New Butcher Shop

We finally got a local butcher shop. Have not had one in years. What kind of fatty cuts should I be looking for? I can’t break the bank too much. Anyone have favorites? I know I’m going to be looking for pork belly, but I’m wondering what I should look out for as far as beef.

I found that smoking brisket works well, 14lbs for ~$40 at Sams (for USDA Choice). That lasts a looong time and there’s tons of fat around it/ in it. The only thing is that smoking a brisket right takes a lot of time and effort (1 to 1.5 hrs per pound with a straight wood fire).

(Chris) #3

Untrimmed ribeye is nice and fatty.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4

Get a ribeye when you can. If it’s a good butcher they will cut to your desired thickness. A little less expensive, but equally as fat would be a chuck steak. Have a conversation with the butcher and tell him what your looking for and he may have some recommendations of his own.

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about trying Chuck Steak in my new Sous Vide. I will definitely talk to the butcher!

(Sophie) #6

I have to ditto on the chuck. I get the fattiest ones I can find and grind my own hamburger. It really something if I do say so myself.

(Ken) #7

Depending on how he buys his meat, either hanging carcass or boxed bulk pack, you should have him cut your roasts and steaks with one third fat on them. You should be able to negotiate a little lower price.

(Jennifer) #8

I get the chuck roasts and make pot roast. Make enough for the week and it is awesome.

Duck, goose, lamb shoulder. Pork shoulder.
Duck skin is heavenly, roasted til crisp, and the fat saved from cooking.
Goose tends to only be available around Christmas here in the UK, but the fat is on sale in jars, and worth buying for cooking with. Amazing stuff.
And the last oxtail I bought was very fatty.
Also pork ribs, though they can vary a lot for fat amounts.

can you grill a chuck steak ? never cooked one. I have slow smoked or instant pot a chuck roast because they are so tough, but is a chuck steak more tender??? looking for cheaper cuts for steak that i can grill.

You totally can but they are a tougher cut of meat. I recently bought a bunch on clearance for a buck a piece and Sous Vide them for about 5 hours, then pan seared and they were awesome. Took the toughness right out.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #12

I cook chuck steaks all the time in butter or bacon juice. I’ve never had a tough one.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

This would be my suggestion as I do this with my butcher. I buy a whole primal, have him cut it, leave on that much fat, wrap individually in freezer paper , and he cut the price from $15 a pound for Ribeyes to 10. Good enough for me!

(Chris) #14

Wow that’s a hell of a deal! I need to go talk to my local butcher. There’s one down the street but I seem to always be driving past on a Sunday when he’s closed. Need to get the hell on that!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

Yaaaassssssss
And all that yummy yummy fat. You’ll never ever ever find that at a grocery store. I dream about it