Newbie .... have some questions?

(Lily) #1

Hi , newbie here in Australia … been doing keto for 3 weeks now and have lost 6 kilos so far… I’m loving the food options and feeling better already, still get light headed occasionally but overall getting into the “feel good” and energetic mode…my hubby and cousin are also doing keto so I’m glad we can all support each other, however some family members are concerned about too much red meat and “heart attack” connection etc etc… I feel like I am constantly having to defend my choices to them and I tell them to research it as I have done… I reference Dr Berry and Dr Fung as I love their YouTube videos but they just call them “quacks” and refuse to watch… one family member had me stumped yesterday as they told me that the healthiest country in the world is Spain followed by Italy… my background is Italian, and I am more than aware that their main food is pasta as I have grown up with every kind of pasta out there…his logic was if they are the second healthiest country in the world and eat an abundance of pasta , then why are carbs so bad? I didn’t know how to answer that one and just sat there not knowing what to say… I’ve been reading these forums for a few days now and so many of you on here are very inspirational and well informed… just wondering how you would have tackled a question like that?? Thanks :thinking:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Italy and Spain do not have the greatest health stats. That is currently Iceland, Sweden and Singapore. Besides rating the health level of an entire country based on probably really variable diets isn’t an accurate way to decide how to eat. Honestly you can’t debate an issue with people who don’t even give your point of view consideration. You can’t win when people dismiss your points as rubbish without even looking at them. So I have to advise not talking about KETO at all. Just say it works for you. End of conversation. If they see positive results in you later down the road then it might be time to revisit this when they are more open. It’s hard to argue with success. The second rule of KETO after keeping carbs low enough for ketosis should be “Don’t try to talk people into doing keto, let them ask you what’s changed for you.” I hate it when the naysayers criticize our choices to get healthy by the means we choose. It’s usually the fruit pushers! I mean you’re crazy if you believe fruit isn’t healthy food, right? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

As many others here continue to point out, you are not going to reason these folks out of their ignorance. They believe what they have been indoctrinated to believe. Evidence and logic will not convince them otherwise. What might work slowly and eventually is seeing your health improve over time as theirs continues to decline, as it probably will. So just keep calm and keto on, as we say and don’t waste your energy and aggravation. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to read, but it’s realistic.

(Lily) #4

Good advice, thankyou… I love your posts, full of great info… I’ll just keep soldiering on and may even say I’m doing a low carb diet…the word “keto” just seems to spark something in people and I don’t like confrontation… I’m not too bothered to be honest because I used to be one of “them” so can understand to a degree where they’re coming from … thanks again David :+1:

(Susan) #5

Welcome to the forum Lily =).

Both David and Michael have given you good advice already, I agree with their comments =).

I just wanted to welcome you and wish you, your hubby, and cousin success on your Keto journey into much healthier people. The great thing is that you are all doing this together, so can support each other. That is terrific =).

(Jack Bennett) #6

Hi Lily and welcome. I know it’s hard when you are put in the position of defending something that you’re doing in the area of food and diet. Especially when you’re still in the early stages and learning.

I would recommend simply not engaging with people who criticize. You can deflect or answer in vague terms “Weird diet? Oh yeah, it’s going fine. Let’s talk about (sports, weather, your kids’ activities).”

Getting into an argument with family or friends or co-workers is very unlikely to give you positive feelings and motivation about exploring a new way of eating. It can be hard when others directly confront you which is why it’s so important just to back off and not engage.

Save your time and energy to learn a new recipe or read an article or otherwise self-educate. It’s great that you have social support with some family members, but definitely try to avoid an “us vs them” division.

(Scott) #7

When you are new to keto you want to shout it from the rooftop, you are excited. After a year or two you will be willing to help someone that is interested in this WOE but no longer feel the need to change the world. By then you will have results and if you have been eating this way for years people won’t freak out and attempt to talk you out of it. If you have been hanging out here the knowledge that you will pick up during that time will be immense. Time is on your side KCKO.

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #8

Welcome to the Keto Lifestyle and to the forum Lily! Like you, I am a newbie as well. As we start our journey, I am glad we have such experienced forum and podcast folks around to help guide us on the Keto Path! I really do not have much to add, except that when folks ask me how I have lost 45 lbs in just a few months I tell them I cut out sugars and starch. That seem to satisfy their curiosity. Everyone, no matter their belief system, feels limiting sugar is awesome​:grinning::+1: Best of luck Lily and Keep Calm and Keto on!

(Marianne) #9

Good luck with that. I think most of us experience that problem.

I just don’t care anymore - and, I don’t discuss my way of eating (WOE) with family members, or anyone, anymore. I would suggest just letting it go if they bring it up; you can’t win - it’s like discussing politics when you’re on opposing sides. Why go there - they’re not going to convince you and you’re not going to convince them. If they challenge you, I just say, “we all have to make our own choices and I’ve never felt better than since being on keto.”

P.S. Not that you want to go there with them, but I was just on Facebook and there was a chart - I think from dietdoctor - that showed a baked potato can raise your blood sugar has as much sugar as 9 teaspoons of pure sugar; a normal amount of pasta can raise blood sugar by as much as 6 tsp. of sugar; and a small serving of rice can raise it as much a 9 tsp. of sugar. That puts a stake in the ground for all these “healthy” eaters.

(Susan) #10

This is the perfect answer, I like this =).

(Lily) #11

Thankyou for all the advice, will take it on board… everyone here is lovely :grin:thanks again

(Jane) #12

Although not technically 100% accurate you can just say you’ve cut out sugar and refined carbs and leave it at that. That never gets an argument because it aligns with the current dietary guidelines to eat whole grains, etc.

Another hurdle is all the butter, cream and full fat sour cream we eat. But that’s another battle you can’t win until they admit Ancel Keys was wrong and his studies flawed. Already been proven wrong but the dietary community isn’t ready to admit it yet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

More salt will fix that. High insulin inhibits the kidneys from excreting sodium at their normal weight, so when we cut carbs and our insulin drops, we need to work a bit at keeping salt intake up.

That is bogus. You can ignore them. Saturated fat actually increases HDL cholesterol which lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease. And studies have shown that higher LDL is actually associated with a lower cardiovascular risk. And the studies linking red meat to cancer are highly questionable, to say the least.

Pasta is inexpensive, so it formed a large part of the diet of Italian immigrants to the U.S., but it is much less of a feature in the diet of most Italians back home in Italy. Of the European countries, France has the highest fat consumption per capita and the lowest rate of heart disease. The French eat far less sugar and refined carbohydrates than we do on this side of the Atlantic.

Carbohydrates are long strings of glucose molecules, and excessive amounts of glucose in the bloodstream not only cause damage themselves, but they also stimulate high insulin secretion, which also damages the body in various ways. Insulin is also the primary fat storage hormone, which is the main reason that eating too much carbohydrate makes us fat.

(Jane) #14

They eat a lot of locally sourced meat and vegetables also and olive oil instead of seed oils.

It’s like saying “look at all the rice Asians eat and stay so thin!”

First of all - their traditional diet has practicaly no sugar. All those sweet sauces in American Chinese restaurants were modifed for our craving for sugar. They don’t snack. They eat like we did in the 60’s and weren’t near as fat as we are now as a group - 3 meals a day with no snacking.

Now that there are KFC’s in China and an adundance of sugar sodas and junk food, diabetes and obesity is on the rise.