New to keto and looking for advice

(Brett) #1

Hi everyone, first post and a few weeks in keto, learning as I go so please go easy on me :slight_smile:.

A couple of questions regarding stamina on the bike and at what point can I take carbs to fuel a high intensity bike rides (and 5k runs).

Bit of info, Iā€™m 43, 6ft3 and 95kgs and par take in anything from 5k to half marathon runs, 3k sea swims, 100k bike rides and a few triathlons (sprint and std distances) thrown in for good measure. Work out 5 to 6 days a week sometimes twice (bike swim run no weights). So Iā€™m fairly active.

Started keto as I want to lose a few kgā€™s and donā€™t seem to shift excess weight easily. Im a fairly strong cyclist on the flat but as soon as the road points skywards I get hammered (reason why I want to lose weight) . Have found recently I am alot weaker on the bike, mainly uphill and if I need to go into the red to try and keep up with the stronger cyclists in my group - which I usually do. I have even found recently after runs my legs ache alot where usually they wouldnā€™t. I have read this is expected as i become fat adapted.

Now my question is. Can I take carbs (eg bowl of porridge etc) while ā€œpreā€ fat adapted to fuel my rides with stronger cyclists if I need to go into the red or should I wait until becoming fat adapted before taking pre ride carbs? Also, once fat adapted will I regain my top end speed which has suffered over the last few weeks or is it generally accepted once fat adapted my top end speed will be slightly slower ?

If you have made it this far thanks for hanging in there and sorry to waffle on.

(matt ) #2

@richard is a keto cyclist as is @TomSeest. Maybe they can offer up some suggestions.

(Tom Seest) #3

You should regain your top end speed over time.

I would avoid things like gels and instead preload with things like nut butters or nuts. Youā€™ll end up burning off any carbs you consume unless you go crazy, and you should be fine.

If you are more interested in a long term strategy, look into Vespa, Peter Defty at http://www.vespapower.com/ or consider coaching from Billy Rice at http://www.invictuscycling.com/. Both groups do an excellent job of coaching Fat adapted Cyclists.

(ianrobo) #4

to me @Bgreen520 I do not think you are fully fat adapted. As stated by everyone it takes up to 10 weeks to become this and using carbs will only delay the process. You (and others) have to except that when you shift to fat adaption you will lose performance, this is inevitable.

It is also why you do this shifting in your off season to be able to get back up to speed ASAP.

Once fat adapted fully (and you have to be able to ride min of 4 hours fasted to know you are) then you will return to your top end performance but it will be different. I would not worry about top end power (if you are sprinting at the end though that is different) but look at your w/kg ratio for your FTP, my guess is that will be better so performance is improved.

If you read my other posts on here you will see what I have done over the year and on substantial climbs (2km or more at 5% or greater) then the increased w/kg will see the difference if allied to increased aerobic conditioning allowing you to spin faster.

IT does require a shift in the way you think but the keys to what we do after

1. increased w/kg ratio
  2. better recovery
  3. less lactate used (imho I have not got into lactate probs once adapted including when going into the ā€˜redā€™
  4. able to go longer than competitors without the need for shitty carbs (esp for triathlons or ironmen comps

I would also advise you to look around at MAF training as well as sometimes you are training far too hard and training should be used to peak for your core aims in a season. IMHO if after a training session you are hurting (except for HIIT sessions) you have gone too hard !!

(Karen Fricke) #5

When youā€™re fat adapted you wonā€™t need extra fuel for rides. Earlier this summer I rode 40 miles being 36-40 hours fasted and felt fine. Didnā€™t feel the need for all the carbs the other riders were eating. I read that elite athletes are training fasted for the growth hormone surge.

(ianrobo) #6

yep and use carbs before big events and during for the top end power, but basically a lot will be low carb at least in the main training phases

(Brett) #7

Thanks for the replies guys. Iā€™ll lay of the carbs for the time being. @ianrobo I know I am not fat adapted yet just wanted to know if it was OK to take some carbs pre ride if I needed to. Ive struggled to find any info on the net about what I can and canā€™t do. Iā€™ll ease back on the running too and accept the dip in performance and not try to push for my normal carbā€™ed pace.

(ianrobo) #8

that is the best way, take short term hit for long term benefit

(Brett) #9

I just hope itā€™s all worth itā€¦ :blush:

(ianrobo) #10

depending on your aims it is ! this was me 2016 - carb burner, 2017 Keto - 12k lighter and fat burner

(Brett) #11

Out of interest when I start to become fat adapted and my power starts to return is it a gradual thing over a number of weeks or will I wake up one morning and feel like superman? Into my 4th week and pace on the bike is a good 4-5kmph down on what i am used to.

(ianrobo) #12

I found it was gradual but of course everyone is different, what you should notice is a change in how you feel for it.