Need help gaining

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #1

I searched the forum for a while about my question but found mostly info on losing weight as opposed to gaining which is what I want to do going forward. Ok so I lost the spare tire that I set out to and weigh about 20lbs less than when I started low carb in August this year. It’s funny cause In July I started IE 16 hours and about 1600 calories carb around 30%. Very quickly I lost weight, by a month in I was down about 15 lbs, at that point I gradually got my carbs to about 25-30 grams and slowly added calories because I was losing to much weight (I’m now 140lbs, 60yo male) so now I’m eating 1000 calories 3 times a day (8am, 2pm, 7pm) and am barely maintaining my weight, I want to do strength training but think I need to start gaining weight first, anyone have experience with trying to gain on keto that they could share, I’m doing approx 72, 20, 8 with the macro’s. Thanks! Dan, oh yeah, just for the heck of it, in sept I got some blood tests, my cholesterol was up to 201 from my usual 185 but testosterone went up into the 600’s from the usual 400’s range, I read cholesterol might temporarily go up cause your burnin fat, so I’m looking forward to the blood tests in December.

(less is more, more or less) #3

Check out Dr. Ted Naiman, who sounds right up your alley.

Also, there’s a preponderance of evidence that “high cholesterol” is a red herring. Read more here:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/high-ldl-cholesterol-watch-this-before-worrying-thomas-delauer/37704/4

You can overeat, but calories are also a red herring. Eat to satiety, not to what a macro or calories tracker says you can or should eat.

And welcome!

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #4

Very nice, thank you Screenack!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Excercise will help you put on muscle—I assume that’s what you want to put on, not fat—and you will need to eat more protein in order to build it, particularly foods rich in the branched-chain amino acids (leucine, valine, and iso-leucine, if I remember correctly). Eggs and beef are good foods for this, since they contain not just those three, but all the other essential amino acids as well, and in the correct proportions.

(Trevor Quilliam) #6

I’m in the same boat, i’m almost at the point that I have lost enough belly fat and i’m happy, but i want to put some weight back on, I’m currently set up to loose 0.5 lbs per week with my macro set at 5:25:70. when i hit that point i want to start putting weight back on, do stick to the same macros ratio?

(Ken) #7

You have to decide what you mean by “Weight”. If you mean muscle, then it’s by resistance training, eating a caloric excess, and consuming a moderate (35 Percent) amount of protein.Additional carbs around workouts helps as well. You can still maintain an overall lipolyticnutritional pattern, but you can be much more flexible with carbintake. It’s really more of a maintenance type pattern while insuring a small caloric excess.

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #8

I’ve been thinking that upping the protein is the way to go as well (plus fat and a tiny bit of carbs at first) but mainly the protein. Trevor, this is just me, but if I were to start over I wouldn’t wait until I reached my low weight before adding calories because now I’m playing catch up trying to eat more and more just to keep up, seems like my metabolism when into overdrive or something, I lose weight sitting on the couch now or sleeping, I don’t dare exert myself until getting my calories up to about 4000. (I weigh everything I eat). Please stay in touch, I’d like to know what works for you with the weight/muscle gain. The video by Dr. Ted Naiman about exercise to failure is interesting and I’m thinking of giving it a try.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Especially protein that contains branched-chain amino acids. You don’t need to supplement, just eat more beef. And cut back on fat. Dr. Naiman recommends an equal ratio by weight, which works out to 30% protein and 70% fat by calories.