New. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(Corey) #1

I’m a 38 yr old male. 5’10” 235 lbs. Over the years, I’ve tried a few different approaches to my health and haven’t found drastic success with any. I’m the short 3 days I’ve been doing this, I am absolutely loving the food, and the way my body is already feeling. I’m using the Keto Diet App to track my macros because, let’s be honest…math. I’m mostly afraid I’m going to get a few weeks in and find out I’m doing it wrong. So far I’ve eaten a lot of bacon, eggs, salmon, chicken, and limited my carbs as much as possible (20-23g a/day). Even started dropping a bit of coconut oil in my coffee. Problem is, according to my app, I’m not reaching fat or calorie goal. Any reassurance, or am I missing something?

(Running from stupidity) #2

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Eat plenty of good food - protein and fat - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritise the protein - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:

Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

Son on Keto Five Months Can't Lose Weight
(Corey) #3

Thanks for the help!

Fat and calories aren’t goals, really. Fat is a lever you utilize in order to feel full, that’s it. You don’t avoid it, but you also don’t need to go out of your way to pile it on. If you’re cooking with fats, eating fatty cuts of meat, or even adding fat to your coffee, and all of that fills you up, then you’re fine.

Same goes with calories. The general rule of thumb is just to eat when you’re hungry, and don’t eat when you’re not. Let your body set your calorie goal. As long as you’re not intentionally restricting, and you’re eating til you’re full while you’re feasting, you should be fine. Don’t chase the numbers on your app. Just hit your protein, keep carbs under 20g net, everything else is just there to keep you satisfied.

(Corey) #5

Nice! I think the problem is that I bought a 2 inch thick book about the whole thing, and it has me overthinking it. I used the app, because it has a great food tracker and I can almost always find anything I’m eating so far, down to the brand and grocery story I bought the food at. I don’t want to fall into a trap of earing a bunch of hidden carbs.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

If you’re thinking you need more fat consider eating an avocado, it’s also about the only high potassium keto friendy fruit along with the tomato. Lots of people here avoid tomatoes but I enjoy them in limited quantities. I usually buy small ones. The small avocados can be good too, usually available in bags of 8-10. Perfect daily single serving for me.

(Corey) #7

Oh yeah! I love avacados and almost eat one for every meal. Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

The most important element of a ketogenic diet is keeping the carbohydrate low. The reason is that low carb intake allows your body to start to recover from chronically elevated insulin levels (not to mention chronically elevated glucose levels, which also do damage). So if you do only that much, you’ve got over 90% right there.

The rest is to eat a moderate amount of protein (continue eating around the same as you ate before) and to replace the lost carb calories with fat calories, by eating fat to satiety. As others have mentioned this doesn’t mean stuffing in fat till it comes out your ears, it means eating till you’re satisfied and no longer hungry. Eat when you’re hungry, stop eating when you stop being hungry, and don’t eat again until you’re hungry again (this may mean ignoring the clock). Fat is a safe substitute for carbohydrate because the degree of stimulation it gives to insulin secretion is negligible, compared to what carbohydrate does.

In the absence of carbohydrate, eating this way allows your appetite hormones to regulate your eating. Your hunger hormones and your satiety hormones will both be able to get through to your brain, and your brain will set your appetite to a level that allows your body to heal itself, and even to burn off any excess stored fat you may have lying around. The nicest aspect of my keto diet—apart from no longer being pre-diabetic—is not having to go hungry and not having to count calories. Keto for the win! :bacon::bacon: