New guy here (day 8)

(Mark Walker) #1

So, I just listened to episode 21 of the podcasts and it was said that people who are new should NOT fast. I’ve been doing IF during my work day and just drinking black coffee and broth when urges crop up. I finished my carb flu 2 days ago and am feeling awesome.

I don’t know where I’m at numbers wise, and I doubt I’m fat adapted, so should I stop fasting and start eating more?

I want to do the right thing, but I’m tired of blood pressure meds and I want to do everything I can to live to be at least 90 (41 currently).

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

I’ve read both schools of thought. It’s certainly easier to fast once your fat adapted because you’re less hungry. But fasting doesn’t have to be done on Keto, it just works well with this WOE so well. Many people come to Keto through fasting first.
I certainly wouldn’t do EF, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with IF so long as you 1) aren’t hungry all the time and 2) you have sufficient energy.
I started 16:8 a bit too soon and my energy levels couldn’t sustain me, so I backed off for a week. When I felt a noticeable difference in energy, I started it again with no problems.
Today might just be my first OMAD, though I didn’t plan it. It’s sort of happened organically. I think the point of waiting is precisely that. So it’s a natural progression and not something forced. But as each person is individual, I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule for fasting.

(Mark Walker) #3

I’m finding that I have way more energy than I know what to do with, and have been doing laps around my work facility when I can’t sit still anymore.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Then as long as your hunger is in check, I wouldn’t think there would be an issue with IF.

(Troy Anthony) #5

if it’s working for you keep doing it! If it stops working for you, change it. The more research you do the more contradictions you will find, more nuance, more variation. Keto is extremely personal and experimental because the only requirement is to be in ketosis, which can happen on many different paths. The only common factors are macro nutrient ratios, which even differ slightly person to person. I would suggest listening and considering expert advice, forum advice, friends, whatever, but don’t take anything as absolute. Do what feels right, experiment, have fun with it!

(Ron) #6

Mark,
You are fine with IF-ing. The reason it is isn’t really suggested to people just starting Keto is because there is a tendency for many to revert back to the familiar CICO way of feeding they are so accustomed too. The goal on Keto is to increase insulin sensitivity, rid the body of
inflammation, and support overall health. Many come primarily for weight loss so it easier to avoid temptations this way.
The only suggestion I would offer is that when you do feed between IF’s be sure to eat plenty, you want to be completely satisfied and not feel hungry between meals. IF’s are good in the respect that they don’t slow down metabolism like calorie restricting will. The benefit of your IF’s however aren’t going to reach maximum value potential until your body becomes adapted and utilizes fats for fuel to energize as apposed to using sugar. Since the body stores sugar, when you fast as a sugar burner your body will just go to it’s storage reserves when it needs more energy. As a fat burner it will utilize all those old fat cells you have been acquiring over the years.
Hope this explains a little.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Mark Walker) #7

That’s something I’m not sure if I will know or not (when I’m fully fat adapted). I’m not diabetic, my last A1C was 5.5, so I don’t take any diabetes meds or even measure my blood sugar levels. Are there any significant identifiers that help you know when you’re fully fat adapted that don’t require testing equipment?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

@meltedwing have a read of my post, good advice there;

How do you 'feel' fat adapted?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

There is no test for being fat adapted. But there are some signs. You should feel less hungry and cravings for sugary/carby food will significantly decrease. Energy levels increase and/or are maintained for longer periods. Clearer mind. Better sleep. Better moods.

(Ron) #10

There are but they vary individually. Many people say that you will just know. It happened this way for me but is a hard one to describe in words. I no longer experience hunger pains like I used to when my body was fueling on BG. I can (and on occasion do ) skip a day unintentionally without even thinking about food. A two day fast is no problem and my energy levels are always strong unlike when I would run down often when eating sugar and would have to refuel with sugar often to get thru the day. My body feels better, my mind feels better, and my attitude is better than I remember for years.
Physical signs - honestly the only thing I can say here is little things I notice occasionally. I tend to think that my skin gets a little greasier feel to it quicker than it use to, my breath occasionally has a acidic smell occasionally, stronger different urine smell than, etc. Little things. If I had to use one line to sum it up it would be : Everything just seemed to find a balance!

(Mark Walker) #11

Awesome, thank you all for the help! I greatly appreciate it.