Newbie from Ontario, Canada

(Patricia Noble) #1

Hi! I’m Trish - just joined the forums and very happy to be here - it looks to be an amazingly supportive community - something I am definitely lacking as I am the only one I know living the keto lifestyle in my small corner of the world (hoping to eventually entice my husband and our 7 children…). I am 48 and was diagnosed with T2D in Aug 2016 with a fasting blood glucose reading of 8.5 and a post 2 hr reading of 13.4 and with an A1C of 7.7. (I previously had gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy in 2013) I started reading everything I could and I happened upon the keto lifestyle. I have ‘dabbled’ the last year with stops and starts but also being committed to lowering my carb intake. The result from even half hearted effort? Fasting blood glucose reading of 6.8 and an A1C of 5.9. I guess I just needed to see the proof for myself! Needless to say I have now been strict keto since Aug 1 and am feeling great! I look forward to getting to ‘know’ everyone as we support each other on our journeys to health :smile:

(Linda Culbreth) #2

Welcome, Girl! Proof’s in the numbers! Great job! Try to get your kids and hubby on board - especially the last one when you has gest. diabetes - that one is way more likely to develop a weight problem and T2D.Can’t remember which doc it was that said that, but possibly was Dr. Jason Fung. Have you listened to any of his videos yet?

(Patricia Noble) #3

Thanks Linda :smile: I have watched many of Dr. Fung’s videos (he hails from Toronto - about a 3 hr drive from where I am in Kingston), although I have not read either of his books. One of my big goals for sure is to get hubby and kids on board - especially our younger ones still living at home ranging in age from 4 to 14; definitely our 9 and 14 year old seem to be insulin resistant, just based on my own history of struggling with weight gain, hunger and carb addiction - 2 of our older ones are now out on their own but hopefully I can still have an influence when they see my results :smile:

(Linda Culbreth) #4

:bacon: on, Girl!

(Adrian Russell) #5

Good to have you here, I’m new to the forum also and am from Mississauga, there are a few of us Ontarians here, don’t worry. Keep it up and hope you have better luck with your family than I have so far…

(Patricia Noble) #6

Thanks Adrian :smile: If I could just get my husband on board then at least our kiddos still at home wouldn’t have a choice…he seems interested when he’s around and I’m watching a video for motivation; he agrees that low-fat is bogus and he likes the idea of bacon and eggs and fatty cuts of meat :smile: …but he still brings chips and cookies into the house and he’s no where near hearing that cutting out the morning cereal would be a good thing :confused:

(Melissa) #7

Welcome! I’m from Ontario too )Burlington).

I’ve been doing keto for 7.5 months after weightloss surgery.

(Melissa) #8

Hello neighbour! From Burlington. I actually grew up Mississauga (Dundas/Dixie) area.

(Adrian Russell) #9

Yeah, when I tell people about the diet and tell them that they can eat as much bacon and eggs as they want, they normally sit up and take notice. That is until I tell them, no toast with it, sorry…

(Patricia Noble) #10

So sorry for my delayed response - ended up going to help my 91 year old grandpa - who still lives in his own home, by himself in the middle of the country - because my aunt who usually checks in on him was in the hospital.

It’s good to know that there are others from Ontario here on the forums - thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

(Matt) #11

Ottawa here, GLA!!!

I currently going Keto due to TBI (and a little weight loss wouldn’t hurt). I wish you all success in your journey