Need help from some 'oldtimers' out there

(Coralie Hilton) #21

they come in 1kg bags!

(bulkbiker) #22

Iā€™m on the case already!

Thoroughly enjoyed my 69th birthday outing with my family, and even a bit of ice cream, so here I go, back on another Extended Fast of 3+ days ā€¦ hoping for 5 days. Weā€™ll see.

However, this will be a modified water-fast and I will allow one cup of coffee with HWC and perhaps one Splenda per day (maybe not even one); and when not drinking the coffee I will replace it with one cup of beef broth via bouillon cube. The only other thing I might ingest is a sugar-free Altoids breath mint if I am going to be dealing with the public. Good old ketones, you know.

I know this might slow some autophagy gains but this is for weight loss and breaking through a 6-week long stall. It is also designed to be a bit easier to follow and observe. In the past Iā€™ve often gone on such strict water-only fasts that I tire of the fast more quickly and/or cave in at the end with too many carbs in refeeding. The total deprivation angle of fasting may be hindering me mentally. Iā€™ve tried this method in the past and it worked very well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

How much table salt (sodium chloride) are you getting? Keep it in the range of 10-15 g/day (including salt already present in food). If itā€™s currently lower, increase it; if more, lower it. In any case, drink only to thirst, not to a target.

Donā€™t use ā€œvegetableā€ oils (actually, they are seed oils). They have too much polyunsaturated fat in them. Switch to butter, tallow, lard, bacon grease for your cooking and fruit oil (avocado, coconut, or olive) for you salad dressing. Make your own mayonnaiseā€”you have more control over the ingredients, and itā€™s yummier.

Donā€™t push fat; itā€™s only in your diet to replace the carb calories. Fat has over twice as many calories per gram as carbohydrate, so you donā€™t need all that much. Eat enough food at each meal to satisfy your hunger; and donā€™t eat a meal unless you are hungry.

If you like calculating the nutrients in your diet, remember that the 20 g/day of carbohydrate is a limit; whereas amounts of protein and fat are rough guidelines that eating to satiety supersedes (whether over or under). Remember also that ā€œmacroā€ targets are calculated as percentages of total calories, not as percentages of total weight, so 100 g of protein (4 cal/g) and 100 g of fat (9 cal/g) are 31% protein and 69% fat. Remember also that meat is roughly 25% protein, so if you want 100 g of protein, you will be eating nearly half a kilo of meat.

Thatā€™s probably enough to be going on with. Keep us posted, all right? Ta-ra! :bacon:

(Coralie Hilton) #25

5 days huh? wowā€¦That is an extended fast! I have done the rice fast (nothing but boiled organic brown rice and herb teas/water over 3 to 14 days) a fair few times in the last few years and I think thatā€™s as far as fasting goes for meā€¦ although I do seem to naturally intermittent fastingā€¦ last food before 8pm and next food between 9-10 amā€¦ though I struggle at the moment due to this wretched diarrhea (11 days now!!) Iā€™m just drained nowā€¦ no idea of cause!

This morning I have only had brothā€¦ hoping to starve whatever is causing this!
Fingers crossed.

Hope your fast goes well!!

(Coralie Hilton) #26

Oooohā€¦ lots to take in! Thank you for such a detailed reply! And for taking the timeā€¦love the bacon thingy at the endā€¦

Not sure how much table salt Iā€™m getting as itā€™s hard to keep trackā€¦ But I would guess itā€™s not over the limit. Yes, drinking water but not overly much, strips out saltā€¦ And I feel like I need more salt rather than less at the moment

I don;t use veggie oils - only olive and avocado or butter, ok, maybe sometimes coconut but I find it too ā€˜floralā€™? at the moment ā€¦
The mayo Iā€™m using is very simpleā€¦ olive oil, free range egg, lemon juice, salt pepperā€¦ Iā€™m really lucky to be able to buy such a simple mayo from a local source! Otherwise i would make it myself.

How much ā€˜vegetable matterā€™ should I be getting in a dayā€¦ I did read somewhere that confliuctedā€¦ I was eating too little/ too muchā€¦ so now Iā€™m confused! I eat (was eating) a lot of kale and cabbage (although I think it was the cabbage that set me off on this diarrhea journey!) with mushrooms, courgette (zuchini) and whatever other keto friendly veggies are lying about.

I read that the proportions should be something like 10% carb, 20% protein and 70% fatā€¦ is that about right? and whatā€™s the best way to track it all?? Iā€™m thinking now that I really do need to calculate it somehow!

Maybe Iā€™m having too much or maybe Iā€™m not getting enoughā€¦ argh itā€™s enough to drive you crackersā€¦

(bulkbiker) #27

Just munching my way through the first 100gā€¦ they are pretty good even though cooked in horrid soy oilā€¦ but bloody tasty for a special lunch.

(Coralie Hilton) #28

What flavour did you go for in the end?

Oh no! I did not know thatā€¦Iā€™m going to defect over to the awfully posh ones, at least they are only 2 ingreadients!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

If you stick to leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables, all of which are reasonably high in fiber, you can have quite a bit, without going over the 20 g/day recommendation, especially if you count the net (i.e., digestible) carbohydrate.

Just be aware that the body has no need for carbohydrate in the diet, so you could do without eating any at all, if you wanted to (thatā€™s called a ā€œzero-carbā€ or ā€œcarnivoreā€ diet). Itā€™s beginning to appear that on a ketogenic diet, fiber is pretty much unnecessary, the benefits being supplied by ketones, so you donā€™t even need to worry about that. Eat veggies if you enjoy them, but donā€™t feel obliged to do so.

(bulkbiker) #30

I got the plain ones in the endā€¦ I have to admit they taste greatā€¦
bugger about the oil though and now I have 840g left to eat! Other half likes them too so maybe not all for meā€¦!

(Coralie Hilton) #31

Actually Paulā€¦ that is precisely what I was logging in here to write!!

I have been so dragged down by this diarrhea nonsense and the weekly yoyo lose/gain that I was thinking half heartedly about giving upā€¦

Then I got Carb Managerā€¦ (sounds like a peppy advert!)ā€¦ but it really opened my eyes to how MUCH sheer volume of carbs I was eating!! Probably in the 40-70gram range! (I do like veggies!!)

Soā€¦ long story shorterā€¦ I went a bit (lot!) Carnivore keto this weekendā€¦

And I lost 4lbs yesterday!

Every pee stick is in the darker shades whereas before they were never any kind of colour except last thing at nightā€¦ ok ok I know they are ā€˜for confirmation, not informationā€™ but itā€™s really good to see that colour change!!!

So thereā€™s me every week tweaking one thing or another - less meat, more meat, less fat, more fat, nuts, no nuts, ditto cheeseā€¦

No really worried about long term carnivore as I take plenty of supplements for the other vits and mins not supplied by meat/fatā€¦

so watch this space guys and a HUGE enormous thank you for everyone whoā€™s helped me kick this keto butt into shape here!

(Coralie Hilton) #32

Ohhh theblack pepper ones are scrummy tooā€¦ hopethe OH can help you out! Maybe make some keto fried chicken with them (can supply recipe?) but we are better off without the yeast extractā€¦ I am waiting on my amazon order for the awfully posh onesā€¦ om nom