Need a new Doctor

(bikeflea) #1

I went in for my annual physical…

Told my doctor I was low carb and have given up sugar… instead of saying good he said “you need to eat sugar! Your brain has to have sugar!” … so the last year of mental alertness, focus and clarity I gained low carb was all in my head? (Pun intended… he didn’t think I was funny)

we then talked about my cancer history and I told him I was fasting… “what?” I asked him if he read current research… told him a few facts … after he stopped laughing he said “obese people get more cancer. Sugar didn’t cause it, it’s because they are obese “.

The last piece of idiocy that did it for me was when he told me I need to do sustained cardio if I want to drop the weight. Like running. The weights and walking I’m doing don’t help weight loss. It’s not enough cardio.

So… like the half marathon training I was doing and seeing zero results? Needless to say I’m not going back to him.

I feel so bad that people are being educated on ego. He didn’t care about what I was saying only that I challenged him at every turn. Never once did he say that’s interesting I need to read that.

(Mark Rhodes) #2

and obesity is caused by what? …sedentary lifestyle and to many calories.

(Ethan) #3

Kick that doc to the curb! Also, write a bad review that he doesn’t understand science.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I’d be looking too if that happened to me. Hopefully one of these will help you find a replacement:

https://ketogenic.com/tools/keto-clinicians-finder/

Doctor related but not in Health category

This speaks to my fear of talking to any doctor, and I’m a nurse! Hahahaha! The ego and the complete refusal to look at the science is stunning! And horrific, malpractice and etc.

I have no PCP and in my VERY rural area may be very unlikely to find one who will be able to “hear” anything other than “the same old same old” of the AHA and ADA.

I want to get an order for some labs sometime soon, and I’m going to have to fish around for an MD who will just write up the order per my request. But, I look at it this way, I’M the CUSTOMER, so give me what I WANT! :smiley:

I hope you will be able to get the Dr that will be able to think for themselves and have enough curiosity or, dare I say, knowledge, regarding these topics.

Well, thanks for that link! It looks like there are two in my state, and only 3.5 hours away…hooray. Or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(mike) #7

You should also consider a Functional Medicine Doctor. The more I learn about this specialty (mostly from listening to Dr Will Cole) the more I understand they focus on natural healing and are more inclined to treat based on science rather than opinion.

Good Luck!

Hi, have you checked out https://requestatest.com/ ? I heard about them on a keto podcast but darned if I can remember which.
I haven’t used them yet but I’m thinking about it. I also need a new GP. At my last visit I got the “statin talk” he was not happy that I refused to go on dangerous medication on the basis of an unproven hypothesis and an obsolete test.

Thanks! It looks like one an hour and a half away. A shame that with all the doctors <15 minutes from my house I might have to drive halfway across SC to go to one that might be worth the time for. I’ve unfortunately come to feel that the quickest way to ruin your health is to visit a Dr.

(Karen Fricke) #10

I guess I’m lucky, my doctor eats whole food, has no problem with keto, and isn’t against fasting as long as it’s only one day a week. I just won’t tell him how many days.

Hey Bob, thanks for the link I’ll take a look. I’ve been putting this off for too long.
I wish I had testing done prior to my changes in WOE and IF/EF but didn’t and so I have no baseline for comparisons. Still, I need to know where I’m at and I’m especially interested in those lipids and a fasting insulin.

Oh yes, I think the same sad thought…what has happened to “first, do no harm”?!

Oh dear, that was a tough post to read. He shouldn’t be practicing medicine.
(“it’s because they are obese” as if he were talking about eye color… like obesity is some fixed trait or is just appears out of nowhere)
Yes, you definitely need a new doctor! I hope some of the suggestions from folks are useful.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his income depends on his not understanding it.” H. L. Mencken

I think a lot of GPs are genuinely misinformed (and many genuinely decent and truly wanting to help) but it seems that far too many are too arrogant to step back and see if they’ve been wrong.
Of course it must be awful to have years of med school, years of practice, and have someone come into your office and tell you that you are 30 years behind the science.

… but if you can’t look around and see your patients get sicker and sicker and take more and more meds no matter what they do… a lightbulb should come on in your head that something is terribly wrong with the status quo.

OUCH! Yes, I agree this has to be extremely awkward for them since they are taught that they are the “experts”. However, only someone who is willing to continue to seek and assimilate new data can really be considered an expert in my opinion.

Nutrition is so misunderstood and not likely to be promoted by those who fund medical research facilities and institutions of “higher learning” or even the CDC etc. due to the power of the lobbies in our capitol.

Drugs and surgeries, surgical tools and durable medical equipment…oh the money that would be lost. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Now I’m ranting…clearly I need to get some sleep!

Drs. Phinney & Volek are cofounders with Sami Inkinen of a company called Virta Health providing personalized at-a-distance medical coaching, case management/labs, and online tools for LCHF/keto metabolic healing. Not covered by insurance, and is $400 month, so not economically feasible for many - but their data will hopefully lead to some public health and medical schools training reform down the road!

(Keto in Katy) #17

This is precisely my objection. I understand that docs are intelligent people and want to do well for their patients. But when you see that the “standard of care” is not working and you refuse to investigate it and look for a solution, then you are complicit in the outcomes and part of the problem.

(Sophie) #18

^^^^ This! A Million Times This!