Newbie needing some advice

No doubt this has been covered but not seeing a search feature around here.
I am mainly a beer drinker and then switch to Captain Morgan and Coke. That all needs to change as heading to Keto in the next couple of weeks. (Not throwing away a bunch of food. HA!)
I am a social drinker and mainly go to the bars once a week or so and rarely drink at home.
I will not drink diet soda and know that plain soda is out of the question. I also know that fruit juices are out of the question. (Sigh, no OJ.)
So need advice about what the bars would generally have to mix with Capt. Morgan, Jamieson whiskey, or Vodka. A lot of recipes I have seen are specific stuff you would mix at home but not out on the town.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Allan Misner) #2

Iā€™d try vodka, club soda, with some lime. And you can mix in some that doesnā€™t have the vodka. But realize that alcohol affects us differently when weā€™re in ketosis (aka cheaper date).

Top right corner. Magnifying glass.

(Roy D) #4

Lots of info on keto mixed drinks. Try Googling terms such as ā€œketo mixed drinksā€

KCKO

Roy D

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #5

Vodka club soda FTW (NOT tonic water, which has sugar)

(MooBoom) #6

Heya @flipsteeler, welcome.

If your reason for going keto is weight loss, be aware that any alcohol you drink will be preferentially metabolised ahead of any other fuel source, just the same as on the SAD diet. So it has the potential, if not the likelihood, of stalling weight loss when consumed.

If youā€™re not bothered about that or have other reasons for going keto, then my advice would be that clear spirits tend to be the lowest in carbs (vodka, gin). Very dry white and red wine slightly more carbs, but still ā€˜okā€™ to have a glass now and then. Stay away from any beer, whiskey, scotch- any dark liquor really. Also avoid sweet wine, brandy, fortified wine, flavoured spirits etc.

Mixers-wise, switch up your sugar laden mixer for the zero sugar verision. Coke No Sugar goes surprisingly nicely with vodka, there are diet (zero sugar) tonic alternatives (Schweppes) for gin too. I wouldnā€™t say go crazy on the no sugar mixers though, they really arenā€™t great for your overall health and can leave you with rampant carb cravings.

As you adapt to a ketogenic way of eating your taste buds will become more sensitive to flavour/sweetness so you should be able to get rid of the imitation sweet mixers, and opt for soda with a twist of lime/lemon etc. Muddling a bit of fresh orange rind and some mint works super well. Cucumber and gin go nicely together too!

Your tolerance for alcohol will likely plummet once youā€™ve been doing keto a while. I used to be able to tolerate alcohol frustratingly well, now I can just about manage one glass of wine before Iā€™m practically under the table. Iā€™m a lot more pre-disposed to brutal hangovers too!

Given you are new to Keto, do spend some time researching in the Newbies section of the forum- and read up on electrolytes. You will need more sodium than you think, and probably magnesium and potassium too.

See you around!

(Scott) #7

Yes beer has carbs but scotch has zero carbs.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #8

I donā€™t like beer, but apparently there are some low carb ones. You would need to research the local brands in advance, thoughā€¦

(MooBoom) #9

:scream: thank you!!! I honestly thought it was loaded with carbs but looked it up and youā€™re absolutely right. None! Iā€™m so looking forward to a Scotch now :blush:

Thanks, everyone for your replies.
Oddly enough, I still do not see a search icon. Even disabled my add blocker.
My primary goal is weight loss. Too many years of sports took their toll on my legs and keep running into more issues because of an extra 40 lbs or so.
I do understand that alcohol can/will makes things a bit difficult. Just need to cut out the 2nd day of fun. :stuck_out_tongue:
I will have to try out the club soda and see what happens. I really do not think I have ever had club soda. (That would not be bad if I was 24 and not twice that.)
I had three Michelob Ultras on Monday and nothing more. Basically, water with some flavoring there but I may be able to live with it.
I see Capt Morgan has .4 carbs, just need to find something to mix. Artificial sugars are out.

Thatā€™s a shame because the search function is excellent. Iā€™ll tag an admin - they may have an answer for you.

Any ideas @PaulL?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

The recent upgrade seems to have affected the colors of the standard theme, making a couple of option icons difficult to see. The magnifying glass icon for the search function is to the left of your avatar, which you can find at the top right of the screen. From right to left, there is your avatar, the hamburger menu, and the magnifying glass. If you hover your cursor over your avatar and move it in a straight line left, the cursor will highlight the hamburger and the magnifying glass, respectively. Then you should have no trouble seeing them.

We are trying to get the color adjusted. Between moving the forums from one Web host to another and performing several software upgrades issued by Discourse, we have been experiencing a number of glitches of this sort.

Thanks, Paul! I did not see it at all until you pointed it out. Very very hard to see.

(PSackmann) #14

Not sure how adventurous you are, if you like trying new things think about ditching the mixers altogether. Vodka is pretty flavorless, gin and tequila can have interesting and distinct flavor profiles. Get them with a water on the side and opt to sip, enjoying the flavors. Some people can do that with rum, not me yet but Iā€™m trying. Of course scotch, bourbon and whiskey are made for sipping straight as well (well, not for me though). And yes, be prepared for it to hit you harder.

(MooBoom) #15

My interface just updated- itā€™s heaps easier to see now! Good work team :+1:

Itā€™s blinding! Iā€™m going to get a migraine :exploding_head:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

We donā€™t need no stinking mixers! :cowboy_hat_face::tumbler_glass:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Should be fixed, now.