Newbie- no weight loss HELP! I’m ready to quit!

(Serena) #41

:rofl: love it!

(Tori) #42

Thank you so much for sharing!

(Tori) #43

Thakn you. I completely understand it’s not going to happen overnight. I have a hard time being patient.I really hope the weight loss kicks up soon. I having depressed symptoms over this life style, just trying to push through.

(Tori) #44

Ok Alec, so I changed my dinner plans and made ground beef 80/20 and cooked it in about 1/8 cup bacon freeze, topped with 2 tbsp sour cream and chalula then fried the snap peas in 2 tbsp butter. For snac I had agar free jello with about 2 tbsp homemade keto cheese cake. Hopefully this worked out better.

Today I changed my way of eating a little bit:
Bullet proof coffee - 1.75 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil
1 egg scrambled w 1tbsp butter
2 slices of bacon
2 slices Ham/ 2 slices chicken/ 1 slice cheese rolls w/ mustard
1oz cucumber w 1 tbsp homemade ranch (sour cream)
4 Spanish olives
4oz rotisserie chicken w skin
2oz fried zucchini (no breading, friend in canola oil in fryer)
1 pickle
1 whole deliver egg
3 tbsp land o lakes heavy whipping cream

Hopefully this works better :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

(Tori) #45

This is my goal according to the keto diet app. Not sure if these are reasonable goals.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #46

Looks reasonable to me.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #47

You could go a little higher in protein and less on fat if you wanted.

(Tori) #48

When I used the “perfect keto” calculator the numbers were very different. Now I’m not sure which one to use.
Also which app do you use for calculating micros?

(Tori) #49

Sorry I also have one more question. I know that the keto sticks are not very accurate to test with. But I’ve been using them and have yet to show anything less than a “small” amount. Does this mean I am likely in ketosis? Just want to make sure I’m doing all of this correctly . As you know people can put anything on the Internet these days and like I said before the books I got I didn’t like very much.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #50

That’s set to a deficit. See how it tell someone you how much you can expect to lose.
Don’t do deficits until you are fat adapted.

(Tori) #51

Ok, that makes sense. So would you recommend sticking with the micro goal I have now?
Whats the best way to know if I’m fat adapted?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #52

I definately think the first one you posted is the better option. It’s a bit low on protein and high on fat, so don’t worry if you go over in protein and can’t meet that fat goal, so long as your in the ball park.

As far as how you can tell your fat adapted, there’s no test, but there are a few things everyone says happens. 1) increased energy. 2) you aren’t hungry a lot. This allows you to naturally start to increase the times better feedings and why many start to do fasting. 3) better sleep and 4)no carb cravings. Oh and 5) better moods.

I have had almost no carb cravings since about week 2, even though I wasn’t adapted yet. But I have noticed a big increase in my energy and endurance right around week 6. I was able to increase my running distance of my pre-Keto daily runs easily at this point. And my sleeping had gotten better. I’m able to do IF, though still a long way away from EF with little or no hunger.

(Tori) #53

Thanks for the advice! I go through waves, in the beginning I wasn’t as hungry, then my menstrual cycle ( which was already 2 weeks late, i’m pretty regular) finally started, so I think my hormones switched things up a little bit. I do get hungry at times now, my sleep is hard to rate since I have a 2 1/2 yr old, as far as energy in comes and goes. So its hard to tell if I’m truly fat adapted. Like I said the keto sticks are reading typically small-moderate. Not sure if that counts for something.You have been so helpful and I am extremely grateful for your advice and encouragement!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #54

Yeah, my period is late too.

