Need some direction

(Melissa Willick) #1

Hey all… I’ve been doing Keto since Nov 7th. I’ve been down 18.6 lbs at the most so far, but the last couple days I’ve been sitting a few pounds higher than that. My macros are 20g carbs, 50g protein and the rest fat.

You can see on my chart where I’m IFing and I am keeping my macros & calories where they need to be. (Fats are in pink, green is protein & blue is carbs)

My blood ketones have been in the good range, and yet my urine test strips always test in the highest two categories. So that means I’m still spilling ketones. I IF daily either 18:6 or 20:4. I’ve done up to 72 hours with no problem. So that tells me I’m fat adapted but the excess ketones tell me I’m not?

Any thoughts on the excess ketones? Maybe this is just normal for me? I know I feel fat adapted but maybe I’m not…

Thanks in advance for the help… Melissa :slight_smile:

(Mike Glasbrener) #2

Just checking… ~18lb loss in two months and you can fast 72hr w/o a problem? You’re doing great! The urine keto strips measure excess ketones your body can’t use… the first step is fat adapted. The next step (clearly they overlap) is where your body gets better at utilizing ketones in your blood stream. When this happens the pee sticks become of little value since they’ll read low even though you have ketones circulating in your blood. Your body is now utilizing those ketones so you do not pee them out.

(Melissa Willick) #3

Yes, I was able to do the 72 hours no problem… Thanks for the response and the encouragement! I will just continue to be patient with my body!

(Mike Glasbrener) #4

You’re welcome. One other possibility is PISS (aka post induction stall syndrome). Most people’s initial weight loss is inflammation. Thus the first two weeks weight loss is fast. It then slows as your body transitions to burning fat. This take a while to happen. After then the weight loss picks back up if you have a bunch to lose. This totally was the case for me. BTW. Nice data tracking. You’re more data driven than i! :slight_smile:

(Melissa Willick) #5

I hadn’t heard of that term before… I will keep that in mind. I’d still like to lose about 50lbs, so I have a ways to go… Yes, I seem to be a bit OCD in regards to my tracking… I love Cronometer! I can track off my phone as well as the laptop and it’s so easy to add foods from the UPC labels. The data and tracking keeps me motivated! :wink:

(Mike Glasbrener) #6

You’re doing great. My data comment was meant as a compliment. I’m a bit jealous.

(Melissa Willick) #7

I took it as a compliment! :wink: Thanks! I am lucky that I have the time to do it in the day, so I do! :grin: Cheers! :bacon::bacon: