Need help!

(Brandy Fischbach) #1

Ok so I have been doing lazy keto. My hubby, son and I are all eating the same things. My hubby has lost 32 lbs in less than 6 weeks. I lost 10 lbs, but actually gained 2 lbs this week. My son has lost 11-12 lbs. I know I shouldn’t compare myself, but it’s hard. Also, I do have Hashimoto’s so I know that will affect me as well. Looking for some guidance. This was my menu this week.

Monday: Breakfast: BPC. Lunch: 2 slides of lunch meat, a piece of cheese and 4 strawberries. Dinner: Low-carb tortilla pizza. Also have 1 piece of sugar free candy after dinner.

Tuesday: Breakfast: Coffee with HWC, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 piece of cheese. Lunch: Keto meatloaf, 4 strawberries and cauliflower tots. Dinner: Low-carb tortilla pizza. One piece of sugar free candy after dinner.

Wednesday: Breakfast: BPC. Lunch: Keto meatloaf and collard greens. Dinner: Keto jalapeno popper chicken. Also 1 piece of candy after dinner

Thursday: Breakfast: BPC. Lunch: Jalapeno popper chicken, collards. Dinner: Taco salad . One piece of candy after dinner.

Friday: So far I have had Breakfast: BPC. Lunch: jalapeno popper chicken.

I know most hard core keto folks don’t do sugar free candy or low-card tortillas and I am trying to transition to more whole foods slowly, but I’m also on a budget, have time constraints as far as cooking and have to please all three of us.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

(Allie) #2

Guys lose much easier. It’s unfair, but it’s just how it is. They have stable hormones, we live on hormonal rollercoasters so always have ups and downs. The fact that you’re losing shows you’re headed the right way.

(Garry (Canada)) #3

Go the extra mile and quit the candy. You know it’s just crap that you don’t need…
Why not have a delicious handful of nuts instead? They’re more filling and very nutritious for your body.
Good luck.

Just keep going - it’s going to take time but looks like overall you on the right track. Tinker here and there and you’re golden.

(Stephanie Sablich) #5

SO FRUSTRATING to lose weight with men around. :slight_smile:

How many (net) carbs are you getting in a day? Are you sure you’re in ketosis? How about total calories? My concern is that if you’re not eating enough calories regularly AND you’re not in ketosis, your body may have freaked out trying to run on glucose, and started to conserve/retain fat.

My other question: have you considered intermittent or extended day fasting? For me, this is the ONLY way to reduce my weight at anything but an excruciatingly slow pace, since I have such extreme insulin resistance.

How are you feeling, other than not losing weight as quickly as those dudes in your life?

You’re obviously doing something right to have lost weight in the last 6 weeks, and kudos to you! It can be frustrating to have to experiment to find what works for you and your body… but once you do, it’s pretty fun :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #6

I’d quit the BPC in the mornings also unless you are hungry, drink it black. And men are sickening! LOL

(Brandy Fischbach) #7

I have no idea if I am in ketosis. LOL I’m on week 6 now and have no clue. I usually don’t go over 15 carbs a day, max 20. I have tried IF, but actually seem to gain when I do it. Not sure if my body needs those extra calories or what. I’m not really counting calories. I did 2 days straight of 17 hour fasts and ended up gaining 2 lbs. As far as how I feel, I’m still sluggish, cranky and tired. LOL

(Candy Lind) #8

Don’t get discouraged! Yes, it will take you longer and the Hashimoto’s will affect things. You can do this - it will just take longer.

I second the “quit the candy” comment; if you’re a sugar addict you’re better off stopping anything sweet for a while; the cravings go away and your tastes change remarkably quickly.

Another thing to consider - are you eating enough? I think instead of “lazy” you should simplify your diet some more (lose that low carb tortilla pizza and just eat some meat and a vegetable with some kind of butter/fat added instead) and track your food intake, at least for a few days, to 1) see if your fat percentage is high enough and 2) make sure you are eating enough calories.

I’m the poster child for not eating enough on keto. I was still buying into the CICO (calories in calories out) myth and trying to limit my calories to between 1050 and 1200 when I found this forum. I sure wasn’t losing what I thought I should be! After doing a lot of reading, I decided I needed to eat more fat and increase my calories. I went up to 1300. WHOOSH. Scale started dropping! And this is me doing NO exercise. When I hit another stall, I decided to try it again and went up to 1400-1450. WHOOSH. Another weight drop. It’s NOT about the calories.

If you are eating enough to get full, then you’re probably fine. If you’re not, YOU’RE NOT. You have to eat enough to allow your fat storage to escape from what I term the “Berlin Wall” that insulin resistance creates. If you try to limit calories, especially if you’re not fully fat-adapted, you will get exactly nowhere.

There is a keto on a budget topic here somewhere, I believe, and also a lot on that subject at ketoconnect.net. It’s really not expensive to eat this way, mainly because of all you are saving by not purchasing processed foods! Maybe you can recruit your hubby and son to help you do all your meal prep in a 3-hour window on the weekend so you don’t have to worry so much about cooking during the week, just “heat and eat.” You might try mason jar salads to make some meals easy and quick (see dietdoctor.com or google “mason jar salad” for ideas). And when you’re doing your meal prep, you could also portion out some nice fatty snacks like a small amounts of nuts, cheese and summer sausage, or pork rinds and guacamole or ranch/blue cheese dressing for dipping.

This community is here to help with problems you are having of any type. If you need ideas for meal planning, recipes that “keto-fy” family favorites, or anything else that help you stay “on goal,” we’re here! If you have a specific problem, it’s probably a good idea to post a new topic in “newbies” or in the appropriate sub-forum. But this new thread will work for the time being, since the new stuff “floats to the top.” In the meantime, KCKO! (click that link - you’ll thank me later.)

EDIT:

My bet, after reading this: you’re not fat adapted yet, and you’re not eating enough. Tell your hubby to take the scale and HIDE IT. Then EAT. Eat fatty foods that enrapture your taste buds and make everyone look at you wierd because there’s so much on your plate! Keep the carbs low. Replace carbs with FAT. Give your satiety hormones some reason to reactivate. If you are not eating enough to get full, if you are not ENJOYING yourself in this way of eating, you’re not doing it right!

(Brandy Fischbach) #9

I don’t feel as though I am limiting myself. I am not really that hungry most of the time. I will try to up the fat though and see if that will help.

(Stephanie Sablich) #10

I agree with @CandyLindTX, completely! It definitely sounds like you’re not getting enough calories if you’re still tired, cranky, and sluggish. That’s a bonkers way to feel, and I’m sorry!

So… I’d up your calories with fat as much as you’re able. Give your body what it needs for a while. The WORST that can happen is you find the experiment doesn’t work, right? Then we start again with another hypothesis and test it out. But your story isn’t uncommon, and this solution is one that often works :slight_smile: