New & need help!

(Kayla) #1

Please be nice!!

I’m very new to the keto world, in fact I was, not so long ago, the person who thought it was bad for you! :flushed:

Some background if you care:
I started keto on a whim (bad idea I know), I was experimenting with some recipes and accidentally got the keto flu. Not knowing there was one, I discovered through some googling that is what I was experiencing. I basically laid in bed for 2 days, almost died after a workout once. Haven’t exercised since :joy: This was all about 3-4 weeks ago I’d guess. I figure at this point I may as well commit. After the keto flu went away I felt pretty good, I really enjoyed never being hungry and had increased energy and focus/motivation. Things were going pretty well and I started intermittent fasting about 10 days ago Since I wasn’t hungry for breakfast anyways… I’ve been doing 16/8. I eat from 12pm - 8pm.
I don’t really know if it’s working (I started this for weight loss, had a baby 6 months ago) I don’t have scale so I’m not sure if I’m losing aside from my clothes being a little looser and my mom making a comment about me looking slim. I have the keto urine strips but I’ve heard they aren’t accurate :woman_shrugging:t2: Most of the time I get a negative or just very faint color change. I track my eating in my fitness pal and my carbs (not net, just carbs) stay under 20 carbs. I’m usually around 120 - 140 for fat (75%) and 60-80 for protein (20-30%) under 1800 calories.

The reason I’m writing this post:
The past 3 days I’ve had serious lightheaded brain fog, can’t focus, dull headache.Not sure why all the sudden I’d be experiencing this since I hadn’t before. The only thing I can think of is that I had some Rebel ice cream that maybe kicked me out of ketosis (if I was even in it to begin with I’m not sure :woman_shrugging:t2:) Also, I ate a slice of pizza about 2 weeks ago because we were invited to a bday party and I didn’t want to be rude and I didn’t experience any symptoms the next day.

I’ve read it could be salt, or electrolytes?? Ive been super tempted to binge on carbs because I have 4 kids under 6 and I home school and I need my brain to work better right now. I don’t want to quit because since started I’ve learned of all the health benefits and I enjoy the diet aside from these side effects. I also feel I have a lot invested into this diet. But I can’t continue on like this much longer. If you think you may know what my issue is or can offer some good advise I’d appreciate it!

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Kayla =).

Firstly, congratulations on your Keto journey thus far, you are doing great =). You seem to be doing well in general on your eating. Don’t be too hard on yourself about the 1 piece of pizza or the Rebel Ice cream. They might have been a factor in not feeling well afterwards, so if you can avoid temptations this early on that would probably be best, but we all have to figure things out at the beginning and FOR SURE none of us are perfect, and we have all made our own Keto mistakes. We all learn from our mistakes, so relax =).

I think your issues might certainly be Electrolyte related for sure.

This is the Ketoaide recipe that many people on the forum make and the creator of it (@Brenda) is a forum admin and also an IDM Educator (and works with Dr.Jason Fung) so a pro to take advice from for sure =).

Considering the issues of us not wanting to go into crowded places for now; you might want to order the ingredients online from Amazon, Walmart or another place, or just make a drink similar. I personally don’t like the taste of salted water, so I swallow Pink Himalyan rocks (little salt bits) with a lot of water, and take Magnesium Citrate tablets dailies to keep my electrolytes up.

I also take a Multivitamin (if you are nursing your baby still you might want to continue taking your Materna still until you are done that, as he/she is removing calories from your body as well =). I can relate to you being a busy mom (I have five that are now 19,21,25(girls) and 23 and 28(boys) and two grandchildren that are both 3 atm, the female one of which lives here and I am the primary caregiver of her, so it is busy still for me =).

I find that drinking enough plain water in a day is important to me as well, to feel well. I feel that I feel more lethargic and get more headaches if I don’t do that.

Another thing that some people have found to be really effective on Keto is incorporating some MCT oil into their diets (often by adding it to your coffee at your noon meal, by example, which is what I do).

I wish you all the best, and don’t be afraid of us here, we are a friendly, helpful bunch =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Welcome Kayla! What kind of animals do you think we are? :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

All good advice from @Momof5 Susan. :wink::cowboy_hat_face: