Newbie- no weight loss HELP! I’m ready to quit!

(Alec) #21

I would say, too much veg and not enough fat. Try halving the “healthy” veg/salad and doubling the fat. Make sure everything is dripping in butter or a fatty sauce.
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #22

Are you seriously only eating 600 calories max?
If that’s correct, your body is in Starvation mode and it’s holding onto every bit of fat it can to protect itself. You can’t sustain yourself on 600 calories or less a day. No one can.

Pleas tell me I’m interpreting that wrong.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #23

Sorry, I’m not used to this tracker. Pleas disregard. I had a wth moment there.

So if those are what’s left, what were the goals to begin with?

(Tori) #24

Thanks Alec and LeeAnn,
Here’s the recommended parameters, this is the “keto diet” app.
I’ve been cooking with butter and bacon grease instead of olive oil. My salads are pretty well covered, in a zero carb dressing. I guess I’ll have to find a way to add more fat.

(Jean Guthrie) #25

I am only in 6 weeks and I am down 5 pounds. I feel like I fight for every pound I lose. I was frustrated beginning of May so I weighed and measured and then stayed off the scale. I got on the scale the other day and I lost 1 pound and was not too happy but still -1 is better than none. I did however measure and I lost 1 inch in my stomach, waist and hips. I have had a lot of trouble losing any stomach fat so this made me happy. My clothes are fitting better and I feel pretty good. That being said, make sure to measure and if your weight loss is slow you might find inches are leaving. I am hoping in time the weight will catch up and leave too :slight_smile: Good luck!

(Tori) #26

So far today I’ve had:
1 egg,
2 slices of bacon,
bullet proof coffee 1
grilled chicken Caesar salad ( no croutons)
Atkins green yogurt bar.

Dinner planned is
4oz snap peas
Chicken 1 breast
Mixed greens salad

That day is NOT enough fat (or food) and could realistically pass for a calorie counting low fat persons diet, you’ve gotta stop being so restrictive with your eating. Aren’t you hungry all the time eating like that?

(Tori) #28

Yes I get hungry, but not often. I guess I just haven’t found food low carb foods other than bacon and eggs :confused:I’m definitely open to suggestions. I’m not big on avocados I know a lot of people recommend those. But that’s why I came here, the helpful tips and encouragement.

(Tori) #29

I should probably clarify that statement. There are low carb foods such as vegetables etc. ham and cheese. But looking for other alternatives. Trying to keep my Car for countdown during the day since dinner is my favorite meal and I enjoy cooking.

(Randy) #30

Someone with only 30 lbs to lose is very unlikely to lose 10 lbs in a month. You don’t have enough fat cells to draw from. You’re lucky.

Try to focus on long term health benefits. The stories of people losing huge amounts of weight fast were, well… huge to begin with. Like me.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

I agree that your fat is way too low.

If you just want to do Atkins style low carb, that’s one thing, but if you want to do Keto, you need to way up your fat intake. It should be 70-75% your total daily calories.

As I suspected, you are way under eating. The last post you only consumed 1024 calories, and not much more on the middle post. You were just under 1300 on the first.

Those are starvation levels. Even the smallest of adults should be north of 1300 average. You’re slowing down your metabolism and stalling weight loss. You should be in the 1600 range like your goals state.

You cannot treat Keto like a low fat, calorie in vs calorie out (CICO) diet. It will not work that way. You have to trust the process.

(Mandy) #32

Your meals look like mine did when I was on a low fat, low calorie diet and some of my first week on keto. Throw caution to the wind…you really have to change your way of thinking when doing keto, specially if you have come from a mindset of SAD or not eating but so many calories in a day. I tracked and tracked, because I have for over 10 years, but it didnt pan out. The moment I started eating allllllllll the fat, I really started feeling better. My energy increased. My mood increased. give the chicken breast to the dog, get some chicken thighs. eat all of the skin, hell, eat all the skin off of 5 of them. use it as croutons. FAT FAT FAT SALT FAT VEG FAT :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #33

Try buying a Keto cookbook since you enjoy cooking. They all break out the macros. Be sure to pick ones that best fit the 76/20/5 ratio until you learn how to supplement fat with recipies that are not as ideal macro wise.

Make a lunch out of specialty cheeses (watch the carbs on added flavors) and no sugar added deli meats like salami. Add a few olives.

Add mayo, olive/alvacado/coconut oil, or butter to everything. Too your meat and veggies with it.

Make a super high fat and tasty coke slaw with green cabbage and homemade mayo.

For a quick easy dessert I take 3 tablespoons of marscapone cheese, sprinkle a little cinnamon, a 1/4 tsp vanilla and a tiny squirt of Stevia and mix it all up. Yummy.

Find recipies for fat bombs and make ahead to pop a few when your macros are lacking.

(Alec) #34

Tori
Where’s the fat? This is a low fat low calorie dinner. Peas are not a great keto food (real shame cos i LOVE them!! :sob:), anyone who mentions chicken breast sounds stuck in CW (it is the lowest fat part of the bird), and more salad (salad is ok, pls tell me you smother it in mayo or butter?).

If that’s your total intake for the day, it just isn’t enough. Do you like butter? Smear everything with butter (thickly)!
Cheers
Alec

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

I recently discovered this video, which you may find very helpful:

(Sheri Knauer) #36

Ingredients are just as important as macros, maybe even more. You really have to watch out for added sugar, which those atkins bars, packaged veggies with cheese sauce, bbq pork rinds all have as well as bad oils. When you are buying groceries, read the ingredients, don’t just look at the nutrition label. Swap the chicken breast for chicken thighs (with the skin). Swap the pork loin for a nice bone in pork chop with some nice fat on it. Swap out the packaged vegetables for fresh vegetables that you can roast in the oven in coconut oil. Dont buy store made dressings because they are either made with bad oils like soybean oil and/or they have added sugar and other chemicals. Instead make your own dressing using olive oil and spices or I really like to use sour cream with some of Trader Joes everything but the bagel spice mixed in. Or I will just pour warm butter over my salad and add salt.

(Serena) #37

Thank you !This has helped me ! I’ve been on keto properly since 15th of May and so far lost 1.8 kg . I’m worried I’m doing it wrong but I don’t want to quit because for the first time ever I’m not hungry :yum:. I’m 97 kg , 154 cm tall and would like to be 60kg however I would like to have more energy than weight loss and to lose some "brain fog " :rofl:

(Serena) #38

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Brian) #39

At 3 weeks, you’ve only just started.

Have you ever heard about someone who heard that there was going to be a meteor shower so they went outside and looked up in the sky, didn’t see any shooting stars, so went back in the house to do something else? That’s about what you’ve done as far as starting your new way of eating.

Grab a comfortable chair and stick around for a while. Like in a meteor shower, it doesn’t happen when we push a “play” button on a remote. It takes time. And if you’ll hang in there for a while, you may see some really good stuff happening.

At 3 weeks, your body is probably saying, “I think you forgot to get potatoes and pasta at the store.” Maybe at 3 months, it will be saying something more like, “I guess they’re not buying potatoes and pasta anymore so I’ll have to burn something else for fuel. This fat seems to work pretty well.”

Patience, grasshopper. :slight_smile:

(Serena) #40

Thank you! Very helpful info :+1:t2: