Newbie Chest tightness

(Kimberly Moss) #1

Hi. I’ve been following keto for about a month now. Things have been going really well. I eat when I’m hungry but I know I’m under my calories especially with the amount of exercise I do. Anyways I have this tightness in my chest that I can’t seem to get rid of. I had it 1 day last week and after a day it went away. Now I’m on day 2 and half and its still there. I take calm at night and have 2 small glasses of chicken broth a day. It goes away when I exercise and doesn’t come at any specific time but I do wake up with it. Not sure what to think about It and wondering if anyone else has experienced it and or has any advice. Thank you

A week in observation

I get bad chest tightness from both caffeine and MCT oil. That only happened since I started keto so I’ve all but cut them out. It feels like mild anxiety to me when it happens but I’m unsure.

(Kimberly Moss) #3

Thank you. It has happened more often since I started using coconut oil. Wonder if it’s acid related too

As a heart attack survivor, my advice is to get checked by a doctor. It’s better to be cautious.

(VLC.MD) #5

FWIW, chest tightness brought on by exercise (exertional chest pain) can be angina.
In the history of angina, I’m not sure one person has said their symptoms improved with exercise.

Probably GERD or anxiety.

Take a Prilosec OTC for 5 days and see if it goes away ? Try Zantac for 5 days ? Don’t worry about it ? YMMV.

(Liz ) #6

If it is some kind of reflux, FWIW mine eased with taking apple cider vinegar tablets with each meal for a few weeks. I don’t know why actual ACV didn’t help me but some folks get great results drinking that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I am allergic to practically everything airborne and also asthmatic. That tightness might be relieved with an antihistamine and decongestant, or you might need a pulmonary corticosteroid. As others have suggested, you might want to get it checked out. Like a collision at sea, a full-blown asthma attack doesn’t really enhance your day.

That said, the earlier part of this year was really bad; I had to start taking my asthma inhalers again for a while. But since going keto, it seems I forget to take them. So even if you are having an allergic reaction, it might be only temporary.

(Clara Teixeira) #8

I have exactly as you describe. Upping my daily salt intake helps a lot as does exercise. I am going to have it checked out by a doctor if it continues but allergy season is at its peak for me right now and I want to wait a bit longer to see if I’m just having reactions to that.

Another observation. A lot of times I have to stop and realize how I am breathing. I do this weird thing where I often stop breathing if I am extremely consumed with a task or in a stressful environment. Consciously making an effort to take deep belly breaths and really clearing my lungs helps!

(Deb) #9

I have the same that seems to happen if I forget my potassium supplements.