New to Keto - help!

(K) #1

Hi all

So I started keto 2 weeks ago and have only lost 1 pound. I downloaded my fitness pal and have been tracking my macros and making sure i dont go over my daily calorie allowance. I’m drinking plenty of water. However I’m not really exercising. Could that be why?

I do have pcos and I struggle to lose weight anyway but I thought because this was low carb it would work.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You’re probably not doing anything wrong at all. Patience, grasshopper!

Not knowing anything about your situation makes it hard to guess what’s going on, but I can tell you that two weeks is not really anything to worry about. I know that there is a lot of publicity pushing keto as an instantaneous weight-loss miracle, but that’s not how it really works. Your body starts producing ketones as soon as you cut the carbohydrate and your blood glucose drops, but it takes six to eight weeks for your body to become fully fat-adapted, a state in which your muscles have fully switched from metabolizing glucose to metabolizing fatty acids.

Some people seem to be able to start losing weight right away, but it’s often water weight, rather than real fat loss. Women, especially, often take a month or two before the real fat loss begins. Many women also find that fat loss doesn’t really begin for them until the ketogenic diet gets their hormones sorted out, which apparently can take a couple of cycles.

So give yourself some time, and keep your carbohydrate low—we recommend no more than 20 g/day. That will keep you in ketosis, and if you can carry on a while longer, you may be surprised how at the results—pleasanly surprised, I mean! :grin:

(K) #3

Hi Paul!

Thanks so much! I’ve just been reading about nsv’s as well and yes my clothes are fitting me better so that’s a good thing. Guess I need to stop getting on the scales so often!

With the pcos my hormones are all over the place so hopefully the diet will help fix that :slight_smile:

Tha is so much. I was feeling a bit deflated but after reading your post I feel better!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #4

I can attest, I’m generally a hormonal mess. Randomly crying. Randomly happy. Randomly anxious. Randomly calm. I’m like a ping pong ball. What I’ve noticed about 22 days in, my moods are beginning to be a bit more stable, which is a huge deal for me and part of the reason Keto was so enticing sounding. If what you’re looking for is hormonal balance and mood stabilization, I think you’ve made a good choice. It takes patience and learning to listen to your body. Meditation helps as well. For me to feel at all stable (and I’m not on any meds except Synthroid) it’s a big deal.

Good luck and keep doing what you’re doing. The journey seems to be like bamboo, it doesn’t grow, doesn’t grow, doesn’t grow, then overnight it seems to spring up 3 feet.

(K) #5

Hahaha tell me about it. My mood is still all over the place. I feel sorry for my poor husband! I’ll definitely keep going. Good luck to you too!

(Carl Keller) #6

Hi Kiran. Just try to remember that keto is carb restriction, not calorie restriction. We should be eating when we are hungry and stopping when we are satiated even if this does not satisfy your macro. Eventually your hunger will begin to behave how it is supposed to and it will determine exactly how much you need to eat… that is if you continue to eat the right things!

That should improve. I can safely say that I am a different and better person since I’ve started eating healthy. The whole process of weight loss and mental improvement is kind of like climbing a really steep mountain. The going can be tedious and you don’t really think you’ve made much progress until you look to see how far you’ve come. We all may have different sized mountains to climb but if we keep making daily progress, we will reach the summit… and the view is glorious. :smiley:

(Carl Keller) #7

Not 20 mintes after I responded to your thread @Kg2007, fate led me to this thread:

A year on keto from a gal with PCOS

(K) #8

Hi Carl!

When I put my details into my fitness pal with the macros and the weight I wanted to lose it calculated my calories should be 1300. So should I be ignoring this as long as i am eating the correct protein,fat and carbs?

Thanks for the words of encouragement too! So glad I found this forum :slight_smile:

And thanks again for the article. Going to give it a read now!

(Carl Keller) #9

I believe you should keep your carbs low (20 net works great for me) and eat protein and fat to satiety and wherever the number of calories end up, that’s the perfect number for you. The key to healthy weight loss is understanding hunger and responding appropriately to hunger. If you are always hungry from undereating, your body will be reluctant to give up any fat.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

Hi and welcome. I agree with keeping carbs below whatever you decide for yourself. For me it’s 20 g net carbs a day. I don’t count calories or other macros but I pay very close attention to my body in regard to hunger, need for more electrolytes, staying hydrated, etc. When I think I want a snack sometimes I am just thirsty or have to pee, even. Or if I think I’m hungry and that tiny voice is saying, no, eat some salt then I try a big warm mug of chicken broth and that does the trick (salt AND water).

Anyway, stick with it, tweak it to make it work for you and yeah, maybe only weigh on the weekend so you don’t make yourself crazy. You’ll see your clothing fitting differently long before you see the number you want on the scale.

(Justin ) #11

I like the chicken broth idea. I will use that for sure.

(Peggy Saar) #12

Thank you Paul! I’m 64 trying to lose 30 pounds. Down 1 pant size in 30 days but scale isn’t budging. I guess patience is a virtue after all :wink:

(K) #13

Hi all! Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice! I’ve lost 2 inches on my waist and 2 inches on my hips! My clothes feel looser so I may need to go shopping soon lol. I am still weighing myself but not worrying about it too much. This morning I weighed myself and then later on I weighed again. It said I gained 4lbs even though I hadn’t eaten. I would have been stressing about it before. But now, after measuring I’m not too worried about it :grin:

(K) #14

Hey guys!

Just a bit of an update. I’m down my first stone today! I had a bit of a break from keto as unfortunately I had a miscarriage in April and all I wanted was mac and cheese (comfort food!) But got back on it towards the end of April. I’m really pleased. I’ve dropped a dress size and feel so much better!

For anyone reading this looking for advice - like PaulL said above - be patient! Keep at it! It will work!