New here and learning about ketosis

(Luka F) #1

Hi there,

I’m here by way of recently learning about intermittent fasting and ketosis. I recently started opening up to the idea of ketosis and intermittent fasting through videos on Youtube from channels such as Thomas deLauer, Dr. Berg and Dr Ken Berry. I realize I need to diversify my knowledge base of ketosis and the various other processes involved so I’m here on this forum to learn more!

I’m currently eating a plant-based lifestyle and very interested in switching over to a ketogenic lifestyle. I would also be interested in experimenting with eating a plant-based keto at times as well! I’m open to all suggestions to get started and welcome any tips you can provide for me!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Hi Luca and welcome to the forum. Mostly omnivores and carnivore here but some vegetarians too. Good luck with the keto lifestyle.

(Keto Is This Easy):

Try a search for vegetarian keto

(Carl Keller) #3

Hello and welcome Luka.

While vegetarian keto can be done, it does present some challenges. A lot depends on what your expectations from keto are whether it’s weight loss or general well being. Protein and fat are not as accessible in plant based foods and those two macros are big players in the satiation department. Understanding and responding appropriately to hunger plays a large role in a successful and healthy way of eating.

Another obvious challenge you might find is getting enough vitamins and minerals. As a current vegan, I’m pretty sure you already understand this so it might be a good idea to take some supplements to enrich your essential nutrient profile.

Like @David_Stilley, I encourage you to search for vegetarian keto in the forum search engine as well as in Google. I think a lot can be learned from the experiences of others but one thing I notice a lot of (in vegetarian written articles) is the suggestion that saturated fat is bad for us. Don’t fall for it. There’s no unbiased science to support that claim. That belief is a big part of why obesity and diabetes are currently epidemic.

(Luka F) #4

Thanks for the welcome guys! I just read the getting started post. It was very helpful because I was convinced I needed to shell out $300-400 on organic grass fed meats in the beginning (I’m a student living on a student’s income) but it’s good to know I can start with a “dirty keto” to simply get myself fat adapted.

I’m learning so much just from being on this forum for less than 12 hours!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Welcome. I came from a vegetarian lifestyle and while I do now eat meat, I tend to enjoy seafood, fish and pork over the other meats. Vegetarian keto can be done. As for the cost, at first I felt like I was spending more but now that I don’t eat around the clock I’m actually spending much less on average than before keto. There are some good “keto on a budget” or “cheap keto” threads. Check them out. Best wishes on your journey.

(Luka F) #6

Thanks so much @PetaMarie !! At this point, I’m more concerned about overall health and the benefits of ketosis and becoming fat adapted are very interesting and exciting to me. The control of hunger hormones and insulin for fat burning is incredible! I’ve been on a weight loss journey since I was 16 at my heaviest 250 lbs. Today I’m sitting at 230 after going all the way down to a low of 170 lbs 4 years ago…

I’m tired of the yo-yo weight gains and losses and looking for some stability and clarity in my eating. I feel the ketogenic lifestyle is the answer I’ve been looking for!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

My favorite YouTube keto resource is Amy Berger. Her website is Tuit Nutrition. She is all about no-nonsense keeping it simple, and not imposing unnecessary rules.

(Luka F) #8

Hi all, time for a beginner keto update!

I’m now 11 days into a ketogenic way of eating. I’m starting to feel the benefits of eating keto. Got over that keto flu quite quickly as I was sticking to a strict regimen of potassium, magnesium and pink salt daily to get my electrolytes up. I was down 7lbs last saturday (5 days in)

I’m noticing decreased hunger, a much needed increase in focus and mental clarity. I’m feeling less puffy and just better overall. I’m not tracking my carb intake, but its definitely lower than 20g per day. I’m not consuming fruits or anything that would have more carbs like nuts. Keeping my carbs to salads and veggies. Feeling good and I have a few keto recipes I’m giving a shot this weekend for meal prep.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #9

Luka, sounds like youre kicking ass over there. Good job! Im on day 32, myself and can attest to the things youre saying.

Im the same with the nuts n stuff, my only carbs come from veggies and maybe a few stragglers from some cheeses. I cut back on the cheese because I was going overboard for my digestive system. Bloated n bleh, my stomach was like, “can ya stop with all the friggin cheese for a bit? Dayyyyum”.

Figures. A way of eating that is totally thumbs up to many cheeses, my body says newp! Chill back.