New to keto, I think I’ve got this right?

(Justsomeguy89 ) #1

266 lbs, down from 276 after a few weeks of being very careful what I eat, which has led me to keto, I’d say over 2 weeks on and off doing keto, mostly lost just water weight cause I’m not eating surgery crap and bread.

I’m using Cronometer app, but also have the KetoDiet app not sure which is preferred, mostly use Cronometer as it shows me more info.

At 31 years old, I’m 5’9 and currently weight 266 or so,
My goal calories says 2019, 123g protein, net carbs says 44 but I’ve been going for less than 25, and fat 150g

Have I calculated this correctly? I’m not crazy active but work a high speed retail style job with lots of lifting, and have started walking on my off days a few miles each day.

Any tips? The fat seems high but it is keto so maybe I’m just used to thinking differently.

Considering getting iso pure protein shake as it’s available near me, and my mornings leave me with little time to eat.

My meals have been eggs for breakfast with some cheese, and keto coffee, lunch has been turkey slices or venison jerky (I have a lot of this already lol) and usually a Gouda cheese snack wheel (the tiny ones in wax) and for dinner some sort of meat on a salad no croutons and little dressing but some cheese.

Any tips or places to get better info, haven’t really fully started keto, just been slowly transitioning to not eating any junk food or carbs to doing full keto, mainly for weight loss.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The strict macro is carb intake. Keep it as low as you can, under 20 g/day, if possible. That will most likely lower your insulin enough to allow your body to shed excess stored fat. It can be counter-productive to restrict your calories intentionally, so instead, eat to satisfy your hunger. The metabolic rate adjusts to compensate for the amount of energy we give it.

Protein should be a reasonable amount, somewhere in the range of 1.0-1.5 g per kilo of lean body mass a day, possibly up to 2.0. Eat the amount that feels right (and remember that most meats are only 25% protein; some people forget that). Then get enough fat in your food to satisfy your hunger. You don’t need to stuff fat down your gullet; it’s just that fat is the one macronutrient with a negligible effect on insulin, so it is a good source of calories.

While we’re on the subject of fat, it’s wise to stay away from polyunsaturated fats (which cause inflammation and nausea if we eat too much of them) and stick to things like butter, bacon grease, lard, and tallow for cooking. We don’t need to shy away from the fattier cuts of meat, so you can get your chicken with the skin on, and so forth. Good luck on your keto journey!