New (March 14, 2019) all Carnivore podcast - Ben Greenfield and Dr. Paul Saladino

science

(Robert C) #1

Talks about everything Carnivore - many details, some I’ve seen here and some not. Ignore Ben’s introduction if you want - real interview is with Carnivore expert Dr. Paul Saladino (starts at 12:22).

Things that pop out…

• Why no black pepper
  • Coffee
  • Tuber debate
  • Sustainable? (“nose to tail” vs. Ribeyes all day)
  • Fiber
  • Longevity
  • there’s more…

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/carnivore-diet-benefits

(Bunny) #2

“…Humans are “facultative carnivores” meaning we can get everything we need from meat without ingesting the toxins found in plants. …” …More

My question here is if animals including marine life are eating plants (phytonutrients) why can’t you?

What ever the animals are eating (so called “toxins found in plants”) you will be eating also?

Toxins that man puts on the plants? (inorganic vs. organic?)

If human beings were really intended to eat just meat the salivary glands would not be producing the enzyme amylase (facultative) for carbohydrate breakdown in the initial process of digestion of maybe raw tubers into simpler substances?

Hmmmm?

It really does not matter, the paradox of improvements on any diet is the elimination of processed carbohydrates and amount of sugar eaten which increases your defense against fat soluble toxins (bioaccumulates):

• Fallacy: centenarians live longer because of genetics. They live long in spite of what they eat.
  • Theory of “blue zones” has been incorrectly interpreted
  • Not caused by diet (plants, legumes, etc.)
  • Clusters of longevity mutation in certain genes; improves insulin sensitivity, antioxidants, etc.
  • High insulin sensitivity when carbs are cut out …” …More

How do you think they got those types of genetics or clusters of longevity mutations in the genes? (low sugar diets?)

(Robert C) #3

Not a scientist but - don’t cows have 4 stomachs and re-chew and ferment foods?

It seems (but I am guessing) that we evolved the bigger (and more needy brain) by letting them gather into dense blobs of food we could then consume. Denser nutrition, bigger brains, society, computers,…

But, we still have the plant based backup system for tough times.

That seems to generally be one of the claims in the podcast - Inuits only ate non-nose-to-tail if required to.

Good to hear Ben say “but what about this” - “but what about this” and have Dr. Saladino always (just about always?) have a Carnivore answer.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

Thanks for posting, Rob, I look forward to listening to that one.

I’ve listened to a few interviews with Saladino. Not that impressed. He strikes me as not extremely experienced though he wants people to think he is. He seems to want to steamroll himself into the mainstream. I’m not saying he’s wrong, but that his delivery needs to be less adamant. …or something.

Just my gut reaction.

(Elizabeth ) #6

He’s new to carnivore, has book learning, not clinical low carb/ carnivore experience yet. I trust the long term admins and mods that have helped thousands. Give him a few years :wink:

(Robert C) #7

Saladino is a bit too much.

His drum beat is “plants do not want to be eaten” and he keeps talking about things in plants that are toxic (and refuses to accept any idea that humans might have a favorable hormetic response to anything).

For some reason - plant’s adaptation to create great tasting things to aid in seed dispersal (meaning they do want to be eaten in a non-plant-life-ending way) seems to rarely / never come up.

There are lots of hazards in modern-day fruits and vegetables (including pesticides) but, dosage might be the real issue. Half a lemon squeezed into your morning water, along with some apple cider vinegar, might have some great benefits and 5 squeezed oranges might just really be equivalent to a can of soda pop.

That’s one example. Another are grasses that grazing animals eat. Many grasses have their growing region at their bases so the blades even if clipped off, just keep growing. Ask anyone who mows a law - the blades just keep growing from their bases. This encourages grazing and subsequent fertilizer deposited by the large grazing animal to help nourish the grasses. This is part of the basis of the ‘regenerative agriculture’ movement - plants and animals living together for the benefit of both.

People often point out that the fruits and veggies of today have been developed to have a higher carb content, which is true. But the anti plant people dont seem to want to acknowledge that not only do they have more carbs, are larger etc, they also have had a lot of the ‘bitterness’ (toxins) bred out of them too.

That said, I’m not anti carnivore nor pro plant nor pro carb… Just trying to be fair with respect to the facts. And, yes, most likely dosage might be the real issue.

I feel the same. Can’t quite put my finger on it but I listened to a podcast with Saladino & Ted Naiman yesterday & found Saladino tough going :woman_shrugging:

I listened to the same podcast a couple days ago. In fact that was the interview that turned me off with respect to Saladino. He wants to be a big fish but doesnt seem to want to pay his dues - he thinks being the loudest voice will do it for him. Again, I’m not saying he’s wrong, just that I dont like his style.

Agree entirely. I thought your use of the word ‘steamroll’ was spot on.

(Robert C) #12

I get that feeling too - it seems to be partly because of the humor, the sarcasm and assumed complete obviousness of all of his statements - like you’re a fool if you even slightly question a premise or conclusion. Some nice facts mixed in with all of that yuckiness though.

I like listening to dr. Saladino

I think his understanding of biochemistry is interesting, but I don’t know enough about it myself to verify his claims. However, I think Saladino is making some good contributions of perspectives that merit discussion. Out of many voices, obviously Shawn Baker, I really like Ted Naiman’s way of looking at things about protein and have found him very helpful to me, almost as much as Dr. Fung in getting me into fasting.