New guy on the block

(Chris W) #41

Capnbob hit it out it of the park. I should change my preamble a little as well, being deficient in fat the first few weeks probably made it much harder. I made a lot of mistakes as I went along, but honestly the biggest things I did right were to keep things simple, and eat until I was no longer hungry(and even for the first couple weeks I did not do that myself).
Even at the maintain level if you are excess in fat stores you will loose weight. And if you don’t, do not sweat it, let things level out and watch for the NSV’s. My first 4-5 weeks were by standard means almost scary, In the span a month(33 days to be exact), I lost 26 pounds, peed oil slicks for a day or two, suffered from the real flu(influenza b) had thanksgiving and was kicked out of keto for almost a week(too much protein), lost all the inflammation in my joints(really big), got mental clarity, lost depression( with some PTSD attached) and gained back my confidence, a knee injury which had lingered for 2 months healed, and the one failed fast I did too early my urine the next day literally smelled and looked like swamp water(after a while I realized this was autophagy and was a good thing).

KCKO

(Karl livesey) #42

Hi all. Thanks for your patience. I have been away on holiday, so i left everything alone.
I have no plans now, so i can have aproper start.
My items for the day
2 x keto coffee
2 x waffles
2 x eggs
3 x bacon
6 x sausage Chipolatta

My macros
Cal 1731
Fat 160.8
Carb 6.5
Protien 59

Hope now im going along the right track.

(Rob) #43

That is a great improvement. :clap: It’s good enough to get going.

You have effectively chosen a ZC (zero carb - incidentals only) approach - which is basically carnivore + a waffle. This often works well, but don’t fear the veggies since they can be a nice change of taste/texture etc. Keto veggies can be great… I deep/pan fry Brussel sprouts and they are amazing (nothing like nasty Christmas sprouts). I boil cabbage but with onions, some bacon grease and put butter on it. Green beans, a hundred ways to have cauliflower… mash with butter and cream, baked/grilled, au gratin, etc. Broccoli, broccolini, asparagus etc. I have gone from pushing veggies around my plate to looking forward to them. If you get bored of your menu, add veggies back.

Keto is a WoE of experimentation. I’m pretty sure you could safely eat more and it might speed your adaptation (an extra sausage, or egg, or waffle) so if you feel in the least bit hungry, feed it. Better to feed it fat, but a little extra protein is not the end of the world either. Crazy, but true, a lot of people, especially guys do better, the more they eat, since it heals the metabolism faster.

Best of luck with keto, take 2!

(Karl livesey) #44

Thanks Rob, might try the fried sprouts,
I lack any imagination in the kitchen. For me cooking is a chore. But will try.

(Rob) #45

Me too… keto has expanded my horizons (a bit). I even tried keto baking when I thought I wanted to replace the breads/cakes/biscuits etc. but that was a right shag and not worth the cost or effort (tasted crappy). Fried Brussel sprouts on the other hand… (easy)

1. Trim, halve, microwave steam (a little water in the bottom of the bowl) for 3-4 mins.
  2. Drain well (even dry in a cloth but they are v hot) - important or they will explode when you…
  3. Dump in to frying pan of 0.5cm of hot bacon grease (saved from streaky bacon cooking) or other keto cooking fat. Rapeseed oil is surprisingly keto (low Omega 6) but not Grapeseed oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper
  4. Fry for 6-8 mins, turn once. I like mine looking burned on the outside, YMMV.

If you have a deep fryer they are even better… if pan frying, a splatter cover (cheap) is worth getting to avoid brutal clean up. :flushed:

(Karl livesey) #46

So, 2 days in and first toilet trip, no pain, all seemed fine. I had a look in the toilet to check, red. The water was all red. Anyone had this, is this normal

(Ron) #47

No. You need to get to the doctor. Red is internal bleeding usually. (unless you recently ate something red like beets or such).

(Rob) #48

I echo @mtncntrykid - unless you’ve eaten (a lot) of very red food, that doesn’t sound great. Icky, I know but you could take a picture and maybe send to GP if they do that kind of thing? Especially if you have another similar BM, but I wouldn’t wait a couple of days to confirm. I know the NHS is under pressure but this may well be a legitimate issue. A&E maybe? :flushed:

(Karl livesey) #49

Talked to on call doctor, very good chance a ruptured hemeroid.
Just monitor toilet trips, if it continues then doctors again.

(matt ) #50

Red is usually closer to the exit. Hemorrhoids and such. Dark red (often called black) is internal…

Neither is fun but black is way worse.

(Rob) #51

Glad not major but good to have called. Talk about being on the ‘roids!

Give my regards to Nobby and/or Chalfont! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(CharleyD) #52

The advice to embark on Time Restricted Feeding/Intermittent Fasting is sound. The way to access your fat stores is to bring insulin down low enough.

Fasting is the easiest way to lower insulin as you raise insulin with any food intake that isn’t pure fat.

The easiest way to fast is just to stretch the time in-between meals. It’s like a muscle, so it’ll take some getting used to but your instinct to skip breakfast was beneficial.

(Karl livesey) #53

It is worrying at first, then when you change a whole way of eating, as well as taking apple cider vinegar every morning. You feel like it has to be that.

(CharleyD) #54

Yep, and ACV is just the best, I always keep some at work and home.

(Karl livesey) #55

Update
First visit to toilet today since the bloody visit.
All good. Thankfully.
Keto
Urine test stick says im in ketosis. Moderate to high.
But scales not showing change, 4th day

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #56

It may be a while before the weight starts to change. It depends on how much you have to lose, for one thing. Also, you can be going along not appearing to be losing at all, and suddenly the scale will read 20 lbs. lighter. (Apparently, the body likes to put water into fat cells for a bit before accepting the lower weight, and often all that extra water comes out in a whoosh.) Give it some time, and you are sure to see results.

(Karl livesey) #57

Update.
Got weighed properly yesterday, 12lbs lost fab.
No more toilet problems, but a bonus im only going every 2-3 days now, before it was every day, so saving 50% on toilet roll lol.
Even started trying a couple of keto recipes ( nothing hard or fancy ) pizzas, cheeseburgers and going to try a cheese cake.

Thank you all for comments, advice and support. Im glad i joined this forum

(cheryl) #58

Me too, I stopped the breakfast and just do coffee so I think I am fasting 16 hours now daily, and hoping for some good results.