New to Keto-Mojo

(Dennis Bryan) #1

Been constantly getting reading that are 7 and above, how to get to between 1-2, been keeping carbs below 40 grams for 3 weeks, what to do am I in ketosis or not?

Thank you

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome to the forums.

The definition of nutritional ketosis, as described by Phinney and Volek, is a serum β-hydroxybutyrate of 0.5 or above. So at 7.0, you are definitely in ketosis.

While a serum β-hydroxybutyrate reading of 7.0 is more typical of fasting ketosis than of nutritional ketosis, it is still perfectly fine. A diagnosis of diabetic ketoacidosis requires serum β-hydroxybutyrate of 10.0 or above, combined with hyperglycaemia. If your pancreas is producing any insulin at all, ketoacidosis should not be a concern.

(Joey) #3

Welcome! And congratulations … you’re in ketosis :slight_smile:

Adding to what @PaulL said above, unless you’re a Type 1 diabetic, these ketone levels are of no concern or risk whatsoever.

Initially, your body is switching over to producing/burning ketones instead of carbs, but your mitochondria aren’t fully up to task during the adaptation period.

Put differently, your liver/pancreas are putting out more ketones than can be fully used. That’s perfectly normal and common out of the “keto” shoot.

Over time, your ketones will settle down to a more “efficient” level (less wasteful of these precious energy sources). Meanwhile, enjoy the ride.

It’s perfectly healthy, common and normal. Been there, and my Keto Mojo showed me figures just like yours. Eventually, they come down from 7+ to much closer to around 1, or even less. :+1: