because I’ve never thought about it! But is still wanted to say welcome.

(KM) #18

There’s a second part to this. Your cell walls and the lock and key mechanisms letting things in and out are also partially built of fats. Someone - was it Nina (sp) Teicholz? - once compared building cells from bad fats to using Styrofoam balls instead of bricks to build a house. Might appear okay, but certainly doesn’t function properly.

As I go through my keto journey, I try to think of the good cells I am now building as I replace the ones built with junk like soybean oil. Nothing to be done about it, but eat well going forward. 7 years from now, my cells will be strong. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Denise) #19

Sounds good to me, I’m 69, starting very late with Keto (in almost 2 years now come January) and the change is extraordinary. Physically, mentally, emotionally, even spiritually :heart: