New one

(Nick) #1

I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to do this. A friend of mine lost 50 lbs on keto and I’ve wanted to try it for a while.

I think my biggest thing is going to be breakfast. I need something to grab and go, never have any time in the mornings. Maybe that’ll change if this ends up giving me more energy? I also don’t like cheese so I’m trying to figure out recipes that’ll work for me for dinner. Lunch at the moment is usually a steak tip salad with greek or italian dressing so I think I’m already good there.

So, I guess my first question would be what are some easy to make/ no prep breakfasts that are good and don’t have cheese?

Thanks!

(AnnaLeeThal) #2

You need to take one day a week to prep your breakfasts. Egg muffins come to mind. Basically egg whisked up with whatever add ins you like.

A lot of people like to do Keto coffee or tea: coffee/tea with lots of fat.

Avocado sliced in half with salt and pepper or whatever other seasonings you like. Can eat it out of the skin with a spoon.

Deli meat with mustard.

Leftovers from dinner.

(Nick) #3

Those all sound good actually and pretty easy to start with. What do you mean coffee with a lot of fat? Like cream instead of milk or something?

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Fry up some bacon ahead of time, store it in a container in the fridge. I fry up a lb or 2 at a time. Cold bacon is remarkably good. IMHO it moves to awesomeness when spread with cream cheese. I know you don’t care for cheese…Sad really.

Dinner is easy. A nice piece of fatty meat along with some roasted veggies.

Look for bulletproof coffee, since keto is upping your fats substantially, a lot of people have great success with adding a tablespoon of coconut oil and butter to their coffee (in additional to any other additives you like–that are keto friendly)

I often bring leftover bacon or sausage to work with eggs. Boiled eggs are easy.

I do a lot of “wraps” for lunch and sometimes breakfast. A piece of deli meat wrapped around bacon (we won’t say cheese lol) and ranch dressing is the bomb.

I do a lot of searches on youtube and pinterest for keto recipes. And search the FOOD category here, lots of great ideas.

Good luck!

(Nick) #6

I think if I fried up bacon there would be none left for the week…

I’ve heard of Bulletproof before, I’ll look into it. Coconut oil doesn’t sound bad, but I really don’t think butter sounds good in coffee at all. I’ve thought about wraps before with, say, turkey and mayo in lettuce.

And yes, hating cheese is annoying to everyone, even me.

I recently did a BPC experiment but just with oil as I am not a fan of the idea of BPC (gag!). I literally necked 2T of coconut oil every morning. The experiment I was doing was as well as breakfast but that is not relevant here - I found it pretty filling and could have easily foregone breakfast so that could be an option for you. That is assuming that you want breakfast of course. A lot of people simply skip it. If you are hungry, have something, but there is no obligation to eat unless you are actually hungry.

You can also simply change your attitude towards what makes a breakfast food. It could be anything actually - so maybe simply always have leftovers kicking around from the night before or some cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, whatever. Grab and go!

Good luck and welcome.

(Keto in Katy) #8

I like my coffee with a tbsp of coconut oil, heavy cream, and a little honey. The coconut oil and cream provides fat for energy, and keeps me full for hours.

(Nick) #9

Thats my biggest problem lately (feeling hungry). I tried a low-carb type diet recently and gave it up because I was almost always hungry. Bulletproof looks interesting but it seems like they’re having a quality issue with their k-cups. Any one having problems here?

(Dennis Heinle) #10

Breakfast for me is simply coffee with tbsp of coconut oil and a little cream. Hit it with the ninja and it frothes up nicely. I drink that and usually don’t eat lunch.

(Keto in Katy) #11

Low carb needs high fat to work. If you eat more fat you won’t be hungry.

(Nick) #12

I like the sound of that

(Nick) #13

I was going to a trainer and doing a weight loss program at the same time. Neither mentioned keto, they just both wanted me to stay away from carbs. I think too many people still think fat is a bad thing.

Don’t hate it, embrace it (hating cheese). Most of us hate the thought of having to give up dairy/cheese. :smile:

I would say give it a try before discounting it. Although I don’t drink coffee, I have learned to make (and enjoy) BP hot chocolate. In fact, that’s my breakfast in the morning. Play around with different types of butter (kerrygold!) and you might try MCT oil (not sure how others feel about it, but I like it).

(Keto in Katy) #15

Practically everyone believed this for a long time, most still do.

It’s odd how we can become so convinced of the truth of something without even questioning whether it really is true. The “authorities” must know, right? There is an important lesson here for people who want to wake up.

(Kathy L) #16

Took a while to figure that out! & it’s portable too! Now I love cold bacon! & I always fry up 2 lbs @ a time -(I slice the whole slab in half ) & keep in fridge… to “grab & go!”

Use “unsalted” - & if you whirl it up in a ninja type thing - it gets frothy. I often add a tsp of cocoa powder & maybe a few drops of stevia.

My thoughts exactly-no hunger if you’re eating enough fat.

(Jason Webb) #17

That’s the trick, you’ve got to account for the overhead when cooking bacon. This is why doing bacon in the oven is a thing. I do 2 sheets at a time that way there’s a chance for leftovers!

Boiled eggs and fatty cold cuts (like salami, prosciutto, capicollo, etc).

@Brodvay Welcome to the Keto world! May I suggest listening to the first 2 Keto Dudes podcast for a great introduction to the lifestyle. They answer a lot of questions you may have! The podcast helps me immensely!

(Megan) #20

I never seem to have enough leftover bacon either but I agree that it’s great cold!

I can’t eat eggs so I don’t usually eat breakfast. Just bulletproof coffee. By the way, you can use any kind of coffee not just the Bulletproof company kind. I use a frother to mix coconut oil, heavy cream and kerrygold butter into it. I used to say that I would never enjoy fat in my coffee! How things change!

If you have a couple minutes in the morning, you could heat up dinner leftovers from the night before.

My frother:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SKFCSB6/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490320265&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65