Newbie - 5 Days In

(Vijay Bhakta) #1

Hi all.

A friend of mine has been doing Keto for around 18 months and has had great success in reversing his T2 diagnosis and with both my parents being T2, I was worried I would be heading the same way. I went to my Dr about this last July, he got a whole range of blood work done which he said showed I was not at risk of diabetes (HbA1c = 32 mmol/mol [UK]), but I had a vitamin D deficiency and that my Cholesterol was “borderline high”.

I am in the obese category at around 219 lb (as of 21st Feb)

Been talking to my friend about Keto for a while and made a decision to fully embrace this from April 1st, using the time between now and then to build up a bank of recipes I would like and so started reducing my carbs but without counting - just stopped eating bread, rice, pasta, potatoes from around 14th Feb.

Had a weird day on Thursday 21st Feb. Was watching soccer the night before and had a few too many whiskys, so I woke up feeling very hungry, I had, by this time, listened to the first few 2ketodudes podcasts so was thinking about the science behind why I was feeling this way while going through the motions of eating my carb loaded cereal with skimmed mill (cos hey - its low fat !!). So, I ate until my brain said I am full, ate too much to be honest. At Lunch, I met up with my Keto friend and had a great meal where I quizzed him about all sorts. Didnt eat anything else that day as still full from Breakfast and Lunch.

So, 22nd Feb, woke up and for some reason, I felt great, felt I had loads of energy (which is unusual for me first thing in the morning) - I thought it could be something to do with no eating after 3pm the day before. Anyway, didnt feel like breakfast so just went out for a walk. 2 podcasts and 4 miles later I was back home and still not hungry.

So, I thought I might as well start this Keto thing now,

By Saturday I had lost 4lb which I now know would be water weight and by the following Monday a further 2lb.

I have not really craved chocolate (though I did bake some keto brownies yesterday for something to have at breakfast with my coffee), and my crisps craving is satisfied by pork scratchings. Still have to overcome the beer/alcohol, but switching to wine/spirits helps when I feel I want a drink.

Had some Keto Flu symptoms like foggy brain, but thats about it, apart from not being “regular” in my bowel movements any more - something that I fine mentally discomforting as I feel something is not quite right)

My appetite has reduced, I no longer feel hungry and I am learning and just about managing to keep my carbs under 30g and been under 20g 2 of the 4 days.

I still have a lot of energy in the mornings which is great, though I am finding the regular need to pee causes an unsettled night sleep with some insomnia kicking in.

Doc wants me to have another blood panel, I am aiming to do that in May so I should be fat adapted by then and it also gives me time to research the Cholesterol angle as I know he will recommend statins. (incidentally, both my parents were put on statins and then a few years later diagnosed with T2)

I got myself a blood glucose/keytone monitor, arrived yesterday and used it this morning after my 2 mile walk and before any coffee.

Glucose was 3.8 mmol, Keytone was 3.4 mmol. Today is going to be spent reading up on these, so any pointers, advice, explanations anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Off to a beer festival on Friday, so will definitely take on more carbs, but I suspect with my new found knowledge, I will not be drinking as much as I usually do :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading.

V.

(bulkbiker) #2

Hi and welcome Vijay
Glucose of 3.8 is superb and ketones 3.4 is really good for so early in your journey.
Well done for taking the plunge and starting.
I am similar weight to you (although down from 320 pounds) and still want to loose a bit more.
Keep up the great work and be careful at the beer fest!
Regards
Mark

(Karen) #3

The recipes are fun and add variety, but you can do keto simply too. Piece of fatty meat, keto green vegetables with butter. Good luck!

K

(Rob) #4

Hi Vijay,

Looks like you’re well on your way already now and congrats on your early successes.

Google is great for finding Keto recipes, and the What did you Keto today? topic has loads of ideas for meals.

I got myself a blood ketone monitor this week too. Did my first test yesterday and my Ketone level was at 2.0 mmol/L, which I was about what I expected. I won’t test every day, but when I need a little more insight into why I feel I’m stalling, then I’ll use it.

Let us know how you get on after the beer festival. It would be interesting to see how your body reacts to the carbs.

(Vijay Bhakta) #5

Thanks all.

I do intend to test after the beer fest + food on Friday night, will report back.

(Vijay Bhakta) #6

Didnt end up going to the beer festival due to the snow and cancelled trains etc - just not worth it.

After 2 weeks, I have lost 1/4" around my neck, 2" in around my chest and 3/4" around my belly so well pleased with how its going so far.

What I am finding strange is my blood readings, this morning, my glucose was ranging between 4.7 - 5.0 within3 hours (3 tests) and my ketones were down to 1.8 - I need to do more reading on this

(Rob) #7

That’s great progress. I’m not sure about your glucose readings without further details about when you ate (and what) relative to when you took the readings, but your ketone reading is still in a good range for nutritional ketosis. Mine has varied between 0.8 and 2.5 in the last week or so. I’m fine with that, so long as I’m not going below 0.5 mmol/L. Generally your Ketones would be higher in the mornings, so if they are down on what you’re normally expect, it may indicate that something you ate last night had some carbs in it more than your normal intake.

(Vijay Bhakta) #8

Thanks.

Ate around 3pm yesterday, spicy chicken with salad, and then had a coffee with dbl cream at around 7pm. Total daily carbs were less than 20g.

Took my first glucose measure at 8:30, about an hour after waking up but before any breakfast or exercise - reading of 4.7 (keytone measure of 1.8 was also taken at this time)

Second measure was taken at 9:44 which was still before breakfast, but after a short 1.2m walk - measure was 5.0

Third measure was taken at 11:09 which was an hour after I had some cheese (20g) and a coffee (with dbl cream) - measure 4.9

Just done one now to see what has changed, its 12:41 - between the 2rd measure and now, I have had a small packet of pork rinds and a pint of water made up with a quarter of a knorr chicken stock cube with extra himalayan salt. - Readings are Glucose - 4.3 Keytones - 2.8

(Rob) #9

Did you sleep well last night?

In many people, Glucose can go up significantly in the morning even without having eaten carb laden foods the night before. This is what’s known as the dawn phenomenon.

Given that you’re Ketones rallied in response to your walk, and your glucose dropped, I’d say that you’re doing very well. By all means read-up around the effects and confirm your n=1 questions, but otherwise keto-on.

I personally feel that after years of carb-abuse with little regard for the effect I was having on my body, I’m now very aware of the potential damage certain foods can have and I’m a lot more alert to any effects which I see, so I can completely understand your desire to find out what’s going on.

(Vijay Bhakta) #10

Sleep - my typical pattern is to wake up at least twice during the night to pee, usually around midnight and 3am, but then its a nice sleep until around 7am. Today I woke up feeling great, rested and no headache etc.

Good to hear that the numbers are looking as expected. Thanks.