New to keto diet and want to learn more

(darlene) #1

hi, have been on keto for 2 months and have lost 39 lbs. my macros are 10% carbs 15% protein and 75% fat, and 1250 calories.i don’t know why i’ve started getting headaches lately. this diet is the only one i can do successfully as i have no colon. and other diets don’t work for me. i’m happy to say my digestive tract works way better and i can eat veggies now. i have no gallbladder and that doesn’t seem to be an issue. but these headaches are a pain. any help or advice would be appreciated. i have 86 more lbs to lose. my blood work only show borderline magnesium defiency and everything else is good. my blood pressure is normal now, was close to needing medication to reduce bp. thanks in advance for any help?

(Ron) #2

The mild headaches are a symptom of carb withdrawals (much like an alcohol hangover) and they will subside. Up your salt consumption and drink lots of fluids as hydration will enhance them.

(darlene) #3

after 2 months on keto? so once headaches are gone i’m adapted?

(Ron) #4

You are probably well on your way and it is happening now. The body is fighting it but will have to give in. :ok_hand:
You might already be and just feeling residuals that will decrease daily as the body gets used to being a fat burner.

(Robert C) #5

Hi @darlene47,

I could give you general advice like move carbs down to 20 grams or 5% (whichever is less). Or I could say 1250 calories sounds low for keto.

But, I do not feel qualified to spout such keto generalities to someone without a colon and without a gallbladder that is starting to have headaches 2 months in (way past when keto flu symptoms would give you headaches).

If I were you, I would work with a regular doctor to get to the root cause of the headaches. It could be something like sleep apnea that has developed as the size of your airway changes with your body composition changes (especially if the headaches are in the morning). If 47 is a hint of your age, it could be menopause - with the cessation of your period causing hemochromatosis (excessive iron in your blood - did they check for that in your bloodwork?).

Anyway, a doctor - especially one that at least understands keto (along with colonless, gallbladderless people) might be your best bet (someone here may send you seriously off course).

(darlene) #6

i do have issue with dehydration from no colon so that makes sense.

(darlene) #7

1250 cal is hard to obtain most days with my macros. but thanks to my choc fat bombs it’s easier. no menopause but i am cautious of what i do and who i listen to because my missing organs can be an issue. my dr is kind of clueless about keto so any advice is helpful. but yes i need to be careful. and i’m prone to low electrolytes as well but doing my best to stay hydrated , some days is. easier than others though.

(Robert C) #8

I wish you well - sounds like you know what to do in terms of discerning things.

Also (just because you are in the Newbies area so I don’t want to assume) did you know you can search for “headache” throughout the forum (magnifying glass near the top of the screen)?

(darlene) #9

yes just figured since i’m still new to diet nd still learning i would post here.

(Robert C) #10

Asking is still a great idea(!) - especially just in case there is someone here in a similar circumstance.

When I did the “headache” search it seemed that salt may be an issue. You may want to give it a second thought if you are limiting salt due to BP issues. Or, if you are hydrating so much that you actually need more salt because you are essentially washing it away.

(darlene) #11

yeah you could be right. i haven’t been using salt because i seem to retain water which was an issue before and i’m thinking i’m flushing lot away as i have many trips to washroom since starting on keto.

(darlene) #12

i was hoping someone without colon or gallbladder could help as well.

(Robert C) #13

If that is the case - I would put it out there. A new post like “Trying keto without a colon - headaches at 2 months”.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

Salt! I’m stating to call it the duct tape of the Keto world, cuz it fixes so many things.

When you start to feel a headache coming on, take a bunch of salt. See if that doesn’t ease the headache. If it does, it’s your electrolytes.

Electrolytes are something you will have to balance your entire time on Keto, not just during the first few weeks. Anytime your activity levels change, which may happen naturally as you lose weight, those electrolytes can get out of whack again and cause headaches, dizziness or nausea.

Definitely salt and also make sure to increase your water intake, more than seems necessary for both. It makes sense that without the benefit of a colon resorbing water into your body, active hydration is key for you. There are other things that cause headaches of course, but it seems 99% of the time it’s a hydration/electrolyte issue. I was floored when my the counselor at IDM told me to get at least 2 liters per day, so after a colonectomy it would probably mean more than that even.

(darlene) #16

I think you might be right. I’m not drinking enough water. I’ll increase salt and I have miio electrolyte for water. Never had headaches before this diet. But it has been awesome for my weight loss.