Doctor related but not in Health category

(jim Chiodo) #1

What does your doctor say? Keto is working for me (down about 35lb from 325 in 4 months). I feel good and have no major health problems, no diabettes, no high blood pressure, etc. What i do have is constipation off and on.

I asked doc to refer me to a nutritionist to help me understand how magnesium, fiber, etc might help with regularity. He did refer me to a nutritionist at the hospital but the insurance company doesn’t cover it. They did tell me about a special program" that is zero deductible and after jerking me around, not knowing “codes” for billing, turn out the program is with my regular doc.

So i go to first apt with him and he doesn’t have a clue. Said i should take Miralax and experiment with dosage until it was right balance. He said he treats sickness, etc and has no nutritional training. He didn’t like the idea of the keto diet. (no problem with low carb, but didn’t like the high fat part. He referred me to a program with the national pre diabettes foundation. Yeah, right, they’re gonna shove the high grain, low fat pyramid at me.

My outlook isn’t great. Been with this doc for 20 yrs and finding a new one who accepts new patients on Medicare is going to be tough. Of course, I could always fine a pay for play consierge doctor, but that would involve buying a lottery ticket (the winning one)

Does anyone have a good relationship with a helpful doc who understands keto and is supportive?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I’m lucky, I just told my Dr. I am doing low carbs, healthy fats, she likes my results and so far has said ok to any tests I have asked for. Not all drs. are so kind. If she hadn’t played along with me I had gone through some lists and found Dr. Gerber in South Denver and he is in my insurance network, but it is a bit of a drive down there. I felt lucky my dr. was fine with what I am doing.
As for as the science, more of that is in the Show me the Science threads here than any nutritionist’s or dietician’s head.

Maybe these lists will be helpful?