Never lower ambitions!

(ianrobo) #1

Just 5 years if you said I could climb up a mountain on a bike I would have said you was mad. Then I progressed and then finding Keto/fat adaption changers it all. It open my eyes to the possible and not the impossible.

So this weekend I was in Tenerife climbing Mt Teide from Los Gigantes, the longest climb in Europe and one of the must rides on every cyclists list !! The climb is 51KM starting at 15M at the harbour to 2238 at the top and here is the ride in some video clips and strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/1355006341

So it took me nearly 4hours and only stopped for 30 seconds to stretch my neck out, no way carb burners could do this. You then look at the stats for the ride and note the HR and power … must be very fat adapted to do this.

Hence the title. anything is possible …

Very decent average power. You probably mentioned it before but what is your FTP? I have a big ride I am doing in a couple months. I am 40lbs lighter than last time I did it but power has also dropped. Working this winter on getting my FTP back closer to where it was.

(ianrobo) #3

my ftp is around 280W and hence IF is at 0.9. I think it could be higher but increasing my power has not been the goal but simply going longer and harder will do what I want to do.

Of course losing weight without one increase on FTP makes a hell of a difference (a bigger one) hence pros make that their key aim.

(brian) #4

What does FTP stand for?

(ianrobo) #5

Function Threshold Power, ie. the average sustained power you can hold for an hour before exhaustion

(Karl L) #6

That’s crazy good stuff, Ian!

(ianrobo) #7

cheers Karl, not too bad, I could be better if I lost bit more weight but as I explained on the podcast I did that is not really my target and feel good at the weight I am, to lose another 5-10kgs is not worth it for me !!