Need to gain weight

(Edith) #41

Yeah, I would suggest getting a new jar. Five years is a lonnnngggg time. My food philosophy is “When in doubt, throw it out.”

Is it possible, it is the non-meat items you are eating that could actually be causing your distress? @robintemplin found she had to give up vegetables and nuts (fiber containing foods) because it irritated her diverticulosis. (Robin please correct any thing if I misspoke.) Maybe chicken, beef, and eggs would be fine if you weren’t eating plant products?

I am saying this with concern and no judgment, so I hope it doesn’t come across that way, but it may be that your extreme fear of “unnatural” foods may end up being worse for you in the long run than eating some farm raised beef or chicken. Like you mentioned above, even seafood can’t escape being contaminated from something, i.e. PCBs, methylmercury, plastics, and whatever else we’ve pumped into the oceans. If you are breathing, you are getting pollution into your body. It’s just how it is in this world, unfortunately.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #42

Actually it’s a little better than I expected. found this somewhere?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #43

Africa as comparison

(KM) #44

Hard to know what to make of that. There’s so much said about how with the advent of Fat Phobia, carbs and sugars were subbed in, but I don’t see evidence of that here.

Thanks! Oh so they eat fatty too, it makes sense to me but I keep hearing about people in general eating low-fat… I knew it’s not true in Hungarian but as I look at this, the ratio is very similar in the US - the calorie intake isn’t. In Hungary, average male eats 2700 kcal, average woman 2000 kcal, allegedly (but there are so many overweight and obese people, is that possible with those numbers…?). Still too much especially the carbs, of course advisors say it’s the fat, saturated fat and more vegs and fruits are needed…
28:1 and 25:1 omega6:omega3 for Hungary (male, female), IDK mine, I suppose 6:1 or something? I don’t care as I can’t change it anyway.

(M) #46

Thanks for understanding, and for the advice about magnesium. I do think magnesium is very important to keep things moving as much as possible. I will try to not obsess over the food too much.

Pjam - I try to eat the fattiest fish there is (chinook - about 20 g fat per 4 oz…depends on the cut you get as well, just like meats). Sometimes I eat sockeye instead. My other seafood (shrimp, crab) are pretty fatless though. I eat about an entire avocado every day and more pecans than feels comfortable. Basically I get up to. 80g fat per day and I’d really like to get to 100g. I am trying some avocado oil now. Coconut oil is really not feeling good anymore. I was going to persevere another week with it but I’m finding I’m getting increased anxiety and just general unwell feeling after eating it. The last two nights I got dizzy from it…no idea why. I have eaten tablespoons of different fats before and never experienced that. Thought the MCTs would help me feel better but I don’t think they are.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #47

Nuts are good, and tinned fish. And Cod liver oil?

(Joey) #48

I regularly enjoy both - but I don’t have digestive concerns. If I did had such digestive challenges to address, I would go very easy on the nuts (= generally avoid) and not go overboard on the fish (a little humor).

(M) #49

Stopped the canned cod liver. Extremely high levels of PCB’s. There may be more PCBs in canned cod liver than any other food. Also, my vitamin D went over 100. Strangely my vitamin A is still very low, it didn’t change.

How about some beef liver? Doesn’t take much of that to bring nutrition up to par. It is incredibly nutrient dense. Of course, I enjoy it most wrapped in bacon and pan fried that way…

This is my issue with your thinking. How do you propose to know that coconut oil increased your anxiety and made you feel unwell and dizzy? There are a zillion things that can trigger one or all of those feelings, but you blame the coconut oil.

You base a lot of your very restrictive decisions on anecdotal experiences you have absolutely no proof for. That is not rational thinking anymore. Again, correlation does NOT equal causation. At no time, no how.

(M) #52

it happened twice in a row, right after eating the coconut oil. My heart raced a bit and I got dizzy. I am pretty sure it was the coconut oil.

Correlation still doesn’t equal causation. You are likely barking up the wrong tree. Bad nutrition will cause the same symptoms.

(M) #54

Usually when you get a sudden symptom right after taking something a couple times in a row it is an indication whatever you took caused it. I was eating the coconut oil by itself not with a meal.

(Joey) #55

I fully respect your conviction about your own body. The n=1 observations we all encounter in our lives make for strong associations (i.e., correlations, as @velvet notes ), upon which begin to draw conclusions.

But please consider … there is virtually no way that eating a spoonful of something could immediately trigger a sense of anxiety, dizziness, and elevated pulse rate. That’s not really possible (assuming it wasn’t rat poison?) as our digestive, hormonal, vestibular balance, and circulatory systems are not that instantly responsive to a mouthful of food.

OTOH, our mental state is highly responsive to our belief system.

You genuinely believe that eating coconut oil will have these immediate effects on your sense of well-being and balance. Each time you ingest some, you get the same result.

You are experiencing what you are experiencing.

But the odds that the experience results from the coconut oil is most likely zero.

The odds that you have a strong belief system about getting anxious and dizzy upon eating coconut oil has been demonstrated by you, repeatedly, to be closer to 100%.

Don’t eat coconut oil. You don’t need it in order to live a happy healthy life.

But don’t blame the coconut oil. :vulcan_salute:

[p.s. - Reminds me of the patient who tells the doctor that “it hurts when I do this.” Doctor says, “don’t do that.” Problem solved.]

(M) #56

There is a whole thread on here of people who have had heart palpitations from coconut and mct oil. It is known to do this.

And that is why you assume that correlation equals causation. You are wrong. You’ve got the idea planted in your head, so you jump on it.

(Michael) #58

For the first time in my life, I recently had a racing heart. Started taking Metformin again, and then stopped and the heart racing went away. Twice this happened. Was it the Metformin?, not sure, but I take Berberine now instead and the racing has not returned. Zero other reports of this. So why else would I blame Metformin? It says not to supplement with coQ10 while taking Metformin, and I eat high quality coQ10 with my daily beef heart food. Still not sure, may not be, but how many times do you repeat something before you should be convinced that you are or are not crazy? 🥸

(Joey) #59

Yes, indeed. No doubt there’s a whole thread. Probably several.

What has been “well known” includes many things that are not necessarily true. But that’s a whole other topic (another thread :wink: ).

To be clear, I’m not denying your experience. I believe you.

I’m simply challenging the assumptions underlying the explanations you’ve reached for your experience.

Instant symptom onset strongly suggests a compelling belief system - more like a panic attack than a digestive metabolic reaction.

Perhaps I’ve gotten the wrong impression, but it seems you’ve been tabulating a growing list of foods that you believe make you ill.

If so, I do hope you leave enough menu items on your acceptable list that can keep you well.

(M) #60

The heart racing after the coconut oil has happened many times. I don’t believe it’s a case of “I saw this on keto forum and that is what is going to happen to me” and there for my head makes it physically happen. I think it is a real reaction. I have eaten tablespoon of olive oil and never had this… the reason I continued with coconut depsite feeling sick from it and still may is because it seems to be helping things move through better which the olive oil and avocado oil didn’t.

If anybody can answer this - I am wondering why coconut oil and MCT gives so many people diarrhea as compared to other fats?