Need Advice:OMAD

(Tim W) #23

Good advice! I’ve found it best to do as Megan Ramos suggests and “keep the body guessing”. After several months of the same OMAD schedule I found I got hungry at the same time of day, no matter how many calories I had consumed the previous day. To me, that was still more proof that hunger is often due to routine rather than need. It can make it a pain to fast and have to ignore that hunger on the “normal cycle” but, I can ignore it because I know it’s the body just doing the “usual thing”. After a day or two of fasting the hunger signal that showed up like clockwork goes away.

(Jay Patten) #24

@infromsea is 100% right about routine. How many times have we eaten “because it’s dinner time” even though we weren’t even hungry? :thinking:

(Shromona Das) #25

Great videos…I subscribe to Sahil’s channel…he’s been a real inspiration. I even tried doing the carnivore diet for a while but gave up. I guess I wasn’t doing it write. Besides, it’s stressful to do it if one doesn’t have access to pork/beef. I can’t eat fish and chicken and eggs for an entire month.

(Shromona Das) #26

About OMAD, I’ve decided to eat till I’m full and not eat till I’m hungry. So I had two meals today. My first meal was at 11 and the second at 2 p.m.

I’m still full.

(Shromona Das) #27

I guess I’ll try OMAD on alternative days. That too not in a regular pattern. Hope it helps. I did have whet protein today and am slightly bloated. I had fatty mutton and egg but my app (healthifyme) is registering that I had more protein than fat. Since I’ve been barred by my physician to consume HWC, butter or ghee or any other product linked to dairy, finding good fat sources have been like a treasure hunt. Did I make a mistake today?

(Candy Lind) #28

You poor thing! And now the dairy ban? :sob: What kind of meats are you eating? Where do you get them? Can you get chickens? Lots of chicken skin could help. Can you get nuts and seeds? I assume you can get eggs? If so, maybe this Stone Age Loaf could help you get in more fat in a tasty way. Very calorie-dense and great keto macros.

I just can’t imagine all of my fat coming from CO & OO! You are a SUPER TROOPER to continue keto under those conditions.

(a6d08ffd2d46e10e9044) #29

Really novice question…what is OMAD?

(Candy Lind) #30

One meal a day. Here:

Wiki-Acronyms
You’re welcome!

(CharleyD) #31

We call it a spare tire here in the states, so it’s not a typo, hehe.
There’s no special achievement for eating OMAD consistently, and the IDM program have stated that it is best to keep your body guessing since compensatory mechanisms kick in and adjust your metabolic rate to what it gets used to receiving. It becomes strategic to throw in 16:8 and 20:4 in there occasionally.

My difficulties with it are that I know I’m most satisfied when I eat meat, especially beef. So pounds of greens and avocados and coconut oil aren’t efficient.

I’ve been lurking …but the podcast with Megan (Switching it up with Megan Ramos) said that if you’re in maintenance mode than OMAD is good, but she doesn’t recommend it on a regular basis if you’re trying to drop the weight. I get into the OMAD routine easily but after hearing that interview I’m trying to start and end my fasts earlier.

(Shromona Das) #33

I lost a lot of weight when I did 18:6 or 20:4 but u didn’t follow the exact same time gap everyday. I lost a lot on OMAD too, but just initially. I believe 2 meals a day might be a good option. But do people lose weight by doing OMAD long-term? Remember that this is my last ten pounds, so it’s going to be harder than ever.

(TJ Borden) #34

I can’t speak to the difficulty of the last few pounds, because I’m still over a hundred away from that point, but have you tried extended fasting?

The @Brenda February Zorn Fast is coming up. That’s a Thursday thru Sunday fast that many people join into together, and everyone can tweak it to their needs. Some for less, many go more. Some do a fat fast, some just water. I’ll be doing water, coffee, salt, and dreaming of a fathead pizza when I’m done.

That can also be a great way to get out of the OMAD rut.

(CharleyD) #35

There’s some nuance that may need to be understood. Your body learns to get by with what you give it. So if you don’t give it regular deliveries of, for example, complete protein, animal meat, then what it will do is conserve or down-regulate growth pathways that require them. That’s why vegans can shuffle along for a while just eating veggies and a little longer if they supplement. This is the essence of epigenetics as I understand it in Deep Nutrition. The choices you make as far as food intake are a message to your DNA as to the availability of nutrients outside.

