Newbie & Help with Gastroparesis?

(Adrienne) #1

Hello, everyone!

I started my Keto journey a week ago (on Sunday, May 20th) upon the recommendation of my primary care physician. He is an osteopath, and in response to my chronic joint pain issues, suggested the ketogenic diet. He stated that at 3 weeks in to it himself, that his joint pain had reduced by 50%. Sign. Me. Up. If I lose weight, so much the better (I’m about 100-120 lbs overweight.)

I have a rare autoinflammatory disorder (CAPS), rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue/EBV infection, and IBD. I’ve had no serious carb cravings, only a lingering urge to eat berries. My biggest challenge thus far is gastroparesis. It’s nothing new, but since starting this WOE, I have a constant “lead weight” feeling in my stomach. I doubt I’m in ketosis, yet, but got hit hard by the keto flu the past 5 days. Sick leave on Thursday due to the worst migraine in years, massive fatigue, and all this is triggering CAPS symptoms. Other than eating more frequent and smaller meals, does anyone have any recommendations for getting my stomach to empty in less than 4 hours? (ugh!)

Some caveats, I guess…I’m deathly allergic to avocados, and have some significant issues with eating in general due to decades of negative reinforcement from how poorly I handle fresh vegetables (forget raw anything with insoluble fiber other than cabbage (which I can eat with impunity), and baby greens if I have zero CAPS symptoms)

Thank you for any insight or experience you may impart.

(Jay AM) #2

Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of info in regard to keto and CAPS. I did leave some resources below though for things I did find. You might actually consider doing a version of keto called zero carb/carnivore. Many eschew all plant food but some use coconut products and other things like that while making the majority meat and animal fats. Vegetables aren’t entirely necessary as meat and fat contains what we need.

I’d be curious to see what you are eating in terms of macro grams, calories, your weight, age, height so we can hack your info more personally. But, in regards to your keto flu, you need to be supplementing sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Try out some ketoaide.

https://www.perfectketo.com/007-inflammation-keto/

At 09:14 he mentions Gastroparesis briefly as a kind of neuropathy which makes the whole video worth a watch.

(Adrienne) #3

Thank you for the links! There isn’t much on CAPS (IMO) in its trickle down effects on everything else going on with a person who has it - just indicator symptoms. Since it’s a genetic level inflammatory nightmare, I know I have an uphill battle, even though I’m being treated for it with the best biologic for it on the market.

I’m trying to eat until I feel full, but often want to stop two or three mouthfuls in due to aforementioned “leaden gut” feeling. I made a beautiful and very tasty liver pate a couple days ago, and I can’t even bring myself to eat it! I know for a fact that I have not historically eaten enough - my daily caloric intake when on a non-keto diet was far under the 1800 calories I know I need to not gain weight.

I’m 5’11" and currently 302 lb. I’m 40 years old. When I went to look at my food intake for the week in my Fitbit app just now, none of the food records where there. Lucky me. [Time for a new app!] IIRC, my macros were right around 70/20/5. The only “carbs” I’ve eaten was a single medjool date on Wednesday, and a green tea lemonade from Charbux on Saturday (took one swig and realized I ordered the wrong thing, but couldn’t bring myself to waste the $, but was still very close to max carbs for the day).

I had labs drawn Friday, so I should have some decent starting numbers this week. The metabolic panel, CRP, CBC, and ESR report from this quarter were all normal.

(Jay AM) #4

Yeah, you’re definitely pretty far off from recommendations for calorie and macro intake.

2351kcal Daily Calorie Intake (make this a goal not a limit)
20 g Carbs (3%, 80 kcal) (make this a limit)
126 g Protein (21%, 504 kcal) (soft limit, going over isn’t the end of the world.)
196 g Fat (76%, 1767 kcal) (eat this to satiety, fat will keep you full and provide energy)

Now, obviously, this would be very difficult to achieve with gastroparesis. Do you know what specifically caused yours?

Probably the best way to handle it is going to be through liquid and soft nutrition. Things like broth with lots of fats added, soup with broth, fat, and meat, fatty sauces, full foods eaten in small amounts at a time. You’ll have to adjust these things based on how you’re feeling while consuming them. My understanding is that you require nutrition that comes in small size and easily digestible amounts due to several factors associated with gastroparesis.

You could also consider a trial run of digestive enzymes. I’m of the belief that my Now! Super Enzymes are pretty well rounded with lots of different things to help break down foods. However, with gastroparesis, some people may not absorb pills well. In this case I’d break the pill down and drink it with a bit of water half way through a meal.

(Adrienne) #5

Thank you for those numbers! They are SUPER helpful. As to the cause of the chronic gastroparesis, I don’t really know. I doubt the Metabolic Syndrome and the RA doesn’t help any. I’ve had “tummy troubles” since I was a child. Anytime I bring it up with my physicians, they don’t seem to “get” that it’s a REAL issue for me. :roll_eyes:

I’ll pick up some of the Now! Super Enzymes and the ingredients for the KetoAid on my next grocery trip.

