Need advice for slipping (carb wise) the last few days. 3 weeks in

I am loving this WOE. It feels right. Both my husband and I jumped in. So, without fail, I had some carb splurges. NO excuses. I went from 20 grams to about 80 2 days in a row. What is the best way to get back in the zone when you carb slip up. TIA

(Ellie) #2

Just go back to 20g!
KCKO (keep calm keto on!)

If you really fancy it you could do an 24 fast the next day and then start again.
Otherwise, just try not to let it happen too often or it will derail you.

@ketocat03 I have done an egg fast (6 eggs a day for two or three days I can’t remember), but that’s a little extreme if you’re not used to eating a lot eggs.

@Jacymac is right, just go back to 20g of carbs and keto on! A 24 hour fast is great too. In fact I just did the same thing. Ate a really big lunch Tuesday, and then I skipped Wednesday, followed with a big breakfast this morning. Feeling great!

Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up about it. We all slip from time-to-time. Everyday is a new day to keto!

(Mary Jo Koplos) #4

A fat fast can be a good way to get back of track as well. It lets you eat to satiety, which can help with any residual carb cravings, and get back into fat-burning mode.

thank you guys! I feel better. I don’t want slips to be a normal for me, but I do want to know that I"m not doomed.

So not “fancy” but good to know that’s an option.

You’re not doomed, lol. :slight_smile:

The beginning is the best time to figure out what works for your body, keeping within keto guidelines. That’s why you’re getting so many different great suggestions.

My suggestion is that, if you’re craving carbs, simply increase the fat at each meal until you feel sated. At the beginning you’re not going to feel “sated” so much as FULL…VERY FULL, lol. Your body won’t have switched over to using fats efficiently yet, so that may contribute to the cravings. They’re temporary and will eventually go away. It took 3 months for me to become fat-adapted. And I find that even now if I don’t eat enough fat/food for long periods, I fall out of fat adaptation and ketosis and have to work to get back in. YMMV, though.

Just wanted to reassure you that it’s all going to be ok. :smile:

Which actually leads to an important question. “Fats?” So far the only healthy fat I can grab and go is avocado and/or nuts? Am I missing something? How much cheese can one eat, because I will eat a wheel of Brie NO PROBLEM! lol

That’s a reasonable question. By “fats” I mean avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, bacon grease (aka bacon nectar, lol), chicken fat (aka schmaltz), lard, beef tallow, butter, ghee, cream (NOT half-n-half), cream cheese, coconut milk, etc. Both to cook with and to add to dishes such as plopped/poured on top of meat or veggies, salad dressings, etc. Hope this helps!

ETA: I know what you mean about the brie. Try adding butter with it. A near- religious experience, lol!

I need a tube of squeeze lard for my purse. (as long as I grab that and not my pepper spray) lol. I went so far as to have a few slices of Brie with sugar free maple syrup drizzled on top.

I smell a keto marketing idea! LOL!!

OK, now a little seriousness. Snacking isn’t good on keto. Every time you eat, you get an insulin spike. The greatest spike is from carbs, then a smaller spike from protein, then a small spike from fats. So snacking on brie (even though delicious!) will still spike your insulin.

I don’t know your personal info, but many of us have disregulated insulin. It is way too high on baseline, it overresponds, and/or it stays too high too long. So it’s best to not snack, thereby preventing that spiking. You’ll hear some refer to it as deranged insulin or deranged metabolism. (I SOOOO want a t-shirt that says “Damaged and Deranged”, lol!)

Anyway, this may or may not apply to you, but I felt it was important to put It out there for any others who might read this thread that it does apply to.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #12

wheel of brie is goooood, you just need a pound of bacon to go with it mmmmmmmm.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #14

What Virginia says is spot on for T2. I am T2 and only eat Max 2 times a day this is easy until I cook up a pound of streaky bacon ha ha! I like to warm up the brie then dip the bacon in it and use it as a spoon.
I feel an experiment coming on! so here’s my idea, take a wheel of brie cut like you would a sponge cake for layering then cook up some Streaky bacon let cool a bit so it’s warm not hot. Layer the bacon on one half of the brie and put the top back on and bake on a low heat so it softens but not so warm the brie makes a break for it. let it cool and eat. Brie’n’Bacon pie anyone!

ohhhhh yum…
love the crunchy bacon spoon idea

Ok, that’s OFFICIALLY yum!!!

Suggestion. Make a keto pie crust and bake all that inside the pie crust for a real baked brie! OMG! OMG! OMG!

Let us know how your experiment goes. We’ll be drooling…er…waiting over here. :smile:

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #17

Bacon done just need brie, getting the brie wheel today, If I get one today I’ll make it then eat it and then post pics of an empty plate :cheese: :bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::cheese: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #18

It’s a conspiracy! I can’t find a brie wheel anywhere, so i’m gonna try bacon and smoked garlic camembert.

Discuss.

(Running from stupidity) #19

Plenty good enough