New experience - eat breakfast - change it up

intermittentfasting

(Magnus Jensen) #1

Hi, I have been IF 20/4 combined with EF and OMAD 2MAD for over a year now. I experienced “a stall” and decided to swith my macros from 70/30% in favour of fat to 70/30% in favour of protein (I am close to eating ZC/Carnivore). Fat-adapted and feeling wonderfull. Working out hard 6 every day HIIT and weight training.
Given my stall, I introduced a high protein breakfast in addition to a late lunch and “fasting” from i.e. 3PM till next morning.
Results: severe weight loss and super-lean (abs popping out).
My hypothesis is that my body was so used to this IF regimen skipping breakfast, so a change really boosted my daily matebolism.
Anyone with similar experience?

(charlie3) #2

I’m leaning in the same direction. I’ve been zero snacks and skipping breakfast for the past 10 months. My work hours are drastically reduced for the next few weeks so I’m trying breakfast and mid after noon dinner and increasing meat and wanting to try zero carbs. Everything plant based is gone except for a very large dinner salad I can’t seem to let go of. I also do a lot of exercise, walking, steady state cardio, and lifting, to the point where it’s 35% of daily calories. I’ve become very partial to 70% lean ground chuck and salmon. I can’t seem to get enough. It tastes so good it’s a bit unnerving.

The huge salad covers micros very effectively. What takes it’s place? Otherwise carnivore seems very attractive.

(Magnus Jensen) #3

I also experience significant reduction in hunger eating high/lean protein as in chicken breats and beef liver. I I where to eat more fat I do experience an increase in hunger. My strategy is to start the day with bacon (to get “hormonal balance” and external energy (not body fat), and reduce fat in my next/last meal to contain mainly protein (just fat from i.e. bacon grease to cook the lean meats).

(Carl Keller) #4

It’s interesting to note in one smallish study that calories eaten earlier in the day were less likely to be placed into fat storage:

Researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania found that eating late at night raises glucose and insulin levels

The researchers asked nine adults of a healthy weight to eat three meals and two snacks between 8am and 7pm for eight weeks and then asked the same but between noon and 11pm for another eight weeks. To control for sleep, the researchers asked participants to sleep between 11pm to 9am for both of the eight weeks.

They found that when participants ate later at night not only did their weight increase, but so did their levels of insulin, glucose and cholesterol.

They also found that during the first eight weeks of daytime eating, participants produced a hormone which stimulates the appetite to help them feel fuller for longer.

(Allie) #5

Yes this is what I do too. Evening meals make me gain fat, morning meals only and nothing after about 1pm suits me very well.

Sometimes my body needs food in the evening too and when this happens I listen. It happened last night then this morning the scale told me I was down 3lbs from yesterday :joy:

(Chris) #6

I train in the morning very early, so my meals go from 6am to noon and I fast after that. My noon lunch meal is the largest and I stay full all afternoon so this is actually even easier, though I’ve been IFing for years so it’s not exactly hard anyway. :).

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #7

I went into a stall also, and went back to BPC and Protein breakfast. It broke my stall and I started losing again. I have a host of medical issues that happened at the same time so am a bit out of whack—but working my way back.

Congrats on the Abs of steel!

~my story “Class of 2017” on the forum

KCKO

(April Harkness) #8

I do the same thing. I eat breakfast, lunch. Maybe a snack if still hungry but I stop eating at 3pm or 330p. I find I actually am not hungry in the evening. Never have been. So I fast from 3 and 330p until 8 or 9am. Even when I am around people eating at night, I was never hungry. but make that breakfast? I became hungry. Less hungry now that I do IF and Keto but still feel the desire to eat. So I just go with my normal clock. When I visited my mother’s family overseas who had no electricity…when the sky turned dark, I was in bed already. It’s in my genes to not eat late. Even if it’s IF from 12- 8 or 9 which seems typical (at least ) for 16/8 fasters.

(Bob M) #9

I always wanted to try that, but our one meal together as a family is at night, often past 6:30pm or 7:30pm. I’d rather eat with the family (though tonight I will not, as I’m fasting 36 hours). I’m usually out the door before most of my family is up.

I don’t mind missing 1-2 days a week of dinner, but missing every single day would not be possible. It’s the one meal everyone is together.

(Chris) #10

Perhaps this isn’t the solution…but have you tried attending a family meal without eating? I used to do it all the time when I was fasting frequently. I’d cook, serve, and sit down with a glass of water.

I’m doing earlier meals (breakfast, late lunch) as well and it seems to suit me. I am often hungry early in the day, and I generally work late enough that dinner is 8pm or so, which really doesn’t work for me if I want to sleep well!

Several nights a week I do eat with my family when it’s a bit earlier (7-ish) but when it’s a later dinner I just sit with them. I and enjoy the time together but have a tea.
It probably helps that I complain all the time about my sleep, so no one raises an eyebrow when I say “if I eat now I won’t sleep well.”

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #12

Turbulence theory. Your body gets in a rut, reaches a steady state, stops changing. Shake it up, get new benefits. Take a look through the paleo lens. Hunter gatherer ate with the seasons, feasted some days, struggled for nutrition others. Found honey on occasion, ate meat when it was around, ate fruit when it was there. We are not genetically different from our Paleolithic ancestors. We’re just a lot richer and less in touch with nature and ourselves.

(Allie) #13

Yep. Keep changing, keep the body guessing, keep getting results.