New Skillet

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #1

Le Creuset :grinning:

(Bob M) #2

Looks nice. Fancy! What is the surface? Cast iron?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

Yes, cast iron … it’s a beauty. I’m a bit reluctant to christen it.
I’ve got 3 iron skillets, this one, my old faithful and a pitted one that I think is beyond saving.

Went all the way up on that one!

Always a fun project! It’s (almost) impossible to have one you can’t bring back 100%, unless it’s cracked. I used to by Lodge’s which have terrible finishes on them and grind them down and re-season them. Take’s a lot after you grind them bare, but the ones I’ve done are as nice to cook on as my Griswalds.

(Robin) #5

Everything in my kitchen is that brand and color. Even my tea kettle.
I love everything about it. Classy, sturdy, gorgeous. Pricey but worth it.

(Geoffrey) #6

Very nice Peter. Congratulations.

I have a very large Lodge that I do my outdoor cooking with and that’s what I did with mine. Sanded it down until it was smooth enough to suit me and then reasoned it.
I have three Griswalds that are my my main pans and I wouldn’t part with them.

The wood handle on my cast iron skillet is pretty much done. This reminds me that it is time to renovate it. They can last a life-time. Like when a Sicilian in-law gifts you a coffee pot (it is eventually meant as grave goods. You know how old barbarian warriors were buried with their swords and dogs).

(Jane) #8

Sweet!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #9

Yeah, the Le Creuset is great quality for sure but I can put a lid on my old faithful… which I do like on occasions.

(Marianne) #10

I saw a video on Youtube on how to season a cast iron skillet. Mine is seasoned now after so much use, but I wish I had seen this before I got it. You sandpaper it until it is smooth and then season it with oil, I believe in the oven. I’d give it a shot before you get rid of your original. Good luck!

(Bob M) #11

I’ve used the Alton Brown technique, which is where you heat the pan for a bit at about 200F, then put the oil in. Wipe until there’s a tiny bit of oil, a very thin coat. Put upside down in 500F oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, let it cool down naturally.

Repeat if necessary.

This is about the only time I use vegetable oil.