Net Carbs in spices PER TBSP

cookingguide
spice

(Justin Blow) #1

Now I am not trying to encourage anyone from obsessing and counting all of their herbs when seasoning your plate.

However I smoke meat almost weekly and sometimes do a very heavy coat on the outside of the meat which I eat for the entire week. I was surprised that McCormick would list 0 carbs and 0 sugar when on some of their prepared rubs sugar was the second ingredient listed! I wanted to be aware of the hidden carbs I was consuming and thought I would share what I find.

Once again this is just is not to discourage daily use, just information when cooking large amounts of food ahead of time or just for interesting information! Also spices are different per brand where possible I used the USDA STANDARD REFERENCE for all figures since several of the brands will list 0 carbs and sugar due to a serving size being .25tsp.

I will add as I look up more information as well and please fell free to contribute!

These measurements are for spices in TABLESPOONS so if you want teaspoon information divide the number by 3.

all spice (ground) for one tbsp = 4.3 -1.3 fiber = 3.0 net carbs

black pepper for one tbsp = 4.41 carbs - 1.7 fiber = 2.71 net carbs

caraway seed for one tbsp = 0.8 net carbs

cardamom ground for one tbsp = 2.4 net carbs

cayenne pepper for one tbsp = 1.6 net carbs

chili powder has 1.1g of fat, 1.1g of protein, and 4g of carbs (2.8g is fiber, 0.6g is sugar). So 1.2g NET.

cinnamon for one tbsp = 6.2 carbs - 4.1fiber = 2.1 net carbs  sugar .17g

cloves for one tbsp = 4.2 carbs - 2.2 fiber =2 net carbs .15 sugar

corriander leaf seed for one tbsp = 0.6 net carbs

cumin (ground) for one tbsp = 2.1 net carbs

curry powder for one tbsp = 1.6 net carbs

dried basil for one tbsp = 2.15 carbs - 1.7 fiber = 0.8 net carbs

dried parsley for one tbsp = 0.3 net carbs

dried spearment for one tbsp = 0.3 net carbs

fennel seed for one tbsp = 0.7 net carbs

fresh pepperment for 2 tbsp = 0.2 net carbs

garlic (ground) for one tbsp = 5.3 net carbs

ginger ground for one tbsp = 3.7-.7fiber = 3.0 net carbs

imitation vanilla extract for one tbsp = 0.3 net carbs

mace ground for one tbsp = 1.6 net carbs

mustard seed ground =  1.77 carbs - .8 fiber = 1.97 net carbs

nutmeg for one tbsp = 2.0 net carbs

onion powder for one tbsp = 5.2 net carbs

oregano (ground) for one tbsp = 1.2 carbs - .8 fiber = 0.4 net carbs

paprika for one tbsp = 1.2 net carbs

poppyseeds for one tbsp = 1.2 net carbs

poultry seasoning for one tbsp = 2.0 net carb

pumpkin pie spice for one tbsp = 3.8 carbs - .8 fiber = 3.0 net carbs

sage (ground) for one tbsp = 1.2carbs - .8 fiber = 0.4 net carbs

savory (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme or marjoram)  3 carbs - 2 Fibers = 1 Net carb

!SRIRACHA SEASONING! 6 carbs - 3 fibers = 3 net carbs conflicting information largely depending on brand

tarragon (ground) for one tbsp = 2.0 net carbs

thyme (ground) for one tbsp = 1.1 net carbs

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning  0 carbs listed on ndb.nal.usda.gov and when I contacted them directly.

vanilla extract for one tbsp = 1.6 net carbs

white pepper for one tbsp = 4.9 carbs - 1.9 fiber = 3.0 net carbs

[source: originally from https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2frrzj/psarant_hidden_carbs_in_spices_list_in/
Edited and expanded using search function from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov]

(Mel) #2

Thank you so much for posting this. I havenā€™t been counting spices at all, considered them freebies. Seriously adds up, though. I put cinnamon in a lot of thingsā€¦

Be careful with the mixes and blends, the use of sugar in spice blends is so common.

(melartweaver) #4

Cinnamon, despite the higher carb count, acts as strongly as Metformin for some people. It might be worth a blood glucose/ketone reading to see how cinnamon affects a person.

(Michael Boggs) #5

There are a lot of carbs in most pre-made ā€œtacoā€ or Mexican seasoning mixes as well.

That being said, MOST of the time, the amount of spices you are eating per serving is pretty minimal.

(Justin Blow) #6

I agree in a normal situation most effects are negligible. However when making a meat rub that calls for seasoning by the cup (16 tbsp per cup) it is worth checking.

(Scott Shillady) #7

Very nice resource @Justin, Iā€™m bookmarking this

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

But again, how much are you actually ingesting per serving of the meat. In a rub a lot drips into the grease tray and some gets rubbed off with handling. Whatever is left is primarily on the Bark on the outer surface so if you are eating an entire cross section of meat I believe the carb content is going to be very minimal. This assumes of course you are not just rubbing your meat in pure sugar or molasses.

(Justin Blow) #9

Personally Iā€™ll eat an entire butt or brisket or turkey myself over a week. So it does make a difference ā€˜to meā€™. Also ā€˜to meā€™ and my goals even 20 extra carbs even when spread out through a week is a factor.

Itā€™s just there if you want to see it, if you donā€™t thatā€™s fine to. Everybodyā€™s system is different and thought Iā€™d share the information with anyone else who might be interested since it does take at least some expenditure of time to locateā€¦

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

KCKO Iā€™m not downplaying the importance of counting. Iā€™m just suggesting to take a look at how much of what you apply actually ends up getting eaten?

If I put a TBS of spice X in a casserole dish and I eat the entire casserole, Iā€™ve eaten the whole TBS.

If I put a TBS of spice X as a rub in a piece of meat and slow cook that meat over an open grate how much of that TBS ends up dripping off with the grease or gets brushed off while handling? These arenā€™t easy to quantify I know but they do play a factor.

(Justin Blow) #11

I understand but with all things in life I personally plan for the worst and hope for the best! Lol. Since Iā€™m not that far from my goal small amounts of things seem to effect my weight loss WAY more then when I had more lbs. to lose.
I figure if Iā€™m gonna ingest carbs I want to know where they are coming from and personally Iā€™d rather have a bit of 90% dark chocolate if I choose rather then extra Sriracha seasoning! Lol. Well most days Sriracha actually sounds rediculously awesome right now!
I know some rub gets lost in sweating, drippings, burn off etc. However for example, before I saw the carbs in some of my rubs I would go real real heavy on the garlic (love garlic) or onion powder and now I just tone those down and maybe add some more savory. Been really raiding my rosemary bush lately! Lol. But then I often also seperate the fat from drippings and pour the drippings back on the meat so Iā€™m not sure how many carbs (if any) Iā€™m adding back onto my meat, so itā€™s really just a planning for the worst scenario. I wish I knew how much was actually lost during the cooking process so I could adjust accordingly however with that missing integer I just assume 0 loss when logging and planning my meals.

Honestly if I didnā€™t do the rubs and meat for the week I wouldnā€™t pay any attention to the carbs in seasoning, in my daily life as long as itā€™s not a premixed seasoning I do not count them even now. :smile:

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #12

Iā€™m a heavy herb/spice users and I never count them since going keto. None of them have ever affected my blood glucose as far as causing a rise or spike, even while Iā€™m fasting. I tend to avoid pre-made mixes as I simply have a preference to make my own just cuz I like to. But Iā€™m not opposed to some pre-made mixes, but I avoid those with sugars on the ingredients list.