New Diet Study including Keto!

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hey guys! My b/f works in the sports science industry and recently attended a conference with a bunch of really smart people. He was chatting with a researcher and asked about keto, and the researcher shared this article that was VERY recently published comparing several diets.

I haven’t read the whole thing yet but I wanted to share ASAP. @richard I know you love science, this should be right up your alley! This is a legit study, not fake news or biased in any way that I can tell. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

(Tom Seest) #2

Link? I can’t see one

(Richard Morris) #3

sure share the link :slight_smile:

(What The Fast?!) #4

Ahhhhahahahaha! Oops! @richard

(Dustin Cade) #5

I want to read these responses too

(What The Fast?!) #6

Posted above :slight_smile:

(Richard Morris) #7

Don’t have time to give it a full fisking … but as soon as I saw Alan Aragons name I knew where it was going - he is determined that people on a ketogenic diet can only lose weight because they eat less because ketones reduce appetite, and eat more protein (which uses more energy to metabolize). His “debate” with Gary Taubes was a prime example. He appears unwilling to accept that people on a ketogenic diet eat less because they can use more stored energy.

In the declarations it appears that Alan Aragon wrote the paper and self funded it’s development. His “co-authors” as such, just made revisions that he incorporated. I’m surprised vegan activists like Michael Greger don’t try this kind of tactic to get their position out too.

The keto section focuses on his interpretation of the Hall study.

The proposed fat loss advantage of carbohydrate reduction beyond a mere reduction in total energy is based largely on insulin-mediated inhibition of lipolysis and presumably enhanced fat oxidation. However, a single-arm study by Hall et al. [51] examined the effect of 4 weeks on a low fat diet (300 g CHO) followed by 4 weeks on a KD (31 g CHO)…

Which, as we know, can be manipulated to say whatever the reader wishes.

(John) #9

Just as you said, the gist of the argument, for this and all of the diets is protein:

A recent review by Hall [61] states, “There has never been an inpatient controlled feeding study testing the effects of isocaloric diets with equal protein that has reported significantly increased energy expenditure or greater loss of body fat with lower carbohydrate diets.” In light of this and the previously discussed research, the ‘special effects’ of LCD and KD are not due to their alleged metabolic advantage, but their higher protein content.

And more to your point

If there is any advantage to KD over non-KD for fat loss, it is potentially in the realm of appetite regulation. Under non-calorically restricted conditions, KD has consistently resulted in body fat and/or body weight reduction [65, 66, 67, 68, 69]. This occurs via spontaneous energy intake reduction, which could be due to increased satiety through a suppression of ghrelin production [70]. Moreover, KD has demonstrated hunger-suppressive effects independent of protein content.

The collective evidence in this vein invalidates the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity. However, ketogenic diets have shown appetite-suppressing potential exemplified by spontaneous caloric intake reductions in subjects on ketogenic diets without purposeful caloric restriction.

And isn’t this the point?

In a 4-week crossover design, Johnstone et al. [66] found that a KD consumed ad libitum (without purposeful caloric restriction) resulted in an energy intake reduction of 294 kcal/day.

I understand the argument that the weight is lost because ketoers eat less, but that is the entire point, I am burning antique Krispy Kreme’s and don’t need to continually stuff my face. My body is getting what it needs from fat stores and not bothering me.

I don’t read this as a condemnation or anything of keto, though the keto section is twice as long as any other and bases almost all conclusions off of Hall, but rather a platform for why they think it is still CICO and nothing more.

Edit:
They follow up that logic in the strengths and limitations section:

Excludes/minimizes high-CHO foods which can be nutrient dense and disease-preventive. Can compromise high-intensity training output. Has not shown superior effects on body composition compared to non-KD when protein and kcals are matched. Dietary extremes can challenge long-term adherence.

Nothing untrue there except they still don’t get that the purpose is to use body fat for energy, matching intake kcals with other diets would obviously miss the point of the diet entirely.

Edit Edit:
I thought the focus on protein was odd throughout, everything is brought back to copious amounts of protein, going so far as to recommend 4x the current reccomendation:

Increasing dietary protein to levels significantly beyond current recommendations for athletic populations may result in improved body composition. Higher protein intakes (2.3–3.1 g/kg FFM) may be required to maximize muscle retention in lean, resistance-trained subjects under hypocaloric conditions. Emerging research on very high protein intakes (>3 g/kg) has demonstrated that the known thermic, satiating, and LM-preserving effects of dietary protein might be amplified in resistance-training subjects.

And then you read the Competing Interests section where everyone involved was or is paid by a “nutrition” or supplement company. Hell some are literally on the board of protein supplement companies.

(Ted) #10

Aside from the possible bias I think the context of many of the cited studies and the article itself needs to be remembered, after all this is a sports nutrition group. Much of this is using “trained” subjects meaning their physiology has been altered by their regular workouts. Specifically they call out the variance in lean mass gain/retention benefits of protein for those that are trained versus those who are not. I think the unstated conclusion is if you are concerned about LM then workout and get sufficient protein…duh. on the other hand if you your main goal is to reduce your caloric intake, lower insulin level, and reduce FM while maintaining LM, then the KD will make it much easier to accomplish.