It’s got to be because of Keto, because it sure isn’t because I’m pregnant. :rofl:

Unless it’s early menopause.:flushed:

(Angelica Lopez) #55

This is the part where people here usually hate me. I see a lot of problems with what you’re eating. You seem to be more focused on the carb count than the ingredients, which is the mistake people make when starting keto. For example those bbq pork rinds have added starches, read the ingredients. Sometimes even added sugar and lousy MSG. Eat only plain pork rinds. Another problem is that trash Atkins bar. It’s full of sugar alcohols. This is the reason I started on Atkins and left it soon after. Their food line goes against what Atkins originally was and the whole diet is getting a bad rap now because of it. Next issue are the brats. Any type of sausage is gonna be cured with either sugar or dextrose, which is another type of sugar, including those beef sticks. That vinegrette dressing likely also contains a sweetener. Please make your own veggies. These green giant ones that contain sauces likely contain sugars and starches. Those almond pancakes are not for beginners. Right now is a time for adjustment and you are not eating very clean. Also stay away from cold cuts like ham and turkey as they are cured with sugars. You’re also eating a lot of bacon which again is cured with sugar. It is SO very important that you read every ingredient, even on your spices. Looking at only nutrition facts isn’t going to work. I made some of these mistakes when I first started 6 years ago but I quickly learned my lesson. Once I cut out the hidden starches and sugars I lost 60 lbs in 12 weeks, with no exercise. I also stayed under 20 carbs a day to lose faster, but things like bacon stalled me horribly. I’m 35 and I’m on the short side too at 5’2 but got all the way down to 89 lbs before I started building muscle. The cleaner you eat and the less carbs you eat the faster you will lose. Minimal ingredients is the key, and as everyone else said, you need to add more fat. Add avocados and more eggs etc. Buy Duke’s Mayo if they sell it in your region or order it online. So worth it and it’s an easy and tasty fatty ingredients and base for a sugar free salad dressing or veggie dip. Any other questions just ask and best of luck.

And that’s why it makes me despair sometime, when I accidentally break the combo within the first month.

The body will be thinking: this owner must have finally remembered potatoes and pasta after a long while of forgetfulness… Even though it seems like it is really once in a whole, this waiting phase is not too long for me to switch.

So yeah.
Every time starting the counter, restarting the counter, rerestarting the counter… It is starting to get annoying.

(Alec) #57

Tori
That looks much better… load up with fat!
Cheers
Alec

(Jay AM) #58

This is where I disagree. Beginners struggle just to get over eating so much fat. And then they struggle to eat enough calories. There are so many struggles to new ketoers that also having to obsess about each individual ingredient is ridiculous. A big chunk of regular ketoers don’t even do that and for good reason. Obsessive hyper focus on every little detail causes burnout for most regular people just trying to stay healthier and off a hospital bed. If I had to do that my options would be to not eat and that’s it. My life is lived off fast food, questionable restaurants with questionable nutrition facts, Wal-Marts that aren’t even savvy enough to carry Stevia or high fat beef just because of my job.

I’ve said this before, everyone has their soap box demon. Yours is ingredients and that’s fine for you. But, telling anyone that they have to worry about not only carbs but now ingredients when they are still trying to figure out how to keto is like switching the game from tutorial to hell mode.

I have a few ingredients I agree should be avoided. Maltitol and xylitol for example because often they demonstrate a glucose effect. Someone’s fats shouldn’t be primarily seed oils and should be animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and butter as often as possible. But, if something has starches and the carb count still fits, go for it if that’s what you’ve got to work with. Also noting that MSG has been highly demonized while it’s being ignored that glutamic acid (what MSG is) is found naturally in aged cheese, walnuts, broccoli, mushrooms, and other items. And, sugar cured items have negligible amounts added for browning purposes. Minute amounts of starch are added to some seasonings to help them stick to foods. Some vegetables contain nitrates.

I’m not trying to disagree that ingredients can be important but, for the general population and especially newbies, it’s a lot more than necessary. Everyone eventually chooses what to focus on with more learning and figure out what can be ignored.

when asked what to do I reply with stop sugar and grain, and add in good fats. Until that adjustment is made I delay further information. For most the sugar thing is the hardest and the most important. Problem is many people only want to be given a plan but not willing to find it out on there own. So make a task of finding the sugars, eg. I was talking to a guy that has been LCHF for 15 years and could not lose any more weight, and he was only eating one meal a day. He did not recognize the half gallon of milk he had in his coffee each morning as sugar.

I don’t think the point was to be obsessed about ingredients, but rather try to eat the least processed foods we can in general. That by itself takes care of the usual suspects of keto sabotages :slight_smile: