New York City school kids now forced to eat vegan on Fridays

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Yup, you read that right. The new mayor is all about “health.” Apparently, this is his magic pill for childhood obesity, too bad it’s just not the right one.

The sweeping decision was announced suddenly and without outside input, surprise, surprise. Thankfully, the USDA still requires schools to provide milk but I’ll bet any amount of money that’s less about nutrition and more about…money.

(sigh)

Sorry, kiddos. And you thought school lunches tasted like cardboard before

I already felt so bad for kids… But this… Wow.
I wonder what kind of food is that. Among others, how fatty, where fat, protein and carbs come from… Vegan food is often very tasty (of course it’s individual but I always loved it. I don’t know my current opinion as I can’t imagine a meal without 3+ eggy dishes. I had some vegetarian days so I can imagine no meat, even no dairy but no eggs?), nutrient wise it depends but if anyone wanted to feed me some low-fat carby stuff as a kid, I would have been very miserable…

Zero surprise coming out of NYC. My kid would be packing a lunch that day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

With a bacon cheeseburger, bacon-wrapped cream cheese, and pork rinds, I hope! :grin:

Good idea. When I have read about the reformed school lunches here, I immediately thought I would pack salt (and something fatty) for my poor kid if I had kids… I would be very upset if people wanted to tell me how to eat (and had some power too) and if I had kids, they probably would be similar…

(Rebecca ) #6

And the milk they provide is FAT FREE!! My children would definitely pack a lunch that day (they actually did every day when they were school children)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

Yeah, I know. smh But, don’t worry, I hear chocolate milk is still an option in a lot of areas!

(Marianne) #8

Ah, school nutrition. As someone coming from education, what a joke.

(Alec) #9

I hope they are also going to provide the necessary supplements that are essential to support a vegan diet.

This is another consequence of the joke of nutritional guidelines that are fraudulently imposed on America (and by extension everyone because other countries generally follow the US guidelines) by the vegan extremists on the Dietary Guidelines Committee.

Who the hell appoints these extremists?

Scandalous.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Oh, hell, there’s probably five different pharmaceutical companies in a bidding war for that very contract as we speak. Veganism is the capitalistic gift that just keeps on giving if you’re on the manufacturing side of things. On the consumption and survival side, not so much.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

Wanna see what the kids were served on their first vegan Friday? Brace yourself…

(Alec) #12

I wonder what type of cheese they had in there… I know you can get vegan cheeses (we make some), but it’s expensive, and would you really put it into processed crap like that? I doubt it.

Is Cabo Primo a known vegan brand?

That cardboard looks appetising…
Cheers
Alec

(Alec) #13

So here’s what’s in that burrito…. Yum, yum…. It’s got Monterey Jack cheese in it, so it’s not vegan. What was that about how many ingredients you should have in a food? :joy::joy::joy:

Ingredients for Burrito Southwest Black Bean & Cheese Burrito IW 80/6.05z Preprinted dual ovenable film w high color graphics filling:
Ingredients: Filling: Cooked Black Beans (Water, Black Beans), Reduced Fat Monterey Jack Cheese (Cultured Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Water, Diced Tomatoes (May Contain One or More of the Following: Tomato Juice, Salt, Citric Acid and Calcium Chloride), Corn, Red Bell Pepper, Fire Roasted Green Jalapeno Puree (Green Jalapeno Peppers, Water and Citric Acid), Textured Soy Flour, Contains 2% or Less of: Diced Onion, Cilantro, Red Sauce Seasoning (Modified Corn Starch, Paprika, Spices, Onion and Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Tomato, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Extractive Of Paprika, Guar Gum, Salt, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid), White Vinegar, Soybean Oil, Modified Food Starch (Refined From Corn), Isolated Soy Protein with Less Than 2% Lecithin, and Sea Salt. Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla, Soy Flour Enriched: Wheat Flours [Whole Wheat Flour, Enriched Unbleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)], Water, Soy Flour, Soybean Oil, Distilled Monoglycerides, Wheat Gluten, Glycerine, Salt, Baking Powder (Corn Starch, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate).

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Why that conniving, little…the mayor isn’t even vegan! He eats fish regularly. Why aren’t the children allowed to?

I just knew there was something fishy about him…

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

Explain how this isn’t post ISN’T political and how it IS about a ketogenic diet?