Need science papers on sense of taste

(Todd Chester) #1

Hi All,

I made a remark that keto’s could taste things better than carb burners. It certainly was the case with me. The person who I made the statement to called it a “rant” and that I was neither “neither scientific nor compassionate”. I really do respect this guy in a lot of ways and need to show him the actual science. It is very important that I get back on his good side. He does accept science as he is a PHd himself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also need to show him the addictive nature on carbs in a science paper(s) too.

I am up against this:
Sugar addiction: the state of the science
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27372453/

" Conclusion: Given the lack of evidence supporting it, we argue against a premature incorporation of sugar addiction into the scientific literature and public policy recommendations."

which is baloney, but I have to prove it to him.

Many thanks,
-T

I started at the paper below because I recent observation (n=1) on a carnivore diet trial was that the usual plain water that I drink tasted ‘sweet’. It’s interesting to think about a ‘sweet’ taste as it can be associated with pleasure. That would lead us toward sugar addiction. But I’ll start with this paper and leave a trail.

Moving on to humans.

So we can see the biology and genetics of ‘sweet’ taste receptors.

On to the development of sweet taste hedonics in children.

At this stage we can observe that the biological drive for children is toward hyper-sweet foods and that these foods ‘blunt’ the flavours of other foods. Thus, if the sweet foods are reduced or removed from a diet the other foods are no longer blunted in flavour and taste better.

In nature, carbohydrates are a source of energy often equated with sweetness, the detection of which is associated with powerful hedonic appeal. Intakes of processed carbohydrates in the form of added sugars and sugar-sweetened beverages have risen consistently among all age groups over the last two decades.

A low carbohydrate diet that induces nutritional ketosis will be perceived as making non-carbohydrate rich foods taste better.

Repeat exposure to sweet taste may set up an acceptance and preference behaviour stack (inconclusive) .

This is where I got distracted and ended up in New Zealand

I wanted to get into the brain to investigate the neurophysiology of sweet taste and could see this paper as a way in.

I’ll leave it there for now. Hope something in here helps.

(Todd Chester) #3

Wow! Incredible. Thank you!

1. I need a “nicer” term for “carb burner” (I never thought that would be insulting as I am not insulted in the least by the term “fat burner”.)

2. I need something that says fat burners can taste sweetness at much lower levers than carb burners (my experience, my taste returned, but I need backing).

3. I need something showing the addictive nature of high glycemic carbs

I have this,

but it is only a hypothesis

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The link between sugar and addiction lies in the effect of the fructose moiety of sucrose on the nucleus accumbens. The glucose moiety appears to have no such effects. Just as fructose and ethanol are dealt with the same way in the liver, they also appear to have similar effects on the brain (though without the acute toxicity of alcohol impairment).

What came up in PubMed when I searched on “fructose nucleus accumbens” was almost entirely rat studies, but see if this study is of any use to you:

just a snip…sweet water means life and more when one was in search of life saving drinkable water for survival out ‘there’ in life…we know a sulfer smell or whatever meant tainted etc.

So sweet water is truth. Water is SWEET in taste if one is OFF all taste bud deadening crap/processed more current ‘food’ in this world and when one goes back to natural life eating, whole foods and limited carb intake from we find ‘that water is sweet and friggin’ enjoyable!’ So many say I hate water, yea cause you are drinking sugar laden crap and many troubles thru food intake obvy, and a carb addict to the ultimate, but in the end, eliminate down and water shows ‘sweet’ and ‘a go to for life’ one requires.

Just AS ALL THE DARN people who went into lc way of life, dropped tons of sugar and changed health and THEY will always say taste change. Simple as that.

Heck I am zero carb and you give me a whiff of food or a tiny bite and I can say there is sugar in that from a mile away.

Of course taste change thru ketosis. We get ‘wonky’ as our ketones change with bad breath, taste differences and more as we drop glucose burn over to ketone burn…ask any of us, we know LOL but one who never goes there ain’t got a clue.

and ‘real hardcore science’ on it vs. lifestyle eating and taste and what we know thru experience, ain’t there yet truly in my eyes. Those ‘tests between taste on carb eaters and VLC/Keto type eaters ain’t out there’ and probably won’t be for a longer time.

I say screw science, do the time and learn real truths!!! So many will never go there ever so at some point say come and learn eat or that crap and continue to wither.

just thoughts on it and not all science’y at all :slight_smile:

So many are too scared to come this way truly but those of us who want more, find our path this way and taste change is real and it is natural and it is not an illusion ever.

(Todd Chester) #6

We both know this is the case. I now can taste things like I did as a kid. But I need science paper to present to this guy.

I hear ya, some people must have it on paper to pretend it is a real deal even thou 100s of thousands experience it LOL