(Jay AM) #6

I’m not sure if the enzymes can be found in a store easily. I think I got mine on Amazon. And, no, any health conditions aren’t helpful. What is helpful is having normal and stable glucose levels which keto will really help with.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

@Linuxwitch Welcome! I hope that you can find the help you need on a ketogenic diet. Here are some comments on your original post:

Firstly, keto flu is the result of not enough salt. When you stop eating carbohydrate, the kidneys excrete water and salt at a noticeably higher rate, so you have to work a bit to keep up your salt intake and stay hydrated. It works; when I went keto, I remembered this advice from a video lecture by Dr. Stephen Phinney, and I never experienced the keto flu. Some people also have to watch their potassium and magnesium levels as well; Dr. Phinney recommends leafy green vegetables for the latter, and bone broth for the former. He says that commercial stock cubes work in a pinch for keeping up salt and hydration, but home-made bone broth gives you magnesium and potassium from the bone marrow.

Secondly, and this is just off the top of my head, not because I have any experience with your condition, eggs are a great keto food, and I find that scrambled eggs or fried eggs (both cooked just past the point of runniness, but still moist) are very easy to digest, and eggs are almost the perfect keto food. Also, I would guess that the fairly large amount of fat one eats on a ketogenic diet would be helpful for moving food through the stomach. We eat fat for the sake of its calories and its minimal effect on insulin secretion, but I have found that my digestion is a lot more reliable on this way of eating than it ever was when I was eating carbohydrate.

Thirdly, would pureed meat move through your system any better? Say you took cooked beef of some type and pureed it with a tasty fat (bacon grease, perhaps?), could your stomach move that more easily, do you think?

You may have already thought of all these things, of course, but I thought I’d mention them just in case you might find them helpful. Good luck, and do let us know how you’re getting on. We may or may not be able to offer any real solutions to your difficulties, but at least we can always offer encouragement! :heart:

(Adrienne) #8

Thank you, Paul! I picked up ingredients for KetoAid and am doing well with it as a hydration source.

I adore eggs, so no worries with those! I have found in the past few days that a mug of hot broth works wonders with allowing my stomach to empty faster (and not the wrong way!)

I’ll try adding some minced (food processor-ified) cooked meat to my dinner broth tonight and see if that will help get my intake up.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I do hope you can find a way of coping. I have found ketosis and fat-adaptation to be such a beneficial state, that I want everyone to share the benefits. And especially if your doctor thinks it’s a good idea! Do you know how rare that is? Anyway, good luck, God bless, and keep us posted. Here’s some virtual bacon to encourage you: :bacon::bacon:

(Adrienne) #10

Thank you, yes - he is a rare gem. Very supportive and has never pushed back on anything I wanted to pursue (including non-Rx medications)

(Bunny) #11

This is really interesting because the type of treatment is so odd and obscure, and what is even more incredible, symptoms completely disappeared years after treatment. Apparently your condition had a name change? Centrally mediated abdominal pain syndrome (CAPS), formerly known as abdominal pain syndrome (FAPS)

Functional abdominal pain syndrome treated with Korean medication

Integrative Medicine Research
Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine
Functional abdominal pain syndrome treated with Korean medication
Chang-Gue Son

Abstract
A 37-year-old female patient with chronic and stubborn abdominal pain had been hospitalized five times in three Western hospitals, but no effects were observed. No abnormalities were found in blood tests, gastrointestinal endoscopy, sonogram, and computed tomography of the abdomen, except mild paralytic ileus. The patient decided to rely on Korean medicine as an inpatient. She was diagnosed with functional abdominal pain syndrome, and her symptom differentiation was the “Yang deficiency of spleen and kidney.” A herbal drug, Hwangikyeji-tang, along with moxibustion and acupuncture, was given to the patient. Abdominal pain and related symptoms were reduced radically within 16 days of treatment. This report shows a therapeutic potential of Korean medicine-based treatment for functional abdominal pain syndrome.

1. Introduction
Abdominal pain, either mild or severe, is a common symptom that everyone experiences. Most cases are benign and self-limiting, but more serious cases may require urgent intervention.1 Abdominal pain can be acute or occur over months in a chronic pattern. Ten percent of school-going children and adolescents experience chronic abdominal pain, which is prevalent in children and women.2 Abdominal pain can have numerous causes; therefore, diagnosing the cause can be difficult. In particular for chronic abdominal pain cases, doctors find it difficult to yield a diagnosis based on patients’ medical histories, physical examinations, and laboratory tests.3

Some cases of chronic abdominal pain involve physiologic illnesses, where the remaining cases are related to functional disorders. In particular, functional abdominal pain syndrome (FAPS) represents chronic abdominal pain with features that differentiate it from other painful functional gastrointestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia, by the lack of a symptom relationship to food intake or defecation.4, 5 The prevalence of FAPS has been estimated to be 0.5–2.0%; it is more common in women.6 A wide range of therapeutics including antidepressants, anticonvulsants, psychotherapy relaxation techniques, and complementary therapies are being used; however, FAPS frequently raises serious medical problems and economic burden.7

From a Korean medicine (KM) point of view, chronic abdominal pain including FAPS belongs to the category of cold-associated pains. Accordingly, the main treatment strategy for FAPS is to expel the coldness.8 In order to promote the development of therapeutics for FAPS, this study reports a case of a refractory FAPS patient who was cured by KM-based therapeutics, including Hwangikyeji-tang, in an oriental hospital.

2. Case report
2.1. Characteristics of the patient and medical history
A 37-year-old woman having chronic abdominal pain visited an oriental hospital; the complications included weight loss (3.0 kg in the past 1 year) and serious fatigue. The patient had been suffering complex discomforts of the gastrointestinal tract such as bearable pain in the whole abdomen, feeling of flatulence, severe dyspepsia, belch, occasional burning sensation, and cold sweat. The symptoms had been continuing for 1 year, and the pain pattern was not related to defecation or eating. She was usually susceptible to stress and had to quit her job because of untreated abdominal pain.

The patient had been hospitalized five times (during April 2011–May 2012) in three Western hospitals, but no abnormality or improvement of abdominal pain was observed. Immediately after the last discharge from a Western hospital, she decided to visit an oriental hospital (May 2012). The patient had no previous history of alcohol or drug abuse, or smoking, and had no specific family and past history. Her husband had passed away suddenly, and no other causes for her symptoms were detected.

2.2. Diagnosis, treatment, and course of symptom
The patient had been examined thoroughly in previous Western hospitals and an oriental hospital. The gastroendoscopy, abdominal computed tomography, biochemistry, complete blood counts, and urinalysis revealed no significant abnormality. Simple abdomen X-ray showed a mild pattern of paralytic ileus as a slight accumulation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract. The patient was diagnosed with FAPS according to the diagnostic criteria for FAPS (Table 1).7 Physical features of the patient included a thin body type (body mass index 17.5, height 155 cm, and body weight 42 kg), cold hands and feet, anorexia, dyspepsia, nausea, mild headache, dizziness, and lassitude. Her tongue had a mild white-colored coating, and pulsation was weak and rapid. Accordingly, the symptom differentiation was diagnosed as “Yang deficiency of spleen and kidney.” Using the Sasang Constitution Classification II this diagnosis belonged to the Soeumin classification type.

Diagnostic Criteria for Functional Abdominal Pain Syndrome.
As an inpatient, the patient was administered a herbal drug, Hwangikyeji-tang (Table 2), three times a day. In addition, acupuncture treatment (mainly at CV12, HT7, LI4, and SP3 twice daily for 20 minutes with 0.25 mm × 30 mm needles purchased from DongBang Co., Seoul, Korea), indirect moxibustion (at KD1, CV4, and CV8 for 30 minutes daily with 3.5 g of wormwood fiber on the top of a salt basement inside a bamboo; diameter: 30 mm, length: 40 mm, purchased from KyeGoo Inc., Incheon, Korea), and Miso-pack (application of 150 g of soybean paste on the middle abdomen for 20 minutes every day) were given to the patients. From the 3rd day in hospital, abdominal pain started to decrease notably. Moreover, other related symptoms including anorexia, dyspepsia, nausea, headache, and dizziness were improved moderately. Her abdominal pain disappeared completely within 16 days of treatment; the scores on a self-reporting numerical rating scale (0 means no pain, whereas 10 implies the worst severity) were 5 on Hospitalization Day 7 and 2 on Hospitalization Day 14.9 In addition to almost complete disappearance of the white-colored coating on the tongue and improvement of pulsation, she had gained about 1 kg of body weight during hospitalization. It was confirmed that FAPS did not recur for 1 year when the patient was interviewed via telephone (Fig. 1).
…More

(Bunny) #12

(Adrienne) #13

My apologies, the “CAPS” I have is Cryopyrin Associated Periodic Syndrome. It is an autoinflammatory disorder in the Periodic Fever family. It is a genetic coding error.

(Bunny) #14

I see, thank you for the clarification!

(Adrienne) #15

I thought I’d post an update. I’ve been strict keto for over 6 weeks, and I’m down 15 pounds, and over 6" lost off bust/waist/hip measurements. My biggest NSV is that my biceps are shrinking, as well. Very happy with the that!

I am still working on getting enough calories in every day, as I stalled for a couple weeks when I definitely wasn’t eating enough.