New to this and frustrated. Please advise

(John) #21

There is no healthy way of eating that includes ice cream, desserts, pizza, and chips on a regular basis.

You might want to try something like the Mediterranean diet to see if that works better for you. If not, you can give keto another shot.

One way or another, if you want to lose weight, you’re going to have to cut out the junky foods.

No, I wouldn’t expect to eat those constantly, but Keto allows them never or you are out of Ketosis and have to start all over. I did expect more loss than this but mostly I expected more continual seen benefits of some kind. If I were closer to goal or had seen losses and was at a plateau that would be different.

Sorry to hear it, I know it can be frustrating.

I would check, recheck and then triple check for hidden carbs. Something you thought was OK but isn’t. It is said to be the most common reason for falling out of keto. Most people would not even know they’ve been kick out but wonder why there’s no weight loss. I use a blood analyzer, it was a rude shock to see zero. I just could not believe it. “No way, not me, I’m sooo careful”. The device must be broken …

One day I ate my 20g carbs in one big hit. Another time the cafe was putting more milk in the coffee than I calculated. Another time changed my brand of Greek yogurt.

Medication or any pills whatsoever totally change the story.

And then sometimes we just have to hang in there … but I’d check the above first.

Cheers

Thanks. Buying a blood analyzer isn’t in the budget. Ketone strips indicate I’m in Ketosis and have been since wk 2.

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #25

That’s not necessarily true for everyone that you can’t ever eat crappy food again. Granted, this is coming from a lean guy, but it took me 3 months before before I was really burning fat efficiently, that first 10 pounds I lost was probably mostly water and then I stayed relatively the same for quite a while, then around the 3 month mark I noticed the scale moving faster. Now I ate zero junk (in my opinon) weighed out everything (i’m retired) got a copy of the free version of cronometer and a keto meter, I’m not using the keto meter as much anymore. So in the beginning I was eating around 20-25 net carbs and the scale didn’t move a huge amount except for that first blast of water loss, but once I was actually burning fat efficiently, my weight dropped to my body’s normal and doesn’t move, it doesn’t matter how much I eat unless I raise up the carbs then I’ll slowly gain weight, So after a while I was able to get away with eating something that’s not keto as you will too, I think all the hype about keto might be raising your expectation, I know women are probably much different than men, but It took me, someone with only like a 10 pound spare tire to lose, 3 months to kick in the fat burning, you’ll probably be able to eat differently after the fat burning really kicks in, or it could be 6 months, everyone is different, If someone has been overweight for a long time or did yo-yo dieting or whatever medical condition it would be different than a skinny guy taking 3 months… but in the beginning sticking to the plan is the only way to go or else you sabotage the progress. (anyone that disagrees with my theory, please do, I can take it) thanks!

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #26

also, just because you show ketones, doesn’t mean you are actually using them and burning fat efficiently, if you’re anything like me, you’re just peeing them out, my ketones went down gradually as I became fat adapted, I have everything graphed out to the T, I know exactly what I eat and what it does to me (not to sound like a know it all :grinning:)

Thank you. This actually gave me hope.

(Bill Pratt) #28

I am just past 6 weeks in kero. I have lost “some” weight and some centimeters but my wife has not lost many “pounds”. She has gone through the same frustration as you. It has been hard for her to compare herself to me and other people she reads about. But she feels amazing! And loves this lifestyle. And she has lost some weight and centimeters. She looks awesome. And there have been several other “non scale” victory stories for both of us. Number 1 victory is “stomach” issues. For both of us. (Gas/bloating ect.) 100% better. Unbelievable. I would never have believed it. And my lost goes on from there. Focus on the positive. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I hope you repost on this down the road and let us know your great results. I believe if you keep doing what you’re doing you’re gonna “crush it”!!!

(Lisa) #29

I am 53, 6ft and currently 180, post menopausal I’m not quite 4 weeks in, I want to lose at least 40lbs. I have only lost 7 pounds and I’m sure it all water weight. I have never felt better in my life, I use Carb Manager to track everything I eat, I weigh all my food and track religiously. It has taken me years to put the weight on, it will take time for it to go away.

What I have learned by the wealth of information on here is it’s best to ignore the scale, and focus instead on how you feel, keeping carbs to 20 or less a day, eating till your satisfied, and only when you’re truly hungry, keep your electrolytes in balance, trust the process.

Mindset is everything in life, I really would like to lose 40 lbs, but if I never lost another single pound on keto I would be okay with that, because this WOE has transformed my brain fog into clarity, my sluggishness to energy, and overall well being has been transformed, I can never go back to SAD. I will KCKO, and work the program, but now that KETO has given me so much more energy and focus I’m working on other things and will just trust that my body will follow suit, I’ve done what I need to do, I have no control beyond that. For me, KETO will be a way of living. Give it some more time…

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #30

I have lost about 20 lbs in four months (1.25 lb a week) but have gone from a size 20 to 14. (Also post menopausal) I think you’re doing an excellent job at looking at the whole picture, not just one part of it, by acknowledging your non scale victories. For me, it soon became a contest of how good could I feel vs how small could I get. I recently quit smoking because I want to feel even better and I’m getting there (lung wise, anyway).

Keep it up, I think there are more good things in store for you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

It may help to think of things this way: Firstly, the point of a ketogenic diet is to lower our insulin and glucose levels to the point where they are no longer causing damage throughout our body. Excess stored fat is the least of the trouble they cause, though it is the most obvious.

Second, it is chronically high levels of carbohydrate intake that cause the metabolism to become inflexible. Eating a diet low in carbohydrate forces the muscle cells to re-learn how to metabolize fat, and that process takes a couple of months, but once fat-burning has been reinstituted, we can switch back and forth more easily. It’s not as though one extra Brussels sprout over the limit is going to require your muscles to re-learn fat-burning all over again.

Thirdly, everyone’s carbohydrate tolerance is different. Yours may be higher than 20 g/day (it is, however, virtually certain to be less than 200 g/day), but it’s wise to stick to the 20 g limit at the beginning, to ensure getting into ketosis. Which you have done.

Fourthly, table sugar, sucrose, has unique properties that make it particularly not a good thing to eat. Sucrose is half glucose, half fructose. The first has the same effect on insulin as any other carbohydrate. The second, however, while it doesn’t affect insulin, damages the liver when eaten in quantity. Apart from the short-term effects, fructose behaves in the body much the same way as ethyl alcohol, causing the same long-term liver damage and with the same addictive effects in the brains of the vulnerable. The prevalence of diabetes tracks very closely with the spread of refined sugar into a society. When only the rich could afford it, only the rich got diabetes. The diabetes epidemic in the U.S. began about 20 years after the soda-pop, confectionery, and ice cream industries began selling their wares.

Since a lot of us on these forums started eating ketogenically to heal or stave off metabolic disease, we are perhaps more inclined to be patient waiting for results than people here solely for the weight loss. But I put it to you that your toes and your eyesight are more valuable to you than the ability to eat potato chips and drink sodas ad libitum.

Please tell your wife I’m glad to hear someone else understands the struggle versus just how it’s normal (read insignificant) in the big journey. It feels big in the moment.

I absolutely would not be okay with never losing another pound, but I do hear you on the NSV’s. I think tips on macro re-assessment, dietary shifts (trying to eliminate dairy or IF or lowering carbs/not calories even further) or otherwise would have been more helpful than the other “this is just how it is” answers.

What I needed was ideas to try/tweaks to consider.

(Charlotte) #35

I eat ice cream… Its delicious. I just ordered 12 pints to last me for the next 6 months or so.

I also make keto friendly desserts. My favorite keto cookbook is
https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Comfort-Foods-Favorite-Low-Carb/dp/1628602570/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550089436&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=keto+comfort+foods&dpPl=1&dpID=51RZAxMWbsL&ref=plSrch

I’m still working on finding a good pizza, but there are options. I’m 5’7, 38, premenopausal, keto since Dec 1st, lost 29lbs (sw: 247lbs). I started off slow too. Then when I got fat adapted a few weeks ago it the weight has been steadily coming off. There are hidden carbs, starches, and sugar everywhere. So double check ingredients of what your eating.

Thank you. Yes, I prefer Rebel to Wink.

(Charlotte) #37

Haven’t tried that one. I’ll have to check it out.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #38

Hello, I too am at around 6 weeks. Although personally I have lost about 15 pounds, I didn’t chose Keto for weight loss. I have terrible inflammation that is eating away at my joints and disks.

I read Keto can reduce inflammation. I also was chronically fatigued. Running on Ketones I feel focused, more overall energy. Do you not feel any positive effects?

Keto may seem very limited in the food department but once you learn all the great foods you can have it is not too hard. 6 weeks is nothing and I would bet you’re not fat adapted yet so maybe give it a bit longer before giving up?

Honestly what do you have to lose? Keto is one of the healthiest diets and definitely offers health benefits. :grinning:

(Charlotte) #39

After thinking about this, I agree with @JohnH. Maybe keto isn’t for you. Keto takes a certain mindset. If your heart isn’t in and if you are just too focused on what you will be giving up and can’t live with that then you won’t be able to haveany significant success with keto. You still haven’t told us what specifically your eating yet, so its hard to be of any real help. The only thing I can think of is that there are non-keto foods you are still eating and thats keeping you from seeing results. There is no shame in deciding keto isn’t for you. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s definitely not for everyone. I truly hope that you can find something that works for you that you’ll be happy with. Good luck!

(Patrick M) #40

One other thing to keep in mind is that just because something is “keto friendly” doesn’t mean your body tolerates it well.

I am 6 weeks into Keto as well, although I had done it before and have had great success with weight loss in the past. I actually started the year doing a carnivore diet since I could eat eggs, bacon, and ribeye every day. After 3 weeks I had lost 10lbs and my wife wanted to try keto. So I switched my diet to a standard keto diet with 1 caveat. My wife and I started doing a shake called KetoChow for breakfast. It’s the only meal replacement I have found that is true keto, a full meal replacement, and is a soylent food with all the electrolytes needed for ketosis.

I have a blood test device so I am sure that I am producing ketones, however I started gaining weight. My wife on the other hand is doing great, although she won’t ever tell me what she weighs or lost. What I had found is that the shakes had sucralose (main ingredient in Splenda). Sucralose is “keto friendly” however it causes major digestive issues for me and my body doesn’t tolerate it well. As soon as I stopped eating the shakes my weight stabilized.

My point is, just because something is keto friendly doesn’t mean it is friendly to your body in particular. Artificial sweeteners can be a big issue, even if they are low or no carb. Some people react the same as they would with sugar, some like me can’t stomach certain sweeteners, and some people like my wife are just fine. It’s all about finding what works for you and that takes time. Give it another 6 weeks, I promise you won’t be disappointed.