New Keto Diet - Keto blood limit?

(Andrew Disney) #1

I’m new here so hello!

Ive been doing Keto for a couple of weeks and im not diabetic.
My Keto bloods just hit 3.5 , is that ok or should i be worried about ketoacidosis ?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

OK? Yes. Worried? No.

PS: post an avatar without the silly mask.

(Allie) #3

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=ketoacidosis

(Laurie) #4

Hello, Andrew, and welcome! I think the mask is fine. This is what we look like nowadays!

(Robin) #5

I’ve been doing keto for 5 months, have yet to check for ketosis. I just stay the course and trust the scales, my clothes, and how I feel… all of which have improved significantly. You got this!

(Robin) #6

Hey, tit for tat… post an avatar without the goofy helmet. (Sorry, sarcasm is my strong suit.)

Breakfast with Bubba
(Jack Bennett) #7

That’s solidly in the range of nutritional ketosis. Way below the ketoacidosis range (which only really starts in the double digits 10+ mmol/L.)

Unless you’re Type 1 diabetic there’s “never” a reason to worry about ketoacidosis.

I put “never” in quotes because there might be some obscure medical condition that induces it. Allowing that I’m not an MD, and this isn’t medical advice: as far as I’ve read, you can’t induce KA through diet and/or fasting alone.

(Bacon by any other name would taste just as great.) #8

Diabetic ketoacidosis is not a concern for anyone with a functioning pancreas. Diagnostically, doctors start to be concerned when serum β-hydroxybutyrate reaches 10.0, but as Dr. Stephen Phinney notes, symptoms don’t become apparent until around 20.0. Diabetic ketoacidosis is also accompanied by hyperglycaemia.

There is a condition called “euglycaemic ketoacidosis,” which only occurs under specific, unusual conditions, If you were at risk for it, you would know.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Love your mask.

You are fine. You are in the nutritional ketosis level, no where near ketoacidosis level, that mostly happens with T1D, not T2D anyway…