Newbie in need of help please

conversationstarters
keto
newbies

(Beth Stroud) #1

So I am overweight, and I have decided to plan out the keto diet for just after Christmas and get my health back up to scratch. I’ve been doing some research, and I’m a bit confused where it has a number of carbs by a food.

For example, it says (copy and pasted) -
Carb counts represent net carbs for a standard serving size of 100 grams for each vegetable (3½ ounces, about the weight of an average tomato).

For example, 100 grams of asparagus contain 2 net carbs while 100 grams of broccoli contain 4 net carbs.

Is there a specific daily intake? Can someone explain this to me a bit? Thanks in advance!

(John) #2

Good that you are planning in advance, so you have plenty of time to read up. Here are some good starting places:

Note that some of these sites want to sell you a book or a plan. That’s OK, people need to make a living somehow. There is a lot of valid, free information on these sites that don’t require you to buy anything. I am not affiliated with any of them. Just some places I have used to educate myself, and to compare and contrast approaches.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/well-formulated-ketogenic-diet/

(Bunny) #3

I do not count or consider veggies (e.g. leafy, greens cruciferous) a carb (only when you get into fruits) and do not cook them; only eat them raw (sour cream to dip them in) or fermented veggies (easier to digest) so I eat as much as I want (never has and never will kick me out of ketosis). To me all those glycemic and insulin indexes are a bunch of mumble jumbo; it is all about the leptin resistance; when you dig deep enough?

References:

3 Types of Carbohydrates:

1. Fiber (a major source of micronutrients; excluding bread)
  1. Sugar (including all bread, grain types/bleached flour; galactose)
  1. Starch (below)

Types of Resistant Starch; Not all resistant starches are the same. There are 4 different types (2):

• Type 1: Is found in grains, seeds and legumes and resists digestion because it’s bound within the fibrous cell walls.
  • Type 2: Is found in some starchy foods, including raw sweet potatoes and green (unripe) bananas. (THE KIND YOU WANT ON KETO!)
  • Type 3: Is formed when certain starchy foods, including potatoes and rice, are cooked and then cooled. The cooling turns some of the digestible starches into resistant starches via retrogradation (3).
  • Type 4: Is man-made and formed via a chemical process. …More

Insulin & Glucagon:

1. Insulin is a anabolic (synthesis) hormone (anabolism is powered by catabolism, where large molecules are broken down into smaller parts and then used up in cellular respiration) = CARBOHYDRATES
  1. Glucagon is a catabolic hormone (stimulates breakdown, production of glucose). = PROTEIN
  1. Effect of eating vegetables before carbohydrates on glucose excursions in patients with type 2 diabetes
  1. USA: To calculate the net carbs in WHOLE FOODS, subtract the fiber from the total number of carbs. To calculate the net carbs in PROCESSED FOODS, subtract the fiber and a portion of the sugar alcohols. …More

Getting sick of meat
(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

When I started I bought a little book of carb/protein/fat of every food imaginable to keep in my purse. After a while you’ll memorize them and just know what is low carb and what’s not. Until then, really look at things.

In the US you see Total Carb, then fiber (which is subtracted from total carbs to get …), Net Carbs and under that carbs from sugar. Your goal is to keep your carbs under 20 g a day.

Why wait until after Christmas? Simply begin the basic principles of Keto as you read up on it, such as avoiding refined sugar, trying to keep carb intake below 100 carbs per day for practice. Also maybe skipping one meal per day. Getting out and taking a short walk. Lot of things you can do to work up to full Keto.

Like you, we all find Christmas time daunting and you will read a lot of horror stories about 10-pound gains. But such is life. Get a handle on it now. Prepare. Now. Don’t get blindsided or overwhelmed later.

(Laurie) #6

Hi Beth. I’m not sure I understand your question. Do you mean how many grams of carbs should we be eating? As a general guideline for beginners, fewer than 20 (net) grams a day.

Personally, I eat very few vegetables. I use a few condiments and other extras (salsa, tomato sauce, cream in my coffee), which have a few carbs. And there are carbs in eggs and various other foods, so it adds up. I figure I get close enough to my quota without even eating vegetables. Of course, some ketoers do eat salads and cooked vegetables (such as broccoli and cauliflower) every day.

I hope that helps.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #7

Totally agree with this! If you can get through Christmas as keto then you can get through anything.