Need Quick Food Ideas

I am noticing that I get home in the middle of the day and am starving. Then I eat a little badly, do a lot of snacks, grabbing Cheese, nuts and berries. If I have eggs then it is ok but I can only eat eggs so many times a day. It has been almost a year but I miss sandwiches and being able to grab things. Need to leave the house soon and there is nothing to quickly make for lunch.

Yes, I have extra portions frozen, I do cook, I do make keto rolls but do not currently have any made and no time to make them today. Plus, when I have them made I eat too many. Went through 6 over the weekend. Never made any fat bombs and looking for real food not something to tide me over. I do not eat pork so bacon and pork rinds are out. Suggestions please

(Chris) #2

I like to fry up 2-4 pounds of bacon in a skillet and keep that in the fridge.

Thank you but I do not eat pork. Also, I am trying to get away from snacking, I am considering trying to eliminate nuts and cheese temporarily to see if I can get unstalled. I really want quick but real food that would fill the sandwich gap without every meal being something made with almond flour

(Marilee) #4

I also don’t eat pork (life-long allergy). The grocery stores in my area have started carrying beef bacon, and it has CHANGED MY LIFE! I use a beef bacon weave as a sandwich “bread.”

(Garry (Canada)) #5

Avacado smoothie…Greek Yogurt with Hemp seeds…Sardines on Melba toast… Veggies with sour cream dip???
Lots of options…be creative.

(Vincent Hall) #6

Yep, tin of Sardines in virgin olive oil, same with Makeral.
Salmon, tinned?
I make my own flaxseed/hemp bread and have warm Brie witb sardines in olive oil as my Starter, ton occasions, well once or twice a week. Then, I make the rest of the meal if I, eating on.
Fat bombs, cant go wrong with them unless you really can’t resist and stop at one or two
\v/

(Chris) #7

Ah, okay, I’ve got no issues with you avoiding pork, many people do. Have you considered getting a dehydrator to make a large amount of jerky at once? Or perhaps beef pemmican? I think pemmican might be your golden ticket. Also as @Mamamair said, get some beef belly and you can make bacon from that (I’m salivating now btw).

(Lonnie Hedley) #8

If you want to get away from snacking, you might want to pick a day to meal prep. Takes the guesswork out of the equation.

I know some people need variety, but I’ve found eating almost the exact same thing every day frees up my time for other things. I remember stressing over what I was going to eat. That is no longer an issue.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Once upon a time, I used to do 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day on the LCHF. Some things I did were:
Almonds… preferably Marcona almonds marinated in oil. An ounce or so at a time.
Babybel cheeses. Nice hit of protein and fat, low carb, portable wax wrapper.
Protein shakes- I keep higher protein here than some suggest, so a 35g Worldwide nutrition shake is a nice breakfast replacement for me.

My wife likes to wrap some cheese in some deli meat. Ham and turkey are her go to choices, but you could easily use beef, chicken, or turkey, as the ham is out. Watch carbs on things like honey roasted turkey.

(Tovan Nhsh) #10

I’m with you there. I cycle through five main dishes & have for the past year or so.

(Trish) #11

The quickest, easiest is just to make extra the night before and put leftovers in the fridge. Then when you get home the next afternoon you just need to warm it up. If you have more extra, toss it in the freezer for next week. All our leftovers get portion packaged and frozen for another day when no one feels like cooking or there’s only one person home or schedules are wonky an we’re all eating at different times.

(Jo) #12

Pepperoni wrapped mozzerella

(Alex) #13

As a quick fix, I would still suggest you the thing you are ignoring - fat bombs. Why? Because they are exactly for that purpose (in my mind) and they work. You can make them from real food, but as it’s so fulfilling, it will help a LOT with your issue.

If the fat bombs are truly out, then I would suggest anything with side-dipping, as usually, they will be more satisfying to eat when fighting with cravings and if the side-dipping is full-fat then it will help with the further cravings.

The third and my favorite part is food prep. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that your meal routines are not in place and that’s why you get those cravings? The most effective way for myself is pre-calculated (macros) and pre-prepped meals done in advance, and I usually try to eat at the same time(s) every day. It’s magical how your body can start following your routines after some time.

(mags) #14

I cook up a batch of chicken wings in my slow cooker. Cook for ages and then freeze the stock as ice cubes. Great to drink in hot water later with knob of butter. Eat the skin and meat warmed up with butter, cream or mayo. Very filling and tasty.

Thank you for the replies. A couple of things, while I loved all the fish ideas, I personally do not enjoy eating fish, I will do a snack of lox (nova salmon), cream cheese and cucumber which is quite tasty and tuna is I am desperate but otherwise I stay away from fish in general. The various salads, tuna, egg and chicken with homemade mayo are a good idea but I have no idea what to eat them on

Not exactly. I make dinner every night almost for H and the family. To be honest a lot of what I make for dinner I personally do not enjoy eating, such as roasted chicken, and stew. However, dinner is not usually a problem, I am not starving and can usually find something to eat. Until recently I was not too hungry at lunch time so it was fine. Lately I am starving and that is when I have to eat and make mistakes, not sure what changed but something has.

I personally have nothing against fat bombs, I have simply never made them and other than taste do not see the difference between a fat bomb and eating a teaspoon of oil. While I will have swerve or xylitol if I am craving something sweet (maybe about 2X a week), at 2pm I am genuinely hungry but cannot think of what to eat but I am not looking for sweet, I am really looking for a sandwich equivalent so I can have my lunch and move on with my day.

I do not prep in advance for a number of reasons. First, I am not a routine person, and I agree with Megan Ramos that you should surprise your body. Eat when you are hungry not by the clock. The other problem is that food is often wasted, I make something and it is in the fridge for days because I end skipping a meal or doing a fast. Certain things make sense such as making extra of foods and freezing the excess which I already do. Sometimes I am simply not in the mood on the actual day. For example I bought a brisket over the weekend intending to cook it by Tuesday, still have not gotten around to it

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

A spoon is most workable, but a fork will work in a pinch.

(Darlene Horsley) #17

Peel cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and fill with one of them. Cucumber boats. :slight_smile:

I like that idea. Will try it soon

(Darlene Horsley) #19

It’s my go to if I’m in a hurry. Hope it helps you out some.