New to Keto not biking

(Karl Miller) #1

My wife did the research and I needed to lose some weight that would not go away, so for 2 weeks now I have been Keto. It’s been go so far dropped 10lb have reduced my daily insulin from 70 to 15 (t2).
I got back to riding in January back to 40-50 mile group rides in May. My concern is what to eat before and during the group ride. Its always been carbs for breakfast and a gel shot at the half way. last week I rode alone and hit the wall at about 1.5 hours got some poweraid Zero and got home safe.

Do I need to “restart” my training with lower intensity rides for awhile or plan on riding with the poweraid or something else. Also if I have been burning fat on rides longer than hour for several years will my body become fat adapted quicker ?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

I needed to work back up with running, but I refused to carb up anymore. I run fasted usually and had no problem running a half marathon with only a peanut butter packet and a ZipFizz about an hour before my run. But again, I had to practically start I’ve rwith my training when I went Keto.

(ianrobo) #3

simple answer is yes, if you are fat burning as a principle then you have to do longer lower intensity rides …

so for example I did this on Friday, whilst not fasted, I took no extra food during the ride and not eaten for three hours before (and then it was just eggs)

This is the MAF method and it really does depend on your goals for cycling … if you want to go full on racing, then no chance but if it is about longer rides using your fat to ride on then this is perfect.

(Karl Miller) #4

Thank you for the input. I did a 2.5 hour group ride Saturday had some eggs for breakfast and only used the lyteshow during the ride. I feel different during the ride very “even” no high and lows all the way to the end.

(ianrobo) #5

Thats the whole point of using fat adaption as less stress on the body

(Nicole Silvia) #6

I’ve been just as confused and looking at lots of resources to see how to exercise with keto. What I gathered is that while getting fat adapted, take it easy and don’t freak out if you’re tank is low. After fat adapted keto is magical for endurance sports. My take is that if you are going to do anything highly intense/ anaerobic than you can take a slow burn carb before hand. You’ll burn it off, using it as carbs were intended to be used and you will go back into ketosis. The longer you’re fat adapted the more efficient this will be and the faster you go back to your fat burning baseline.

Overall, it seems as though if you have a specific season where you want to PR or really push, you can use your fat burning body most of the time, but can use carbs for that extra boost. The fat burns as a good fuel, but a slow rate. The carbs will give basically a jolt. You should most definitely play around with this, as I intend to as well. It won’t “ruin” your diet or progress if you’rein ketosis most of the time.

This is what I’ve gathered so far because it was important to me to understand. I’m open if anyone has more to add.

(Mike) #7

Hi…my name is mike…been on keto for awhile…but slip from time to time… love to peddle…recovering from a bad bicycle wreck…keto on everyone

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

Been there, done that (hit by a pickup truck) so hope it’s nothing serious and that you’re feeling good enough to be riding soon.

I’ve been on keto since mid 2015, and was low carb before that. I found the transition to fully keto easy because of that. Not a racer, just working on long rides.

(Mike) #9

Yeah cfl bob…been keto since 2015… met a food coach that changed me from low carb to eating even healthier with keto…I’m not a racer either…just like to get the miles in quicker…living in Midwest…colder temps…mean more inside rides on smart trainer and zwift…

(Karl Miller) #10

Silvian
Thank you good info.

(Roger Morris) #11

Take it easy in the beginning. Once you get fat adapted you can start pushing harder and go longer. One beautiful thing about this WOE is not being hungry. I start all my rides fasted and usually don’t need to eat anything. After about 45 miles is when I start to feel it. We ride hard. Even our easy rides always seem to end up being a hammerfest. I guess that’s why my nickname is The Hammer. When it kicks in i eat macadamias, pecans, almond butter and stuff like that. I got a bunch of guys in our club to switch to LCHF and IF. All lost weight, got faster, better endurance and some guys started racing again. Amazing…