Need protein advice

(Mark Lewis) #1

I am looking for any tips on covering the protein macro. When I first started Keto I was getting too much protein, most eating meat and had trouble getting enough fat. I fixed the fat issue with bulletproof coffee and misc fat bombs. While I am now staying under my carb and getting close to the fat macro (I am not so much worried about fat as long as I don’t feel hungry … not as much as when I started) I am having a hard time getting enough protein.

Does anyone have an advice or tip they have learned from their experience?

I’m confused. How would adding BPC and fat bombs decrease grams protein consumed?

(Mark Lewis) #3

It does not decrease protein. I was probably not as clear as I should be. Before adding more butter and coconut oil to my diet via BPC and fat bombs I was getting most of my fat through meat, cheese, and eggs. That was causing me to spike my blood sugar via gluconeogenesis. So I found other sources of fat that did not have as much protein, which works but now I am hitting my carb limit or get close to my fat macro without getting enough protein. It feels like a tight balancing act that I don’t have quite right.

Does that help?

Two more questions:

• are you also trying to achieve a daily calorie target?
  • how did you determine protein grams target?

Sorry…lots of questions…but, just trying to understand nature of your situation.

(Mark Lewis) #5

No worries about the questions. I used the Keto Calculator to learn the macros I should aim for. I don’t care so much about calories but for an overall goal and macro calculator. I am aiming for 1850 per day (which I am often under).

Generated by Keto Calculator 9.12

43/M/5’11" | CW 213 | 29.7% BF | Moderately active

• 1850 kcal Goal, a 29% deficit. (766 min, 2609 max)
  • 20g Carbohydrates
  • 100g Protein (90g min, 149g max)
  • 152g Fat (32g min, 236g max)

I know the answer is I need to learn foods that work, for instance instead of BPC in the morning have some bacon and eggs. I was hoping for tips from those that experience this balancing act. Perhaps it is a dumb question (or one more suited for facebook groups).

There are also protein bomb recipes you might look into. Not to drop in your coffee but just as a morning aside.

I often eat a protein fat bomb in the mornings. I use a muffin tray and in each one I put.

• 1t cacao
  • 2t ground flaxseed (18% protein)
  • 1/2t ground acai powder
  • 2 scoops of stevia (equiv. 2t sugar)
  • pinch of salt and magnesium citrate powder
  • 1.5T coconut oil (melt if solid)
  • 1T complete protein nut butter (or almond butter, 20% protein)

Mix together and refrigerate overnight.

Each drop is: 363cals, 4.7g carbs, 34.5g fat, 8.5g protein

If you added 1T of pea protein powder to each drop they would be up around 20g protein per drop. If you want to get clever you can mix the whole lot together with some eggs and almond flour and bake it for even more protein.

Also, it liberates my morning tea to be just good tea.

No…not a dumb question at all! It’s a good one!

Ok it’s good news that you are not limiting your calories…because it would be hard to squeeze the three macros in and try to meet an unrealistic calorie goal…like two targets fighting each other.

When it comes to proteins and meals, which do you like the most (or have the best digestion with)? Cheese, eggs, beef, poultry, beef, fish, seafood, lamb, pork, nuts, or other?

My recommendation would be to think about the prefered proteins (from list above), and in each of your meals, (breakfast, lunch, dinner), try to incorporate more of it. For example, if you like beef, see if you can add beef sausage to breakfast, add sliced roast beef deli meat in your lunch, and add easy-fry minute steaks to your dinner.

(eat more) #8

how long have you been keto?

29% deficit right?

You can also sprinkle hemp seeds on your salads and ketobread. They’re 33% protein. So 2T of hemp seeds gives you another 8g protein, a little more than an egg but quicker.

Parmesan and mozzarella are two of the highest protein cheeses. 42% and 32% (but read your own labels of course), so they are more protein per gram than most meats.

Other proteins that are quick to add to foods are collagen powder, dried anchovies, and bone broth powder. Even jar anchovies are quick.

(Mark Lewis) #12

Close to three months. I am starting to research IF, but I have not pulled the trigger there yet.

Yeah according to the calculator 29%, to be honest, I am getting between 1300-1600 calories a day. I never feel hungry so I don’t think it is an issue.

(Mark Lewis) #13

I have used hemp seeds for other recipes, I have them around the house, good suggestion.

They store about a year at room temp. Better in the frij.

IF gets easier the longer you are keto (depending on your exertion levels).

Good luck.

(Mark Lewis) #15

Thanks, @Fiorella, good suggestions.

I read an article on the effects of protein deficiency, it did not sound good. Initially, I did it on purpose because as I mentioned above I was getting high blood sugars with little to no carbs, it confounded me until I listened to the 2 Keto Dudes protein podcast.