So while OMAD as a strategy is fine, what you choose to eat then becomes important. If you are low in complete protein, then you may not be able to build muscle/rebuild tissues. If you eat more protein then you will spare what you have and then your body may elect to get back to work on those ‘long term building projects’ as they put it nicely on Nourish Balance Thrive I’ve recently picked up.

And this is why if you are at a stall or plateau, what it may take to bust it is to eat a little more, or make sure what you’re eating is more nutrient dense than energy dense, to ramp up the metabolism a bit. And yes, as @Baytowvin mentioned, an EF with zero food can improve the metabolic rate. But we can’t tell you how long that will take since it’s pretty individual.

BMI is not really that helpful, but at 46kg (±101) your BMI is already 18.2. And you want to lose 10 pounds. I understand you are petite and feel better weighing less. I respect that, but don’t forget that being happy and healthy is our main goal. I have a difficult time believing you have really “huge thighs” lol. I’m not implying you have an eating disorder or anything, just suggesting you don’t need to sweat it too much. Wish you all the best. :tulip:

(Shromona Das) #37

Thanks thanks thanks! Yes, so decision made: a. I’m having more nutrition dense protein from today, really taking care of the quality of food that I’m eating.

B. I will consider EF though I don’t think I can go without food.

C. Of course it’s hyperbole. I am 5’2.5 and 46 KGS now (I was 67 kgs) nine months ago) but honestly, I’m not unhappy about either my hips or thighs. It’s just my belly that I really really want gone. Not because I’m trapped in a faulty beauty myth, but because I felt better when I was down to 42. Then I ate crap and deviated and became fatigued. See, I’ve been a good addict. I love food. I hated exercise. I wouldn’t walk from my house to the nearest market. But then I started having problems with my polycystic ovarian cysts. Irregular periods, cramming, muscle pain. My doctor said that one way to go about it is to take medication and the other is to lose weight. That clicked. I wanted to do anything to get out of the horrifying recurring UTI cycle. I was tired of the injections. Antibiotics had stopped working by then. Hence I found keto, hence I started going out on morning walks. Walking is now my mode of cleansing crap off my head. I walk a lot. My enlarged ovaries have become smaller in size. I do ultrasound every six months. Somehow, when I stand in front of the mirror I cannot tell that I look any different from the older me. Because I see myself everyday. But I can tell that my belly affects my energy. If I deviate and grow a belly, or bloat, I feel lethargic. I want to see how far I can go. That’s why losing these last ten pounds has become so important. You know how fat kids are bullied. I’ve been a fat kid all my life. This isn’t revenge. This is just telling myself that there’s happiness in not munching over chips while watching Netflix all day. This is just telling myself that if I’m depressed I should just walk through beautiful village avenues. Bust some steam off. I have a lot of stretch marks and I’m so proud of them. If I end up with lose skin I’ll exercise but never be humiliated about them. They’re like battle scars. :slight_smile: I’m sorry for going on and on about my personal life. But usually, since I don’t talk to people much, I say “I still have huge thighs”. I don’t. Besides " huge " is always a perspective. And the society feeds off these insecurities. It’s just that I felt more physically good when I was down weight wise. I miss that.

It’s great to hear about people’s experience, so write away! I’m glad to hear you have managed to turn around your health with food and a new life style. And you are right, society feeds off our insecurities. So It’s great to have each other to remind ourselves of that!

(Dan Dan) #39

We talk a lot about weight because a lot of us have a lot of body fat and excess skin to lose but we really mean a change in body composition :thinking:

Try this a couple times a day :grin:

The Four Minute Workout is a new concept of exercise that revolves around the body’s ability to use Nitric Oxide for muscle growth. This is an efficient anaerobic workout that can be done multiple times per day. The more frequently you do it, the better your results.

(Pat S) #40

OK, newbie question. What does OMAD stand for?

(Dan Dan) #41

One Meal A Day OMAD :smile:

(Pat S) #42

Dan_Dan Regular
February 11Thank you!
One Meal A Day OMAD :smile:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

PatSal Pat S
February 11
OK, newbie question. What does OMAD stand for?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.