Need more Information before gallbladder removal!

gallbladder

My partner has been experiencing vague abdominal pain for months but it has recently gotten worse. After ordering some tests from the GP she was told to go to a hospital if the pain got worse. The pain got worse and we went to the hospital. The hospital did some tests and saw some gall stones but in the absence of inflammatory markers and the pain being on the left side (rather than the right side) of the body they discharged her. After another ultrasound and another trip to the doctor she has again been instructed to return to the hospital (see images). She is currently in the hospital and they have decided on a gallbladder removal but they are not positive that a gallstone is impacted, the blood tests are not “screaming” infection or impaction, or that removing the gallbladder will solve the problem. We are in Australia so cost is not an issue. This seems like a bit of a dilemma because it seems like she is not in immediate danger, other than the pain, and clearly this is not reversible and could impact on her digestive system. To be clear I am not looking for internet strangers to make a life altering decision but it feels like we don’t quite have enough information to make an informed decision and just looking for the next piece of the puzzle or what questions we should be asking the doctors/surgeons…

(Robin) #2

I can understand your frustration and fear about finding the correct treatment. I hope no one here gives you anything but encouragement and support. Even if we were doctors, we couldn’t offer a opinion based on a export. Not on something so dramatic.just wouldn’t be prudent.
But, I hope hope hope your partner gets better. Best wishes!

(Megan) #3

Then what else do they think might be going on? Ask them about non surgical interventions. Ask them if the surgery is absolutely needed right now or does she safely have time to go home and research other options. Some people do absolutely fine after having their gall bladder removed, other people have issues. In the end she needs to be guided by the doctors looking after her but if they say she is not in any immediate danger I’d be taking some time to explore the issue thoroughly.

All the best to you both!

(Allie) #4

My friend had hers removed and has had various problems as a result, including a hernia.

Definitely research before proceeding, as you’re doing, but ultimately it’s her decision how she wants to proceed. My friend opted for what she thought was the quickest fix and is unfortunately still suffering as a result.

My line manager recently had his gall bladder removed.

I don’t beleive he has had any problems since, but he is the type of person who avoids fatty foods in the main anyway (excepting pizza) and would eat veg, fish and lean meat mainly.

His surgery was a keyhole procedure.
Not sure if this mitigates the risk of developing a hernia, but I would imagine it would do as opposed to convential ‘opening up’ surgery.

Doc’s remove many gallbladders that don’t need to come out, whether your wifes is one of them or not… I dunno. BUT if I were in that spot, I’d do a gallbladder flush/cleanse to see if it did the trick. I’ve seen a handful of videos of people that do them, and some pretty amazing/weird/creepy stuff winds up coming out on them!

Sure as hell can’t hurt!

Would this treatment be an option as opposed to surgery?
I suppose it depends on the size of the kidney stones and the urgency dictated by the current pain being experienced.

"Shock wave lithotripsy (SWL)

SWL involves using ultrasound (high-frequency sound waves) to pinpoint where a kidney stone is.

Ultrasound shock waves are then sent to the stone from a machine to break it into smaller pieces so it can be passed in your urine.

SWL can be an uncomfortable form of treatment, so it’s usually carried out after giving painkilling medication.

You may need more than 1 session of SWL to successfully treat your kidney stones."

There are other alternative treatments listed here too:

Kidney stones - Treatment - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

It’s a difficult call. I hope you and the doctors can figure it out.

I wonder if the problem might be a dodgy appendix, instead of the gall bladder. I had occasional weird synonyms of nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain over about a year and a half before it became clear that my appendix was the problem. The doctors never considered it, because I was twenty years older than the typical patient with appendicitis.

(Allie) #9

I asked my friend for input as she’s been through it, this is her reply -

I could say I got off lightly to some who’ve had it done. Discounting my incisional hernia. Around 50% of people get issues with the bowel. It’s actually on the pre op form you sign.

(Doug) #10

The pain being on the left side versus the right side is definitely odd, for gall bladder trouble. I had my gall bladder removed in 2015, and I could definitely feel that something was wrong, on the right side but not far off center.

I think that “Clinical and biochemical correlation is advised” is correct. They should be able to confirm things.

(Robin) #11

The left side is common for diverticulitis, but it’s a very acute and sharp pain in a very specific spot.

(Allie) #12

Seems to be multiple issues going on, not sure it’s a good idea to get any body parts surgically removed without knowing for sure what the actual cause of the pain is.

(Robin) #13

Yes to that!