New to Keto and going on vacation

My partner and I decided to try Keto to drop a few pounds before Mexico. We have been on it for 11 days now and we leave tomorrow. I’m not sure I want to stop though as I love the food… main question is

I’ve lost a couple pounds of water weight, but over all I feel bloated and heavy/sluggish most days.
I’m not completely drained, still at the gym and have even made some PRs. Will the bloat go away?

37, 5’6, 155lbs female
I eat 1500ish cals
20c, 117f, 75p (off the top of my head)
Lift weights 4 days a week

Drink 2-3 litres of water a day with sea salts and lemon
Don’t eat between 8pm and 9 am

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

You’re doing great work here and there’s no reason to stop on vacation. Eat the meats and veggies and skip the tortillas. Opt for a shot of tequila instead of a margarita or cerveza and you’ll be fine.

Does your partner want to continue with keto as well? Easier if you’re both in the same boat. If you overindulge on carbs while vacationing just get back on the horse when you get home. KCKO. :cowboy_hat_face:

She’s of the mind that she’s not gonna stress on vacation and do what she wants.
Having said that we already have plans for no sugar margaritas and I’m gonna stay away from obvious carbs. I don’t want to count macros on vacation though so while I won’t eat chips and tortillas, I will prob consume hidden carbs.
I just hope it’s all worth it, I hate feeling so sluggish everyday. Keto Flu is over but I feel … I dunno, fat haha. I’m just so bloated :frowning:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Just do what you can, enjoy your vacation and don’t stress over it. That’s what vacation is about, stress relief :sunglasses:

(John) #5

11 days is not really long enough to get where your body is fully adapted to burning fat. This is not a “2-week quick weight loss diet” so you can then go overindulge and gain it right back.

If that is what you are looking for you are better off just eating in your accustomed manner and enjoying your vacation, then worry about losing weight later.

(Karen Parrott) #6

Meat, veg, fasting BOOM. EZ. I’m dairy free, nut free, mostly sugar free (85% chocolate is the exception), grain free and I vacation with ease.

I figure if I can vacation as a food addict who is food sober, those who do not abstain can nail it pretty well. Onward.

(Carl Keller) #7

Welcome Jamie.

Bloating can be a side effect of keto as you gut adjusts to a new way of eating. But you can eat certain foods that can help/improve your gut biome. The bloating could go away all by itself but it won’t hurt to eat fermented foods like kimchi, pickles, saeurkraut etc and adding in some fiber via foods like avocados, spinach, broccoli and greens. It’s also possible that your stomach is reacting to something different and it doesn’t know how to process it well. Things like raw broccoli can cause problems in some people and some sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners can do it too.

I did Mexico pretty well I think. No sugar in my margs, no beer. Meat and avocados, lots of seafood. I ate maybe 3 tacos and I had chips with my guacamole one day. I ate more fruit than normal, but not a ton by any means. We made charcuterie for the plane. I gained water weight back, but I expected it. Back home and back to it. Still making PRs at the gym. Trying to fast until noon but it’s so hard when I wake up at 5:30am … 3 hours til lunch lol

That’s great!

I’m glad you were able to enjoy your holiday, and the drive you have to just get back to things is top notch. :+1: